Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doka Syncro shocks & springs?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildbean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Doka Syncro shocks & springs? Reply with quote

I have an 86 Doka Syncro that I purchased recently. It needs new shocks.

I was planning on buying a set of Old Man Emu shocks/struts and the GoWesty lift springs.
Then I read on the GoWesty site
"NOT RECOMMENDED for hard-top, single cab, or double cab Vanagons. These vehicles are too light - especially coupled with GoWesty lifting springs."

What are most of you Doka Syncro owners running?

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Syncro shocks & springs? Reply with quote

GoWesty is right. I keep the stock shocks and springs on both my doka syncro and sinka syncro. I put OME shocks and SmallCar heavy springs on my hardtop syncro and it's a bit stiff - bounds over small bumps sometimes. I put OME shocks and VanCafe heavy springs on my westy weekender syncro and it's perfect.

I think the stock shocks were, what, Boges? And just keep the original syncro springs unless you plan to become a frequent airborne gnarly off-roader.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think that stock shocks are a bit soft even for a Doka. I'd go either Syncro 16 shocks (from VW) or OME and stock springs.

If you want to jack it up a bit, spacers and small mods to stop things running out of travel.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildbean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

What do you think about running Syncro 16 shocks with the GoWesty lifting springs. VanCafe no longer makes their springs and are selling the GoWesty ones?

The previous owner of my Doka put 15's on it. The tires occasionally rub the top of the fender wells when I hit a bump going straight and almost always when I make a right turn on to a rougher road or driveway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildbean wrote:
Thanks for your replies.

What do you think about running Syncro 16 shocks with the GoWesty lifting springs. VanCafe no longer makes their springs and are selling the GoWesty ones?

The previous owner of my Doka put 15's on it. The tires occasionally rub the top of the fender wells when I hit a bump going straight and almost always when I make a right turn on to a rougher road or driveway.
You could do the Burly setup the shock valving and spring rate are tailored to your syncro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go away from stock springs on a light syncro. I think upping the dampers and spacers would probably do well.

If you put harder springs on, you just stop the suspension from being able to work and it'll be sitting up against the shocks all the time. With stock springs, you can raise it a bit but still allow the suspension to work fully and give you the suppleness it needs to be good offroad.

There are plenty of topics on how to raise the suspension without topping out re cv joints, longer rear shocks or moving the mounting point and front shock mods to allow more movement.

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
I wouldn't go away from stock springs on a light syncro. I think upping the dampers and spacers would probably do well.

If you put harder springs on, you just stop the suspension from being able to work and it'll be sitting up against the shocks all the time. With stock springs, you can raise it a bit but still allow the suspension to work fully and give you the suppleness it needs to be good offroad.

There are plenty of topics on how to raise the suspension without topping out re cv joints, longer rear shocks or moving the mounting point and front shock mods to allow more movement.

MG
I would say the stock springs are used and old and worn out unless the buy new ones so you might as well look at the newer setups.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed if the springs are soggy and worn out replace them.

I guess it depends on what you want from the van. If you want to offroad it a lot, then I'd steer clear of stiffer springs as it will limit articulation, if you are driving it on the road mostly, then stiffer springs will make it handle better.

MG
wildbean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in WV so most roads are secondary.

Even hardtop roads have plenty of potholes.

My Driving plans
60% Hardtop roads
35% Dirt/Gravel roads
5% Offroad use
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:

I guess it depends on what you want from the van. If you want to offroad it a lot, then I'd steer clear of stiffer springs as it will limit articulation, if you are driving it on the road mostly, then stiffer springs will make it handle better.

MG
I do not think you get what I am saying here I shock& springs I am talking about can be softer than stock are as stiff as you want its up to you and if you are not happy for 100$ you can change the spring rates.
But forget about the springs it is the damping in these shocks that make the difference if you want more control on and off road they can not be beat by any thing sold for a vanagon that bolts on.

You can forget about buying the the shocks any where else they are custom valved for each van and by the time you fab up brackets and spacers you will understand what a fair price they are.

5100 Series
The 5100 Series offers traditional Bilstein technology with applications for lifted trucks, Jeeps and prerunners. Our 5100 Series shock absorbers are designed for specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock O.E.M. mounting configuration. 5100 Series shocks feature Bilstein's superior single tube high gas pressure design for the upmost in consistent fade-free performance and long life. Bilstein's patented Digressive self-adjusting valving delivers improved damping control and a smooth ride on all road surfaces at any speed.

Self-Adjusting Deflecting Disc Valving
High-Flow Piston Reduces Harshness
Independent Rebound & Compression Tuning
Larger Working Piston Area for Exact Damping
Superior Control for Large Diameter Tires
BTS Kit - NEW Bilstein 5100 Coilover for
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

MG
I do not think you get what I am saying here I shock& springs I am talking about can be softer than stock are as stiff as you want its up to you and if you are not happy for 100$ you can change the spring rates.
But forget about the springs it is the damping in these shocks that make the difference if you want more control on and off road they can not be beat by any thing sold for a vanagon that bolts on.

You can forget about buying the the shocks any where else they are custom valved for each van and by the time you fab up brackets and spacers you will understand what a fair price they are.

5100 Series
The 5100 Series offers traditional Bilstein technology with applications for lifted trucks, Jeeps and prerunners. Our 5100 Series shock absorbers are designed for specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock O.E.M. mounting configuration. 5100 Series shocks feature Bilstein's superior single tube high gas pressure design for the upmost in consistent fade-free performance and long life. Bilstein's patented Digressive self-adjusting valving delivers improved damping control and a smooth ride on all road surfaces at any speed.

Self-Adjusting Deflecting Disc Valving
High-Flow Piston Reduces Harshness
Independent Rebound & Compression Tuning
Larger Working Piston Area for Exact Damping
Superior Control for Large Diameter Tires
BTS Kit - NEW Bilstein 5100 Coilover for

True you're always going to get a better setup going for aftermarket coilovers... at more expense. I'd love to put coilovers on Limey but can't afford it at the moment.

MG
wildbean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could do the Burly setup the shock valving and spring rate are tailored to your syncro.

What is the Burly setup and where do you get it and find more info.

thanks again
wildbean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it http://burleysmotorsports.com

Looks like a great setup but a little out of my price range at this time.
wildbean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone point me to a site with the John Wessel setup for sale?

I keep searching with no luck.

thanks
offroad.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avo are now producing and selling via the brickwerks uk front and rear adjustable damping with the fronts adjustable for ride height also. i run these on a heavy 16" westy and rate them highly.

lee.

link for john.

John and Glori
Glori's Import Service
2690 Florin Road, Suite 108
Sacramento, CA 95822
916-395-4175
www.glorisimportserviceautorepair.com
offroad.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry link does not work.

its been a while since i mailed him.

try "[email protected]"
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offroad. wrote:
avo are now producing and selling via the brickwerks uk front and rear adjustable damping with the fronts adjustable for ride height also. i run these on a heavy 16" westy and rate them highly.

lee.

link for john.

John and Glori
Glori's Import Service
2690 Florin Road, Suite 108
Sacramento, CA 95822
916-395-4175
www.glorisimportserviceautorepair.com

I'd hold off on buying Avo's from Brickwerks until they've been properly tested and abused by other syncro owners. Simon's only just had the parts made up so that they'll bolt on and you'll be acting as a guinea pig for the first setups. Avo's have a habbit of leaking and as Avo constantly change their suppliers, you're not always sure of where the parts are coming from.

In UK, sending parts back isn't a big problem and I'm sure that if you inside 12 months Simon wouldn't have a problem replacing them but it's a bit different from abroad.

Not saying that Avo's are rubbish... just that they've had issues and having worked along side Simon and seen the quality of these, I'd spend my money elsewhere. Just my opinion.

MG
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Doka Syncro shocks & springs? Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread. Getting a 16 and it has worn out shocks but not sure about springs. What are folks using these days? Can you still get OEM shocks for a 16 from VW? I've used 5100s on a Tundra and they were pretty stiff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: