Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheilaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

We are packing our 1999 Eurovan camper for a 6-week road trip, and we seriously need help organizing.

The hanging closet just seems to be a depository for stuff so we can’t easily find things. We tried hanging clothes, but that still didn’t use the space efficiently. And the little closet above the drawer and next to the sink is another crammed closet. We're clueless when it comes to organizing. Confused

Do you have a system, an organizational theory of how to use all the storage spaces?

Oh, yes, the blinds on two windows need repair. Where to go?
guggenheim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

How many people are going? What's wrong with the blinds?
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

sheilaru wrote:
We are packing our 1999 Eurovan camper for a 6-week road trip, and we seriously need help organizing.

The hanging closet just seems to be a depository for stuff so we can’t easily find things. We tried hanging clothes, but that still didn’t use the space efficiently. And the little closet above the drawer and next to the sink is another crammed closet. We're clueless when it comes to organizing. :?

Do you have a system, an organizational theory of how to use all the storage spaces?

Oh, yes, the blinds on two windows need repair. Where to go?

Gowesty has really neat replacement horizontal pull blinds that are way simpler and work way better.

As for storage - I use clear plastic bins that will fit in the rear storage area under the bed, and will also stack underneath the van when at an actual campsite. You can see what's in 'em and they stay out of the way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sheilaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

2 Travelers.

One blind unit has fallen down behind the cook stove and the cords are tangled. The back, side blind unit just won't stay up.

I keep looking for diagrams to understand the mechanics of the cords and pulls, but haven't found such online.

Thank you for the plastic box idea--you mean for the space under the bed open from the back door?

The closets are my biggest frustration. Are there any true dimensions written somewhere on the web. Our manual doesn't show anything for the Winnebago insert.

Thanks
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

sheilaru wrote:
2 Travelers.
I keep looking for diagrams to understand the mechanics of the cords and pulls, but haven't found such online.

If you go to unitedshade.com and find the pleated shade restring kit, click on the 'installation' tab and download the pdf with instructions. I bought one of these kits at an RV store and they are available on Amazon. The strings are a bit thicker than the originals. It's not exactly a perfect replacement, but I'm hoping it will do.
sheilaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
guggenheim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

I installed some really simple shelves in my closet and just fold our clothing.

Another thing I did that makes things easier is remove the sink and stove cover. I can wash the dishes and just leave the in the sink to dry; I'm going to use the same thing over anyway.

It also helps because I don't need to remove anything thing off said cover just to open that cover to use the sink or stove.

I asked about the amount of people as we only travel with two as well and have found it less of a task if we just leave the bed open. With the bed open, this creates a storage area under the extended area of the bed. I found two plastic bins that fit really well under this extended area.

We only take one table with us and have found the table storage area great for storing our camp chairs vertically.

Have a great trip!
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

i put bedding and towels and such in the cabinet, occasionally shoes and (now) kids toys. Food goes in pantries, clothes go in bags still -- easier to move around and access at all times. you'll never fit all of your stuff in the cabinets of any westy anyway. pack lighter than you think is what I tell our renters.

as for the curtains, repairing stock ones is pointless. They are pure garbage anyway. go with the gowesty.com option:

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=96

well worth the investment and added bonus: they tuck out of the way and you end up getting several square feet of additional window space when all is said and done by eliminating the old ones that cover up at least two inches of the galley, slider and right rear windows. Really brightens up the van during the daytime.

gugg - i debated taking the cover off, but you loose so much usable counter space by doing so... good call on the table though. I hate those damn things to begin with.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

guggenheim wrote:
I installed some really simple shelves in my closet and just fold our clothing.

Another thing I did that makes things easier is remove the sink and stove cover. I can wash the dishes and just leave the in the sink to dry; I'm going to use the same thing over anyway.

It also helps because I don't need to remove anything thing off said cover just to open that cover to use the sink or stove.

We only take one table with us and have found the table storage area great for storing our camp chairs vertically.

Have a great trip!

Ditto on all of this. We also removed the doors on the closet and replaced them with a hanging fabric curtain on an elastic "curtain rod". Much easier access than fighting those two sliding doors.

With the galley cover removed, we keep a cutting board over the sink so we still have full counter space. That galley cover just covers up the window over the sink when camping....good riddance.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
sheilaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

Does anyone have any photos to share of the storage with doors open?
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

sheilaru wrote:
Does anyone have any photos to share of the storage with doors open?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a shot after door removal. The lower shelf pivots up in front for storage below
'79 Westy...Oscar

Last edited by tds3pete on Mon May 16, 2016 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
sheilaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

The link didn't work--and I'm very excited to see your photos. Maybe you can edit it? Thanks
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

sheilaru wrote:
The link didn't work--and I'm very excited to see your photos. Maybe you can edit it? Thanks

done
'79 Westy...Oscar
Daralyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

I still have my original tension blind, but the plastic mount broke. Do you know where we can get compatible mounts or if the ones at unitedshade.com will work & are compatible with the original blinds?

JMB3 wrote:
sheilaru wrote:
2 Travelers.

If you go to unitedshade.com and find the pleated shade restring kit, click on the 'installation' tab and download the pdf with instructions. I bought one of these kits at an RV store and they are available on Amazon. The strings are a bit thicker than the originals. It's not exactly a perfect replacement, but I'm hoping it will do.

HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

If you mean the tensioner screw you can get replacements here ...

https://www.eurocampers.com/Blind-Cord-Spools--set...p_276.html

If you meant the hangar that the blind itself mounts in I can't recall where I've seen replacements for sale ...
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 99 Eurovan Camper Storage & Blinds Reply with quote

Daralyn wrote:
I still have my original tension blind, but the plastic mount broke. Do you know where we can get compatible mounts or if the ones at unitedshade.com will work & are compatible with the original blinds?

JMB3 wrote:
sheilaru wrote:
2 Travelers.

Also there's this piece that may be what you're looking for ... https://www.eurocampers.com/1-Mounting-bracket-for...p_275.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: