Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

After all the hard work I put into this bus it is always the fucking pop top that ruins my day. I have been putting this portion of the pop top install off for several months for this very reason. Like I has predicted at least one corner will rip, the canvas will be too tight and pop screws out of the roof and it will not line up. Well the ALL came true. At one point this afternoon I had half of the screws in but the front portion over the driver seat (early 1970) would not line up with the holes. Not enough canvas to go around, and in the process of trying to line it up one of the corners started to rip. So for the sake of trying to do things the right way I took almost all the screws back out except the drivers side. I began to try to line it up again and still the front portion does not have enough canvas to stretch across the top corner to corner. Somebody give me some advice before I start taking wood screws and firing them into the roof of my bus, or better yet take a hack saw and cut the mother fucker in half.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by khalimadeath on Tue May 10, 2016 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

You have to mark the canvas at the 1/2 way point (small mark with a sharpie pen) front and rear, then find the 1/2 way point on the bus F&R and work from the center out equally a foot at a time front then back till you meet in the middle lengthwise and you are done. Prop the top 3/4 of the way up with a 4X4 cut to length. Worked great on my 71, you never say your year.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

Well ive just removed all the screws and plan to start over. Waste of 3 hours. Ive read to start from the middle and worn out to the corners and over read to start in the corners and work to the middle. Which is correct??
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

Think about it, if you work from the center to the corners the canvas will be tight to the roof if you work from corners to the center you cant keep the canvas tight against the roof as there is no where for it to go but be bunched up.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

Is that a new canvas from one of the reputable suppliers? If so, that stitching looks really sloppy in my opinion..I'm wondering if you may have got a dud?
I haven't seen that thick black rubber edging at the bottom either, it's usually white with the rounded bead..I see that your top arms are not fully extended,
So I'm assuming you're propping the top up with some other method, It should be more than enough slack to start fastening down..The front can be more of a pain in the ass,
Lining the centers and corners up is very important, But if it's super tight now before you have raised the top fully, I'm guessing it's too short, or you may have the canvas tacked on the top too high on the wood backer
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

I did my centers first, and worked to the corners, this ensures it wont be crooked, however, I only put in a few screws in the key areas, leaving room for slight adjustments..
PS, please tell me you're not using those shitty phillips screws
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

fes wrote:
Is that a new canvas from one of the reputable suppliers? If so, that stitching looks really sloppy in my opinion..I'm wondering if you may have got a dud?
I haven't seen that thick black rubber edging at the bottom either, it's usually white with the rounded bead..I see that your top arms are not fully extended,
So I'm assuming you're propping the top up with some other method, It should be more than enough slack to start fastening down..The front can be more of a pain in the ass,
Lining the centers and corners up is very important, But if it's super tight now before you have raised the top fully, I'm guessing it's too short, or you may have the canvas tacked on the top too high on the wood backer

It was one of the hand made ones that were being sold in the classifieds. I paid a pretty penny for it because it was supposed to be a good quality based on what I had read. At on point today I had the large end completely secured down and opened it. It took quite a bit of muscle but it did stretch a bit and open all the way. I also do think I may have secured to much of the canvas to the fiber glass. Im not really sure what I want to do at this point because im not taking the top off again, nor do I want to replace this canvas.

Yes im using the shitty phillips screws. I was unaware of an alternative.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

The canvas I am using.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1611644
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

You want to head to the hardware store and pick up #4 gauge ( yellow handled driver)robertson screws, 7/16" long, stainless.. I have a box in my garage right now so I can check for you later..
did the corners rip and you repaired them or is that how the stitching was when you got it?
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

I havent done anything to it.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:

Well I'm not going to piss on The Amish, but that stitching looks pretty bad..but anything handmade is not going to be perfect..maybe excellent, but not perfect..
I wish I could be more positive here, but without another one to compare measurements to, You might be SOL..
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

fes wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

Well I'm not going to piss on The Amish, but that stitching looks pretty bad..but anything handmade is not going to be perfect..maybe excellent, but not perfect..
I wish I could be more positive here, but without another one to compare measurements to, You might be SOL..

Yea, I might jerry rig it the best I can. I DO NOT want to replace the canvas again. in fact I damn near refuse. Ill weld a piece of metal to cover the hole in the roof before I take that son of a bitch off again..
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone else but I never removed the top and it went right on. It's still doing good after 10+ years. A little faded and dis colored and only one little patch from where I pinched it between the hinge.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

First time I did the canvas in my '78 I put too much canvas under the strips on the roof and it was way too tight at the bottom. Pissed me off but the only way to fix it right is to pull it back off and do it over. Or weld over the fucking hole, whatever floats your boat. Bitching about it isn't gonna make it go away.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

last one I did was a go westy one....fit like shit. the height was way off. ended up doing it "backwards" so the fold at the top was on the inside so it didn't look like hell on the outside...it was so long it hung down 2" from the tack strip....

then , the back was too wide so I had to fold it over itself....hard to explain, but just wasn't right

that said, start from the center and work out. use a sharp pick to poke thru the beading....then screw thru the pre poked hole. you will have to pie cut the corners to make them work...just like the factory did on the beading

it was a miserable job, start to finish. honestly, I would rather do another headliner than a pop top canvas

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
First time I did the canvas in my '78 I put too much canvas under the strips on the roof and it was way too tight at the bottom. Pissed me off but the only way to fix it right is to pull it back off and do it over. Or weld over the fucking hole, whatever floats your boat. Bitching about it isn't gonna make it go away.

Yea but it makes me feel better Laughing So does beer Pray . Anyway Im more hoping to get advice more than anything. I have moved on from that portion of my project to other things. Ill likely put it off for a while more. My blood pressure can only take so much.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

I did mine with the top on. The canvas was original vintage Westfalia recovered by VDubTech. I left the top on with some slack, worked from the corners towards the centers. Took me parts of two easy days.No beer needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
I did mine with the top on. The canvas was original vintage Westfalia recovered by VDubTech. I left the top on with some slack, worked from the corners towards the centers. Took me parts of two easy days.No beer needed.

When I get back from vacation in a few weeks I am going to take a deep breath put some good music on and try it again.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

If you said you did manage to fully raise the top without tearing or pulling out, then that is encouraging..once it's up, spray liberal amounts of water on the taught areas and repeat, leave it up for a day..this will help slightly stretch the canvas and train it for this position
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top problems.... AGAIN. (canvas to roof) Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
VDubTech wrote:

Yea but it makes me feel better Laughing So does beer Pray . Anyway Im more hoping to get advice more than anything. I have moved on from that portion of my project to other things. Ill likely put it off for a while more. My blood pressure can only take so much.

No problem dude I hear ya. At that point walking away is the best thing you can do. Go on to something else for the time being and then go back into it with a clear head. Getting pissed only leads to more destruction, ask me how I know
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: