Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When has your child impressed you?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

So my son is a junior in college. Great kid. Makes Deans List. Plays basketball for the college. Is not naturally "gifted" in anything but has incredible work ethic, drive, and common sense.

He has been struggling to find a summer internship and he thought he had an excellent inside track on one. He really worked hard on the application, rallied teacher references, and reached out to several of the professors involved in the selection process. Unfortunately he found out last night that he did not get it.

You know that feeling as a parent that you want only the best for your kids and when it doesn't happen? I was so fired up when I found out. My gut screams to go running down to the professor who decided not to select him and let him have a piece of my mind.

Instead my son sends me this:

"It's about the bow and arrow Dad. Life is dragging and pulling you back away from the target and just when you are as far back as you can go the arrow shoots forward and hits the target. You just need to withstand being pulled back"

Damn! I am proud of that kid. Every day he teaches me how to be a better person.
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

Keep applying to multiple positions just as you would apply to multiple colleges. My daughter applied to several and only got one offer. That one got her into an MIT/Harvard program the next year. Which in turn got her into the medical school that was first choice.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:

You know that feeling as a parent that you want only the best for your kids and when it doesn't happen? I was so fired up when I found out. My gut screams to go running down to the professor who decided not to select him and let him have a piece of my mind.

glad you didn't. if your kid was part of the "everyone gets a trophy" world we live in, going to the school would have just added to that problem.

you raised your son right. failure sucks, but it's a part of life everyone needs to know. that said, you should be proud of the way he was raised, and kudos to you.

we are trying to teach my 5 year old that "everyone wins" isn't the way it works. sadly we have to un-do a lot of bullshit taught in schools these days

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

Quote:
glad you didn't. if your kid was part of the "everyone gets a trophy" world we live in, going to the school would have just added to that problem.

Yeah...I never would have done that. It was just my initial visceral reaction. The urge to have the best for your kids is very strong. And I think most times letting them struggle is the best for them in the long term.

And thanks for the kind words. My wife and I are blessed. I find myself thinking of how much I really owe him...versus the more classic thoughts of what your kid owes you.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

Quote:
Keep applying to multiple positions just as you would apply to multiple colleges

Oh he has and he will continue to do so. He goes to a great school but their business program is relatively new so there are not a lot of alumns in the business world and they don't have a lot of college sponsored programs yet.

Its all good. Sometimes doors are closed so others can open.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
jspbtown wrote:

you raised your son right. failure sucks, but it's a part of life everyone needs to know. that said, you should be proud of the way he was raised, and kudos to you.

we are trying to teach my 5 year old that "everyone wins" isn't the way it works. sadly we have to un-do a lot of bullshit taught in schools these days

Applause Applause
Skills, just wait until you get to experience common core. It also took me a year & a half to retrain my son not to "aks a querstion" & "arcerns" (acorns),
along with quite a few other horribly pronounced words & phrases.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

& jspbtown, good for your son, you're lucky that he is that insightful. Both of my kids keep me proud & they both have been staying on the honor roll.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

Sounds like your son is wise beyond his years--as opposed to a wiseguy. Wink Seriously, sounds to me like he is doing and will continue to do just fine, unlike a lot of other entitled jackasses running around in society.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Skills, just wait until you get to experience common core. It also took me a year & a half to retrain my son not to "aks a querstion" & "arcerns" (acorns),
along with quite a few other horribly pronounced words & phrases.

yea....

told my wife the kid isn't going to be a problem...society will be. common core is such bullshit....it guarantees your kid can only be as smart as the dumbest one in her class, so that alone will keep me on my toes.

lucky for my daughter I am a bitter asshole and my wife is the product of a yankee farmer. she's doomed Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

No kidding. My 4 year old isn't even allowed to play "Duck Duck Goose" because it isn't fair...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

my first kid is a dr. my last kid plays for the UGA football team on a athletic scholarship....I have 2 daughters. she too is on the deans list& honners collage. and just got a fellow ship kinda with the $#@#& dept ( top secret), shes fixen to go to montarey (at some big deal place)for a intern ship this summer and fly back&forth to washington for training&clearance all paid.. she never stops amazing us..... I dont know where she gets it... tha mail man is black and shes blond&bright Shocked
kids can be what you help them to be. if you dont care neither will they.

dont study what everybody is doing(biomedicial,psycoligy an or some other shit of the day). be an indivuidual....no thats one I cant speel right. keep applying, keep studying, learn as many languages as possiable, right papers, do the research real research. it can be done!!! not by me but it can be done. look at thew real world and see what it needs, not what it has or what will seem to be the fast$$$ track. my kid was lifeguard in the summer at the beach to pay for what the scholarships didnt pay for. she did it all her self. she played sports in school&after, band, everything.gotta be out going and going out for it all with no loose concept in mind. almost everything can be beter so....try harder, try a little diferent way. she has thanked me many times for pointing out what she needs to do to be at the next step/level/beter. constructive critizem & teaching, not pissing&moaning or putting them down. everybody needs addvice,help,instruction ...even me. she has had many up and many downs the downs make the ups come eazyer by working harder&beter, smarter.buy you need to know to do it.if somebody always tells you good job you did great and all you dis was get dog poop squished between your toes you wont ever learn to step over the dog poop and pick up the $20 dollar bill laying there. kids are the best part of life if you train them right.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

My youngest (25) got her mechanical engineering degree at university in this state, had two scholarships. She joined a fastpitch adult baseball league (the only gal), and team's manager worked at city's largest employer, a well-ranked engineering firm, and pushed her to apply for well-paid summer internship there. She got that, interned a second year, then got hired full time after graduation, was offered the job with 1 semester left. Engineering company knew mechanical engineering is 95% male, and jumped at the chance to get a gal who was very experienced working on a team. and was comfortable in a mostly-guy environment.

Local newspaper had big story in sports section on her, including color photos, as the only gal in that baseball league. She's middle of the skill level for that league, plays 3rd base, they use wood bats, and there are zero concessions for being a gal, same rules as for the guys.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
my last kid plays for the UGA football team on a athletic scholarship.....

Now had your kid gone to Alabama on a scholarship... Razz
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

Wow Cusser! That's freakin awesome! Success through hard work and great confidence.

I love it!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

alabama was never even a consideration...at all.she checked out many but never even went to thier campus.no reason to do so.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Wow Cusser! That's freakin awesome! Success through hard work and great confidence.

I love it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

My son was born on my birthday (9-11) and we've always had a great relationship. He earned his Bachelor's and then his masters in Mechanical Engineering. We are lucky he is working here in town. It's wonderful having him here. At the end of last September he was invited to Hamburg Germany to present his thesis at the International Conference on Intelligent Robotic Systems. Around half the papers were accepted and his was one. BTW he's also a Cat 1 Pro Road Cyclist and races for Clif Bar. We built him a 67 bug when he turned 15 and he had a love / hate relationship with that. I bought the bug from him so we can keep it in the family. I just got to get around to putting that 88x94 together.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

Sometimes you don't realize just how much you have instilled in your kids over the years, and then something happens and you see that all those years have paid off. It can be very gratifying.

And then sometimes you realize that the job of being a parent never ends.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

"And then sometimes you realize that the job of being a parent never ends."

December 31, 2014 my son bought a house In four months we re-wired, plumbed, put in new windows, cabinets, insulation, hardwood floors, tile and added a bathroom, etc. He continues with landscaping. He's luck I have a lot of tools.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: When has your child impressed you? Reply with quote

Bones 53 wrote:
"And then sometimes you realize that the job of being a parent never ends."

December 31, 2014 my son bought a house In four months we re-wired, plumbed, put in new windows, cabinets, insulation, hardwood floors, tile and added a bathroom, etc. He continues with landscaping. He's luck I have a lot of tools.

Bonding !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: