Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Well,
Just after I had the drag strip legal cage built for my buggy, I had an opportunity to purchase the body from my favorite VW based race car. It was campaigned in the early 80s while I was in high school and it was the car that got me interested in VW drag racing.
I'm moving all the parts less the pan and body from the buggy to this project.

I'm very happy!

As it sits now
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In all it's glory

Last edited by vwfye on Sat May 14, 2016 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster project Reply with quote

Congrats!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster project Reply with quote

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster project Reply with quote

The wheelie bars and air scoop suggest a "bit" more than the standard 1200cc weedeater motor....
How was it powered back in the day?
And your power plans?

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster project Reply with quote

Loyd Mosher's old speedster!!! SWEET!!!

I recall he used to sell those speedster shells (funny car style) for $1000 or so, back in the 80's. I always wanted one.

That's super cool. Make sure you put plenty of power in it!!!

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster project Reply with quote

mild 2275 with a touch of boost... nothing too extreme.
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster project Reply with quote

How was it originally powered back in the day???

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster project Reply with quote

Originally it was an 82x88, high compression engine in front of the transmission. I can't afford to do a mid-engine chassis.

I have the original builder's ear and he blessed stuffing a turbo in it.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster project Reply with quote

The 85" wheelbase is going to make getting it ready a bit of work as the i have to trim 9".
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

11 days!
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

All the Speedster replica kit cars are shortened about 10". Look up build manual (avail online) for a FF/CMC Speedster for shortening instructions. They all had a substantial steel subframe which added to rigidity and made cutting pan accurately critical.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

There will bw rigidity. It will have a racing cage, not just a roll bar.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

1 week from today, I start my sojourn over to get the body and pan. This is going to be a very long week.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

This has been the longest month. Finally I leave in the morning to go get the project.
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

You make it sound like it is on the other side of the world!
Did your momma never tell you that life is about the journey, not just the destination?

Looking forward to more posts on this project!

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

I've been all over North America... it was the wait, not the distance. 13-14 hours each way is pretty short to me.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Well, I now have the car body home. Lots to fix!

1800+ miles driven in only 36.5 hours total time... 3 hours for sleep, food and fuel...

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

Ah yes....nothing like the feeling of dragging home a new project, the stars in our eyes hiding the reality of the months, sometimes years, of blood, sweat, and beers before project completion.

Here's to you my friend Applause

Ravinsomniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

From the scrapes on the body, it looks like the car went over at speed. Looking at the side of it, I noticed the top lip in the back over the engine compartment. If air gets under there at speed, it will push down and make the front of the car come up, especially if all the engine weight is hanging off of the back of the car, instead of flipped around, mid-engine. Wheelie bars help, but it could get scary above 110 MPH when your front tires won't stay on the ground. This is where wind tunnel testing is imperative if you can afford a couple tests before you blast down the track. It's always best to keep the rubber side down.
Wink
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster projectproject-- Little Giant Killer 3 Reply with quote

It was a mid-engine car. Got sideways and then did a roll onto the funnycar cage, slid and ended up back on its wheels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: