Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
I came across this which while it doesn't spec the VS exhaust might be interesting.
1 & 3 are paired together inside the exhaust as are 2 & 4.
2 & 4 have to travel a little further than 1 & 3 to escape into the main body of the exhaust which must somewhat make up for the shorter distance through your heater boxes.
This particular one is destined for a Beetle. The tail pipe(s) are connected to the central chamber. There are holes to the outer cambers, but no flow through them as far as I can see and that's where the AFR fittings are. I'd like to see inside a side exit bus version.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://blog.bbt4vw.com/2019/10/30/asia-factory-tour-building-an-exhaust-vintage-speed/

Thank you for posting this! Very nice!

Let me show you another one.

So....I here are a few things have been looking at:

1. the "T-bird" style and the stainless T-bird style.....I can find well made, short header merges in 1"-5/8" in stainless from numerous header sites. I can even find them with expanded slip fit inlet joints. I will post a few lengths later.

2. I can buy a small pile of pre-curved and straight tube sections in stainless. I can get them with expanded slip joints on the straight sections if needed from numerous mandrel bent tubing houses.

3. I have already CC'd each of the 4 header tubes coming from each cylinder and know the exact tube lengths needed to run from each exhaust flange to the header inlets.

4. I can use pre-cut flexible plastic tube to model the radius and lengths......

....so I can weld a little bit better/smoother version of the stainless header....that has exact lengths.......or if I could get my hands on one to cc it....the EMPI header listed may nit be that bad....even though the entry angle from 2 cylinders to the collector....is not that great.

So what muffler to put on it? How to get one that is built well and is very well engineered inside....in the right shape, size and inlet pattern?

Check this out:

https://www.donaldson.com/content/dam/donaldson/en...-Guide.pdf

Most specifically...this truck muffler company makes stainless mufflers...lists flow rates, has excellent technology, makes mufflers with straight through and offset inlets and outs in a range of sizes.

Specifically look at the tech in the first 10 pages....scroll through and then look at the guide starting on page 65.

Look at style #1 and #2 on the guide pages
Part # M085056 can be found for $135/ 8.5” body diameter 21” long or
M085408 which is 8.5” diameter and 19.75” long both have 3” inlet.

Or

M065034 with 2.5” diameter inlet and 6.62” diameter and 18.56” length
M065139 with 2.5” diameter inlet and 6.62” diameter and 17.75” length about $117

These can be gotten in correct sized inlet and outlet...with correct volume flow and in these internal configurations....in stainless.

I can google most of the part #'s in my list and find them on Amazon in the $135 range.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection Reply with quote

That's interesting, a fairly simple way forward but sadly I don't have the tools or skills or premises to even adapt a silencer...which is a shame, such an easy way to get the right performing muffler for your engine, particularly if an existing header passes muster. They are cheap mufflers though? Gas has just a 1 year warranty. Aluminised steel. Sounds a bit cheap and cheerful?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
That's interesting, a fairly simple way forward but sadly I don't have the tools or skills or premises to even adapt a silencer...which is a shame, such an easy way to get the right performing muffler for your engine, particularly if an existing header passes muster. They are cheap mufflers though? Gas has just a 1 year warranty. Aluminised steel. Sounds a bit cheap and cheerful?

Well...I think the already stainless steel EMPI or VW heritage header mentioned in this thread....may be good enough. A few ....smarter than me people like Alstrup in the performance forums said from his experience its good enough that the small differences of not 100% equal length dont really make much difference. I say they might with D-jet...and might with valve overlap....but maybe not much.

In that case it really comes down to what decently quiet, well built, stainless low restriction muffler...would fit in the leftover small space we have.

I think the technology in the type of mufflers made for trucks in that link....are more similar to what our cars already use...than standard zig-zag or glass filled mufflers. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection Reply with quote

Maybe shut down this thread and use the identical one in the Performance folder now?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736701
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection Reply with quote

It's not identical. This one is for stock muffler dissection and design to fit a specific car, the other is about Vintage Speed internals generally and the VS AFR fitting location. Smile
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection Reply with quote

Yes.....please do not shut THIS thread down......this is MY thread about the stock muffler guts. In fact.....I did not even at first notice this was a thread I started.....had to go back to page 1 Laughing

KTPhil.... I am actually glad you posted a link to Zed999's thread in this thread.....because it keeps it all linked together for ME in my technology/idea list.

I think together both threads have some bearing on each other. We all like the stock muffler sound, simplicity of install and compactness of fit.

But.....for those with stock or hotter but near stock engines.....we could use something both a little better build quality and a little more free flowing than whats available right now.

This dissection thread was/is part of my thought process towardm...whether there is anything I can buy that bolts up and does what I need......or if Im going to have to design and build. I have actually been designing and re-designing a muffler I hope I dont have to build....for years. Ray
Deanaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection Reply with quote

Ray,
Thanks for your extensive description of the muffler system- not sure why shutting it down would ever be considered.
So bottom, line, where to get a replacement muffler, and do I need to replace the closed-end tube also?
Deanah
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection Reply with quote

Deanaha wrote:
Ray,
Thanks for your extensive description of the muffler system- not sure why shutting it down would ever be considered.
So bottom, line, where to get a replacement muffler, and do I need to replace the closed-end tube also?
Deanah

Closed end tube? What is that? Do you mean it has a small tube on the end opposite the tailpipe? That would be an EGR connection. If your 411/412 is not a California car and/or does not use EGR...no...you do not need that tube. You will find at the links below that the ones with EGR tube and the nes without are seperate part numbers and both are available.

For a basic stock exhaust.....for a 1.7L or 1.8L....its not too hard to find one. But....there is wide variation in quality.

The most common one you will find is Dansk. Made in Denmark. However.....while they are perfectly serviceable and do last well...the welding quality is kind of poor. While they will not fall apart...they are a bit restrictive.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/13167865-071251053E?...-QQAvD_BwE

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D071%2D251%2D053%2DE

Other mufflers:

This one on ebay is called a "damper type" muffler. It is about 30% more quiet than the muffler with the end mounted tailpipe....but it a little more restrictive. Not that it will make much difference byt can run a little hotter in hot climates.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-411-muffler-70-74-yr-4...Sw6tte4nyR

Also....the damper style ebay muffler...does not come with a tailpipe. The tailpipes are VERY hard to find. They have not been in production in maybe 30 years. They make both left and right hand versions and they are not interchangeable. So if you decide to buy that muffler....make sure you find out if its right or left hand and FIRST locate a tailpipe. It cannot be used without the center outlet pipe.

There are usually some NOS center outlet pipes for sale in the classifieds...but again make sure they are right or left hand.

THIS....is an EXCELLENT muffler. Leistritz i one of the best brands. Very high quality This one is NOS and Heimlich is a great guy and has very good parts.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2071676

If yours needs a new tailpipe...ask him or look at CIP1.

Here is another Leistritz:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2202086

Another unknown brand. I would find out what brand and ask to see the stamped information plate before spending $240 though.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1456385

This one....would be fantastic! A made in Germany, stock replacement muffler....but in stainless steel! It should last forever. But it says out of stock. Between shipping and Euro cost it would be about $500.
https://www.typ4shop.de/Abgasanlagen/Auspufftopf-f...zontalTab2

Another option I hear very good things about is this:

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/1973-~1979-Type-4-Engine-Baywindow-BUS-c33978055

Ray
JGarland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection Reply with quote

Was looking for info on this muffler, and ended up here. This will fit the 914
with both the notched, and port hole valance’s. Each requires the correct tailpipe. Also seems like it’s stainless, definitely not just stamped steel.

Photo show’s comparison to early stock muffler.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ernst 411-412 muffler cross section and dissection Reply with quote

The two numbers:

The top number 52 04551 is a Wagner part # for a muffler that fits a range of vehicles from 411/412 to VW bus.

The bottom number with the DK prefix....from everything I (and others) have been able to find appears to be the Dansk part # for the same product.

We have some discussion or these numbers on the first page of this thread and if you search those numbers there are some other discussions in the Bay window bus forums.

As noted on the first page of this thread, over a long period of time we are pretty sure that Wagner, Starla and Dansk have all been seperate parts of the same parent company and may still be and now owned by Jopex.

As for whether it's stainless steel..... on one hand I would be really surprised because outside of the link I posted back in 2018 to a specialty company in Germany who makes stainless reproductions of this muffler for ~$500.....I have never seen a stock stainless muffler made by any of these companies for the aircooled VW market.

On the other hand....with so many companies involved in the manufacturing of these mufflers both now and going back decades....and the fact that Wagner was and has been originally known as one of the companies to first specialize in stainless exhaust system parts.....maybe it is stainless.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: