Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ISO weekender rear bench seat doors....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
E_Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

Does anyone have a set of these they are willing to part with - or know of a clever way to fix them? I have the two original doors but clips on the top have been broken off since I got them. I have tried several solutions to no avail.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

I am newly a 2002 Weekender owner and had the same question. (This is my first post here.)

I found this one, but it's not available anymore:
http://www.eurocampers.com/1999-2003-EuroVan-MV-ac...p_374.html

The ones on our Weekender are pretty badly scuffed up, but if I can get my hands on one that's like-new on its textured front face, I could cast a duplicate of that in plastic (I do quite a bit of product development work by day), modify the tabs / securing-aspects for better durability, and make a few of them.

I've got a few ideas on how the stock ones might be improved, and it seems like these covers breaking is a pretty common problem, based on ones we looked at while shopping for ours. I actually find myself wondering if their might be some super-micro niche market for them as low-volume production parts?

RELATED TO THAT, I'm also wondering, as we restore little odd bits on ours, what Eurovan parts (cosmetic especially) are still available new from dealers (at crazy prices, I'm sure, but still available nonetheless), and which aren't. Is there a quick way to find that out online somehow?

Obviously, I will also probably need a parts reference guide as a starting place for that question. Anyone know if this one is worthwhile?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-2003-VW-EUROVAN-PARTS-LIST-MANUAL-CATALOG-/301960225194
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alapah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

I keep hoping someone will find a way to 3D print them!

I have one in fine shape and one with minor damage but so far the only way I can figure getting one is to find a scrapped Eurovan or someone parting out one.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

They could absolutely be 3D printed, but unless you do so on a very high-end printer, you'll lose the default texturing. There could also potentially be some strength issues at the poorly-designed stress points, but those could probably be addressed pretty easily. Lastly, it's fairly large piece to print, which would tend to force a high-end 3D printer just due to needing a large printing envelope.

If I don't succeed in finding a like-new-face one, I'll probably make a 3D CAD model of one, and see what I can mill on the CNC, (I can also picture all kinds of cool custom options). First, though, I'd like to just recreate something stock-looking using a casting of the stock face + some mods for the back.

Any chance you want to sell that "fine shape" one? I could even send one of our scuffed ones as a replacement "core." Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

Those parts are NLA. You are stuck with NOS or used.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

Does anyone have the part number for these little covers handy somewhere? I'd like to find out what they used to cost, and might also be helpful in finding a excellent-condition salvage one somewhere (or even a NOS one) that I can use for making prototype casting mold.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

I'd be willing to donate one if it meant we could get quality replacements.

out of four weekenders I own, I have four of these little doors. four. Maybe one of them is worthwhile? Next time they come back in to the shop I'll have a look.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
I'd be willing to donate one if it meant we could get quality replacements.

out of four weekenders I own, I have four of these little doors. four. Maybe one of them is worthwhile? Next time they come back in to the shop I'll have a look.

If you're serious about that, I'll take you up on it. I'll see if I can PM an address to you right after I post this. Smile
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

Drat, still in New User probation mode -- can't PM yet. Sad I'll try again tomorrow or the next day.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

aboydfletcher

at

gmail

dot

com
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

Meanwhile, here's a picture of one of our scuffed-up ones. Both look about like this, and of course one of the tabs is broken on it too. I'm assuming there is a piece missing in the "handle" part (circled in the picture). What is that supposed to look like?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

Here's the back:

Answering my own earlier question, I'm guessing the number the arrow is pointing to is the part number. 7D0 868 231A.

...and searching for that, I found the panel they fit into, which is apparently part 7D0 868 613A:

(Note: this listing above is anonymized -- I don't know the seller, nor am I'm not trying to sell anything by posting it.)

I've also seen a version of this rear seat panel that does NOT have access panels. What years/models have that rather than the one with the access panels?
alapah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

This link shows what the intact door front looks like: http://www.eurocampers.com/1999-2003-EuroVan-MV-ac...p_374.html

My one broken one still snaps into the cavity but the handle is broken off. Never found an adhesive that worked to keep it back in place. I have it in a baggie somewhere...

(unfortunately, i am a few thousand miles away from my Weekender so can't take pics of the state of mine)
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

When something breaks (esp the handle) use JB Weld. You can blend it to match the grey.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

@alapah I wasn't sure if that EuroCampers.com one looked exactly like stock (or perhaps was literally an OEM part) or not -- thanks for clarifying that.

I'm surprised that handle is silver -- seems like black would match the rest of the interior better (at least it would mine).

Is the inserted handle part actually metal, or just silver-painted plastic?

@DenverB Thanks for your email contact info, and again thanks for the offer of a donor part to work from. I plan to email you my ship-to address tomorrow.
alapah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

Hm, it does look silver in that image but mine at least are grey plastic like the rest of the door with the exception, if I remember correctly, that the handle has a smoother finish than the door and surrounding plastic. I'm pretty sure the handle part is a denser type of plastic vs the rest of the door.

I'll try to find a better image. Wish I was near mine to take a pic!
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the silver handle version was from the European Mulitvan model -- where VW upgraded the interior.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

The handle is HDPE plastic. The cover is LDPE. Both are grey. The handle snaps into the cover. Cover is textured finish and handle is smooth with 4 indentations in it.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

Just a follow up on this: I plan to do a very short prototype run of a revised version of these once I receive the like-new one @DenverB has graciously offered to send. If you are interested in participating in that, feel free to PM me.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what the OEM ones used to sell for when they were available?
boostin20v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ISO weekender rear bench seat doors.... Reply with quote

Using the part number on the Eurocamper's site I found this link - http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Volkswagen...B-U71.html

Looks ~70 would get you one when they were available.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: