Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charging issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Charging issues Reply with quote

Hello,

My car wouldn't start recently because of a dead battery. The car was turning over slower recently when starting so it seems that the battery has been slowly losing charge for a while. I charged it up and the car started right up. The battery checked out with 12.9 volts with the car off, 12.3 after trying to start it for twenty seconds with the coil wire off and 13.9 when running. The water was low in three cells so I added water. I then took the car for a twenty minute drive. After the drive the readings were 12.9 when running and 12.5 when not running.

My question. Is the 12.9 reading after the drive typical or is it and indication that the alternator is on the way out? The alternator (Bosch) is nine years old but only has 18,000 miles on it. Would an alternator belt that slips after the car warms up cause this? Is the 12.9 volt reading really a problem?

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
TheStanfordWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

Check your fan belt tension. If the belt tension is good, then I would take the alternator off of the housing and have it checked by someone. Anything is possible, even with an alternator that is fairly new.
Solex 30 PICT-3
Fahrgest.-Nr. 118096544
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

davidw99 wrote:
My car wouldn't start recently because of a dead battery. The car was turning over slower recently when starting so it seems that the battery has been slowly losing charge for a while. ..... The water was low in three cells so I added water. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Dead battery, low on electrolyte....how low was the electrolyte level?

My guess is that a new battery is in your near future !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

The battery was new last fall but there is no telling how long it was sitting on the shelf at the FLAPS. I'm sure bug batteries don't sell real fast in New England. The electrolyte level was just touching the top of the plates on two cells and below the plates on the third. The other three cells looked OK.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

davidw99 wrote:
The battery was new last fall but there is no telling how long it was sitting on the shelf at the FLAPS. I'm sure bug batteries don't sell real fast in New England. The electrolyte level was just touching the top of the plates on two cells and below the plates on the third. The other three cells looked OK.

Hmmm - I'd guess water wouldn't evaporate from the electrolyte so quickly in New England either .... maybe related to underpressure in New England footballs...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

Yeah, 12.9 Volts is not enough to charge your battery. 13.9 or 14 or even 14.2 would be good. So it sounds like it's not charging when it's hot. It could be the belt but it would have to be really loose. What is the charging voltage with the headlights on when it's cold? If that's good then the alternator is putting out good current when cold. Lots of things it could be though. Battery, Battery connections, Ground connections, Other B+ connections and for sure a cooked fan belt.
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

I changed the belt. It was very smooth but it probably wasn't the issue. Voltage not running: 12.54; running with headlights on: 13.11; running with headlights off: 13.68. I think I'm just going to monitor the issue for now. If the cranking gets slow again I'll run the tests again.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging issues Reply with quote

Yeah if your measuring just 13 volts at the alternator with the head lights on but almost 14 with them off it means the alternator is not putting out much current for some reason. But if those voltage readings are at the battery then it's likely a bad cable connection somewhere probably where it was routed around the old voltage regulator under the back seat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: