Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'86 and earlier rear A/C blower
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: '86 and earlier rear A/C blower Reply with quote

Hey all-

I am beginning the process of swapping out my weekender interior for a full westy. Today I dropped the rear A/C cabinet and while in there I removed the blower motor, which has been making funky sounds- especially in high speed mode. I thought I would have a simple swap on my hands, but it looks like my '86 has the funky transition year setup with the <'85 motor. I can't find a replacement blower online- does anyone have input where I can find one? Is it possible to mod the later model blowers to work with my A/C? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Ryan
Some people call him Maurice...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: '86 and earlier rear A/C blower Reply with quote

Why not try lubricating the shafts?

On my 86 I removed the blower motor, left the fans on the shafts and then set the fan motor at various angles as I dribbled "Sewing machine" oil onto the shaft.
As I applied oil I also rotated the shaft by hand.

Once both shafts were well lubricated, using a 12v power source I hot wired the fan and simply let it run for a half hour or so.

Be aware: The fan creates a remendous wind and will move around a bit, so secure it somehow lest it fall or rolls and damages the fan blades.

Mine works great now!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: '86 and earlier rear A/C blower Reply with quote

What month was your '86 built? It's on the sticker on the drivers door piller. Mine was built in July of '86 and has the newer a/c with the extended duct. Just asking to see if I have the same hard to find old motor.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '86 and earlier rear A/C blower Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
What month was your '86 built? It's on the sticker on the drivers door piller. Mine was built in July of '86 and has the newer a/c with the extended duct. Just asking to see if I have the same hard to find old motor.

Mine is January of 1986.

I will try seeing if lubricating the shafts helps, if not, it may be that my best bet is having the motor rebuilt? I do have a shop in town that has done electric motor repair for me before. Hmm...
Some people call him Maurice...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: