Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine efficiency, Comparing I4's, WB's and Subies
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Engine efficiency, Comparing I4's, WB's and Subies Reply with quote

Remember this link?
http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/engine-rpm-swap.html

I found a formula that gives results as he has listed so I plugged in the 2.0 Zetec and the 2.2 Ecotec. The result is 159.5 for the Zetec and 168.6 for the Ecotec.

BMEP=(Torque x 12 x 33000 / 5252) / (Displacement x PPR)
Displacement is for CI so you need to convert CC's and for a Four stroke engine PPR equals 1/2 or .5 as it fits the formula. Peak torque rpm is not important for the formula.

Might seem generic but at least you can slip the efficiency of a proposed engine into his existing tremendous amount of work to see where it'd fit.
Just sayin'
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine efficiency, Comparing I4's, WB's and Subies Reply with quote

engine performance will depend on fuel and air mix and flow regimes, not to mention the exhaust

so, that siimple formula doesn't really do what you think
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine efficiency, Comparing I4's, WB's and Subies Reply with quote

So then when you know your engines performance , plug in the numbers.
You're thinkin' too hard again.
I'm just the messenger.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine efficiency, Comparing I4's, WB's and Subies Reply with quote

Frank Grunthaler is one of those kinda-smart guys.
So when he says that the 1.8t is right up close to the top of his list, that's good enough for me.
No wonder I like my Flint-reversed 1.8t 5 speeder so much. Cool

I'm just about to be coming up on my 1 year mark with Andrew's engine/5 speed transmission combo.

It's my Daily Driver, no problems, loving this thing and I haven't even added the ECM upgrade chip yet although it is sitting in my hands right now. Just need to wander out there and plug it in.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: