Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedan
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

I need a source on how to correctly adjust the engine lid on a '62 so that is fits does not bind and locks correctly?

Thanks lou
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

I'd love to give you a specific procedure.... but I've had mixed results over the years. I've seen some threads over the years that say much the same. Part of the problem is how old these are. Sometimes it depends on the lid itself has ever had any damage. Then there's the hinges, and the hinge mounting brackets on the body, are those undamaged as well?

I switched to a convertible lid on my 62 several years ago and I never did get it to fit nor latch like the stock one (the original, which I still have) did, no matter how much I shifted the hinge mounts forward/back and the hinges up/down. Those are the only real adjustments, a mixture of those. Beyond that, strategic bending of the hinge mounts might help.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,

My brackets and lid are not damaged. Took the lid and brackets off as I had broken a bolt . I assume there is no right or left bracket so as you say just "play with adjustment"

Grandson and I put the lid and spring on and the lid was a little too far to the left and too large a gap at top. Unfortunately there are no shops around that know how to get it right. The video I found for adjustment was on an earlier car. It was close to correct when I broke the bolt, so I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for the reply

Lou
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

I fought with the same adjustments as you until I gave up and asked an old time VW mechanic to set things straight. He unlocked the latch and lifted the lid near horizontal. Then he grabbed the sides of the lid and twisted, essentially deforming the metal slightly. It's been closing and locking ever since.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

pantone149 wrote:
I fought with the same adjustments as you until I gave up and asked an old time VW mechanic to set things straight. He unlocked the latch and lifted the lid near horizontal. Then he grabbed the sides of the lid and twisted, essentially deforming the metal slightly. It's been closing and locking ever since.

Yep, the old hands on guys are mostly gone. I'll keep playing with it. I had the brackets off. I think I now have them correct.Thanks
Anduril
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

I did the same thing. Every time I loosened and tightened it seemed like the right side was down a bit further than the left. If I adjusted it either way to try to compensate as I closed I could see that the lid would scrape against the body.

Out of the blue the idea to just open it slightly and pull it to the right side and do the "reform adjustment". It has been perfect ever since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

Anduril wrote:
I did the same thing. Every time I loosened and tightened it seemed like the right side was down a bit further than the left. If I adjusted it either way to try to compensate as I closed I could see that the lid would scrape against the body.

Out of the blue the idea to just open it slightly and pull it to the right side and do the "reform adjustment". It has been perfect ever since.

Thanks Good idea.

Lou
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

I like to make more adjustment by making all the slotted holes in the brackets longer. If that doesn't help, bolt them up snugly and pull on them with a broom handle or lightly tap it with a rubber mallet, depending on whether you need more or less gap at the top of the lid. I go for the tightest and even fit at the top of the lid right before the lid rubs the vent panel. The last thing you want is getting it all fairly close, then finding the bottom of the lid hits the bumper! Once the big hook brackets are the correct shape, THEN once you make your up/down and in/out adjustments, you should be done. If it still won't fit right, then I would pull/push on the upper corners of the lid.

Obviously, before you even start, make sure the decklid hinges and spring bracket have no broken welds or tearing metal. With the decid completely removed, put the lid tightly against the body to make sure it has the proper curve in it still.

In my experience, the big hook shaped bracket is the culprit. They bend pretty easily and it only takes a tiny bend to throw everything way off. I've been working on my decklid fit and have it really close. Now that I've got it where it needs to be, I see a new problem- the vent metal under the window has been slightly pushed down at the bottom lip. Someone must have dropped something on it at one point. So, make sure all your body components that are NOT adjustable, are correct or you'll never get it perfect.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

I'm seeing that Glutamodo and Roachdub58 suggest that the brackets may be slightly bent over the years and that may be the problem. My clearance at the top of the lid is almost 1/2 inch installed now and it does not latch. I'm at the the top on the bolt slot so no more there. Question: how and where do you bend the big C brackets. I know they have to be close on both slightly and I can measure that. Do I bend up or up and back and with what do I do this? I can enlarge the oblong hoes but rather not. Photos attached. Can always buy more at the Bug Barn, but would like to use these.

Lou

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

One of the other things that leads to the decklid gaps being out of wack and you not being able to adjust them out is the apron. Over the years from people letting the lid slam onto the apron it acutually makes the apron flatten out some, causing the lid to gap at the top.
Harris if you were to take your hand on pull upward on the bottom of your apron, with your lid closed, you will more than likely see the gap close at the top.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
One of the other things that leads to the decklid gaps being out of wack and you not being able to adjust them out is the apron. Over the years from people letting the lid slam onto the apron it acutually makes the apron flatten out some, causing the lid to gap at the top.
Harris if you were to take your hand on pull upward on the bottom of your apron, with your lid closed, you will more than likely see the gap close at the top.

Thanks Stale Air--I'll try it, but this lid has never been allowed to slam shut with me for 22 years I've had it. Former and original owner was anal about treating the car gently. Lid shut perfectly and was aligned well before I took it off. Broke a bolt making a small adjustment. Twilight Zone here.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

[quote="roachdub58"]I like to make more adjustment by making all the slotted holes in the brackets longer.

If that doesn't help, bolt them up snugly and pull on them with a broom handle or lightly tap it with a rubber mallet, depending on whether you need more or less gap at the top of the lid.

Not understanding the broom handle idea. Can you explain further? Bolt what up? Sorry I'm old.

lou
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

I had similar issues with the lid on my '63. It had a large gap at the top like yours and also scraped the body at the upper corners. Adjustments alone wouldn't get it to fit right, so I had to massage things a bit.

For the edges, I set the lid on the ground resting on three pieces of 2x4 lumber...one at each top corner and one at the bottom. I then applied force by hand to the top edge, essentially flattening the curve a little bit. The lid is quite flexible and it doesn't take much of a push to have an effect.

To close up the gap at the top, I took a large rubber mallet and gave each hinge bracket a couple of good whacks. This bent them inward just a little, and in the process, moved the lid up a bit and reduced the width of the gap at the top. This also moved the latching hook up a bit allowing it to fully engage the bracket on the apron. Make sure the brackets are firmly fastened to the body before you try this.

I had to remove and re-install the lid several times to check the fit and do some extra tweaking, but it fits perfectly now and latches securely.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

Thanks,

I'm not that good with a rubber mallet. I do think I could at this point throw a stick of dynamite in it in a secluded area and watch it go up engine lid and all. But I won't. Likely will try extending the screw slots. Did a small amount on the slots and gained quite a bit. If that does work will try the rubber hammer--then maybe the dynamite or lighted jet fuel.

Thanks for the rubber hammer idea.

Lou
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

I just finished FINALLY getting the gap even, and looking like it should on my black 64 vert. I had to replace both of my supports as they were bent, twisted and “sagging” . I found a good set of used supports, used all new bolts and washers ( no washers before) and sourced the missing bracket support plates from Joe Benco Enterprises. The hinges were not bent. Even with the good replacement supports and new hardware, could not get the gap at the top right. Then read a post about putting a washer under the rear bolt of the support bracket( closest to the front of the car) . This ads more of an angle to the support bracket, forcing the decklid “up” and closing the gap at the top of the decklid. Don’t even think of asking me how long it took , but to make a very long story short, you have to adjust the supports by 1/32” at a time , going from one to the other and, it finally gets even ! Many thanks to all of the posts on this subject . Hope this helps someone!
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the info. Will try it

Lou
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedn Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I'd love to give you a specific procedure.... but I've had mixed results over the years. I've seen some threads over the years that say much the same. Part of the problem is how old these are. Sometimes it depends on the lid itself has ever had any damage. Then there's the hinges, and the hinge mounting brackets on the body, are those undamaged as well?

I switched to a convertible lid on my 62 several years ago and I never did get it to fit nor latch like the stock one (the original, which I still have) did, no matter how much I shifted the hinge mounts forward/back and the hinges up/down. Those are the only real adjustments, a mixture of those. Beyond that, strategic bending of the hinge mounts might help.

In the beetle split window 1938-1953 section under cool vintage photos there is a video on page 5 called shape of quality. The factory worker just puts the deck lid and hoods on, runs up the bolts with a air wratchet and it's perfect on trial and error, it just goes together so fast.
https://youtu.be/MiCojp22cj8
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Lou, remember... it is a VERY tedious process. Every change you make on one side affects the other , which is why I ended up making such small adjustments. My gap on the driver’s side started at 1/2”, and the passenger side a much better ( but still too wide) 3/8”. When finally done, is now 1/8” across the top and side to side. Make sure you use the blue painter’s tape across the top on both the body and decklid edges as well as all corners . After you “juggle” it back and forth for a few hours ( !) you will see what I mean . And walk away for a while like I did when frustrated to the max. And , Glutamondo .... I watched the whole video... thanks! Again , nothing like factory fresh parts!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Lou, just took another look of the pic of your brackets. They are both bent down like my originals were. You may consider getting a good “un-bent “ pair of replacements from the Bug Barn. I will see if I can figure out a way to get my pics of before, after, and during in the gallery. When I compared the difference in angle of my originals to my replacement supports it was staggering. It would have taken a whole lot of bending to get my originals even close to the replacement supports, and then I had to use the thick washer under the rear bolt to get them right.... as they too had “aged” and were ok to the eye, but still not right.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine lid adjustment 1962 Sedan Reply with quote

Lou, I uploaded some of my pics to the gallery, and sent you a pm. Bob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: