Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

Hey, everyone. Hope spring is treating you well.

I've got my new/rebuilt transmission in and wanted to run a couple noises past you. I'll try to explain the best I can:

* When I downshift into second from either neutral or any gear, there is sort of this zipping sound. It doesn't happen with any other gears. It only happens when shifting into second when the RPMs are higher than say when I'm shifting from first into second. Is this synchro related? According to the person who rebuilt the tranny, there are 4 new synchros in it.

* Second sound is a whirring in second gear, mostly from 2400 rpm up until I shift into third. I remember my old transmission making a similar sound in second gear and so I'm not sure if this is how ALL 4 speed transmissions for Vanagons sound in second gear. I don't remember my old one being as loud although I think the sound improved when a shop topped my tranny fluid.

Here is what the rebuilder included in the transmission (with a different core than mine):

-4 synchros / 2 diff bearing seals

-1 ms bearing

-1 pinion bearing

-1 lower pinion bearing

-2 needle bearings

-3/4 slider/hub updated

-6 dog teeth retainers

Just wondering if I should be at all concerned with above noises.

Thanks!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

No one can decypher accurately what's happening without being there, experiencing the problem.

Post a sound byte here, or take the van back to the outfit who did the work.

The second selection being the best move you can make , Right Now.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

No idea what to tell you about the first sound you describe. However, second gear does normally have a whine, atleast every van ive owned had the same whine in second gear, including brand new rebuilt transmission units. Hope that helps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

I can't comment on your described noise, but I'll comment on what you've said below.

Only downshift into 2nd when your RPMs in 3rd dictate that you downshift to avoid lugging the engine. You shouldn't downshift into 2nd gear to slow the car down .. unless you have no problem with needless transaxle wear. (Brake components are less expensive.)

The synchros themselves don't make any noise.

childofthewind wrote:
.. It only happens when shifting into second when the RPMs are higher than say when I'm shifting from first into second. Is this synchro related? ...

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

gears wrote:
I can't comment on your described noise, but I'll comment on what you've said below.

Only downshift into 2nd when your RPMs in 3rd dictate that you downshift to avoid lugging the engine. You shouldn't downshift into 2nd gear to slow the car down .. unless you have no problem with needless transaxle wear. (Brake components are less expensive.)

childofthewind wrote:
.. It only happens when shifting into second when the RPMs are higher than say when I'm shifting from first into second. Is this synchro related? ...

Thanks for this. I do in fact downshift to slow the vehicle down. It's nothing dramatic -- I'm not going super fast when doing it but I'm not one to just put it into neutral and/or ride the clutch and brake until I stop. Old old habit from when my dad first taught me to drive stick all those years ago.. (so it's HIS fault! ha.)

It's just that I don't remember hearing the sound at all with my last tranny and I drove the same way.

I'm not wanting to pester the builder as I've already had to go back for other stuff (not related to these sounds) and wanted to ask the community to get a general sense, first.

Thanks!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:

Thanks for this. I do in fact downshift to slow the vehicle down. It's nothing dramatic -- I'm not going super fast when doing it but I'm not one to just put it into neutral and/or ride the clutch and brake until I stop.

Regardless of your training, its simply not worth the wear in most every case... Double the number of clutch engagements etc. Decelerating in gear or using the engine drag to reduce braking down grades is fine. But actively downshifting during braking is simply not desirable in most any case except racing conditions. Wink

I second the suggestion for an audio clip or video if possible. It's nearly impossible to accurately describe a noise over text. What you may think is transmission noise could be something else in the driveline.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

I tried hard to capture the sound via my phone's recorder. Couldn't get it. Here's an older thread that sort of describes what I'm talking about -- the sound when I'm downshifting into second:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=440625&start=0

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
...I do in fact downshift to slow the vehicle down...

In my opinion this is neither necessary nor wise. Engine braking can be effectively accomplished by allowing the vehicle to slow in whatever gear you were driving in, selecting something lower puts additional stress on the driveline w/o any real benefit.

Now if you're coming into a corner where you will want to accelerate in, say 2nd, coming out, then a downshift going in makes sense.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

AFAIK you should not have any noises in second gear. It should sound fine like the other gears...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

Is a vanagon the only manual trans vehicle on the planet you shouldn't use the benifits of engine braking by downshifting?

Never heard of such a crazy claim to fame.

I downshift my 51 Crosley coming up to a light for cripes sake.

The VW engineers really came up with a cheesy gearbox, that's for sure if you can't use it -- normally.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Tue May 10, 2016 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

Downshifting coming to a stop is unnecessary and causes unneeded wear on the clutch (as well as tranny).

In any manual car.

Let's say you're driving along in town in third gear. You see a stop light ahead. Just leave it in third, let off the gas to gradually slow down (engine braking) and then apply the brakes as you approach the stop light.

As the speed of the bus slows, the rpms of the motor will also slow. When they get to about 1000 or so, just depress the clutch, shift ino neutral, let off the clutch pedal, and continue to stop the van with the brakes.

When the light turns green, depress the clutch, select first, and off you go.

This way you take advantage of engine braking without burning up the clutch to do so.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

Brakes are cheap, especially if you use cheap pads that wear instead of rotors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

You don't need a clutch to downshift, or upshift for that matter, you only need it to come to or take off from a stop.

Semi's, no syncro's in a 9,10,13,16,18, speed gear boxes you upshift & downshift via rpms.

Only use the clutch to stop & start.

Gotta be a pretty weak drivetrain to not be able to use the mechanical advantage of usng it to slow down, or might be as simple as it's not knowing how to use it properly.

Lose RPM, an automatic trans will downshift to gain this built in advantage.

So you guys don't downshift going around a street corner for fear of smoking the clutch or transaxle?

Praise the Lord Baby Jesus, I'm really happy I've only owned automatics.

They do downshift coming to a stop or going around a corner.
No Charmin, Scott, cheesy transaxles for my driving style.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

The whirring noise you described is normal. Mine did it for a while and then went away.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
Well, thanks folks for the instructions on how to drive a stick shift. Being a woman, I probably have no idea how to do so.

Rolling Eyes

I think those folks would go on about the best way to drive a stick if you were a guy too. They are just arguing among themselves without even addressing the question you posed.

Back on topic....

If your rebuilder said to drive it then I guess go ahead and do so, maybe it will go away. I do not think that the noise is 'normal' but I assume that the rebuilder is giving some kind of warranty and it is on him if it turns out bad?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

I get that some of the posts come off as "mansplaining", but you did start a post talking about new tranny noises and soliciting information/advice Wink . I think it's fair to say that you current driving style isn't causing the new noises your hearing; that is likely a faulty synchro or other other assembly issue, but downshifting into second without rev matching (causing the synchros to have the do the speed matching, is going to work them a lot harder than the methods of driving described by others. The fact of the matter is, by modern standards, these are a pretty fragile gearbox. That's why mine is being replaced by a Suby 5mt (that, and the desire for more appropriate gearing/ratios). TK is essentially right...one shouldn't have to treat a gearbox with kid gloves, but this tranny has a long and established reputation for proving that wrong. [/i]
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

One tip. If your shift linkage is a bit out of alignment, or its rubbing in the box/gate under the floor. Noises/vibrations can be transmitted to the handle.

When you are hearing the noise, try wiggling/moving the shifter a little bit. If the noise goes away, its likely that it is vibrations/rubbing in the shift linkage. The shift linkage turns the vibration into audible noise. Question Just a thought.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Are these "normal" sounds for a rebuilt manual transmission? Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
gears wrote:

childofthewind wrote:

Thanks for this. I do in fact downshift to slow the vehicle down. It's nothing dramatic -- I'm not going super fast when doing it but I'm not one to just put it into neutral and/or ride the clutch and brake until I stop. Old old habit from when my dad first taught me to drive stick all those years ago.. (so it's HIS fault! ha.)

It's just that I don't remember hearing the sound at all with my last tranny and I drove the same way.

I'm not wanting to pester the builder as I've already had to go back for other stuff (not related to these sounds) and wanted to ask the community to get a general sense, first.

Thanks!

You rock for simply driving a stick, let alone knowing how to do it well. All six of my daughters knew they had to learn stick in winter before they got the keys...which was simple as Mom had the only slush box and it went to work..

Two of them are even brave enough to tackle the crashbox.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: