Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Went to do a job and ended up buying this car. The car was parked with a car cover on it and when I asked about it the home owner said they were probably going to junk it. The previous owner purchased the car twelve years ago and it's been sitting for four years. He was nice enough to include lots of new parts he had collected over the years, even a really neat rear spoiler. Also included receipts all the way back to the original purchase order from 1973. It even has factory a/c and the EFI is still there. With twelve other cars, the last thing I needed was another one, but the price was just too good to pass up.

I don't know anything about 914s, so I may need a little help here and there to get her back in working order.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

very nice find
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

A 914 is just VW running gear so that part is easy but body stuff gets pricey whenever the name Porsche is anywhere in the ad. Make sure the pans are not rusted out because that's where it gets really expensive.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

914 T4 engine engine parts are quite pricey compared to T1 VW parts! Price main bearing or replacement heads - 4-5 times the cost of T1. Although the basic engine was used in T2, 411/412 and 914 - there just weren't that many produced compared to the T1 engines. All 2L 914 came with appearance group - which includes a black vinyl sail covering which is missing on that one. That and the hell hole below battery and the longitudinals (where jack mounts are) are areas prone to rust. I like the wheels - which weren't original to the OEM 2L Fuchs. The center console is modified too and its not the OEM steering wheel. It does look like a great driver - you won't find a better handling car.
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Thanks for the input folks. I really appreciate the insight you offered Wolfgangdieter. I don't know much about these cars and like finding out what's what. It looks like the car was mildly customized sometime in the late 90s. The floors are surprisingly solid aside from a small hole behind the rear seat where the floor meets the firewall. There is also some rust underneath the battery, but I haven't looked too closely at it. I pulled the fuel tank and discovered that the fuel lines were falling apart and the tank has a lot of sludge and pinholes where it rests on a felt pad. I found a replacement tank and will be installing it sometime this week. I know that replacing the plastic fuel lines with stainless ones is a wise move, but right now I just want to get the car running in order to make a better assessment of what direction to go in. I got the car for $500 and the seller included over $1,000 worth of new parts that he had collected over the years. So I figure I have some financial wiggle room when I do start working on it. Looking over parts prices on a few parts vendor websites was definitely scary. I'll post progress and photos as I go. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

If you don't already know the '73 2 liter is one of the most desirable 914's other that the 914-6. If you keep it for the long haul and make progress on getting it back to original, you probably won't be upside down in the project. Good luck. And keep us updated.

Dave
1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

+1 for what dcheek said. The damage to the firewall and around the battery is typical of the 914 and will need to be addressed you will also want to really inspect the rockers and the front suspension mounts. Keep the 2 liter motor, it may have VW bones but it had addition work done by Porsche and is different than a VW 2 liter found in buses. Even if you decide to modify it you can build it up to 3 liters Twisted Evil
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Nice find.

I used to have a 74 and regret selling that car sooooo much

My 1968 Campmobile
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

About a week ago I changed out the gas tank and the fuel pump and installed rebuilt injectors. I put in a battery, turned the key and the engine roared to life! Although the car doesn't have brakes yet, I was able to take it for a short ride and it really pulled. I spend most of my play time in the company of 36hp engines, so I was really surprised by the sound and power of this 2 liter. The following day I bled the brakes in the hopes of being able to drive a bit further and faster. Unfortunately, bleeding the brakes didn't help very much. Nevertheless, I started the car and was just about to take another short ride when suddenly there was a very strong smell of gasoline. I jumped out of the car and saw fuel spraying out all over the place. Turns out that the rubber hose that goes to the cold start valve had ruptured. Fortunately I was able to shut the car off before it went up in flames. It was one very scary moment to say the least. I have since replaced every single fuel line. My next step will be to repair the brake system.
vitaminc914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

I own a 74 2.0 that I have had for 28 yrs. Love it. The 73 & 74 are most desirable and you have AC which is a bonus!
Mine has been extremely reliable. It is all stock, so I encourage you to resist the temptations of making it go faster. If the body is solid, you can bring it back to stock without spending a lot of money.

There are many sources out there for 914. The biggest if Auto Atlanta, but it would behoove you to get in touch with Brad Mayeur of 914 Limited in East Peoria, IL. He is a guru when it comes to these cars and has a huge supply of used and new parts at very reasonable prices. Just Google 914 limited in Peoria and you'll find him.

Good luck and keep us posted. You got yourself a great find.

1974 Porsche 914/2.0 (Owned since 1988)
1966 Bug Sedan
1978 Westy
1976 Westy (sold)
1975 Bug Convertible (sold)
1979 Bug Convertible (Epilogue) (sold)
1977 Bug Convertible (sold)
1973 Thing x2 (sold)
1974 Thing (Avocado Green) (sold)
1972 Porsche 914 V8 (sold)
1973 Porsche 914/1.7 (project) (sold)
1988 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (sold)
1985 Porsche 944 (sold)
1980 Porsche 928 (sold)
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Nice find. I am looking at a 73 2.0L now, and I too am new to Porsches. I have loved them all my life, never owned one though. The one I am looking at is injected and that's what scares me, I have never owned an old FI car and really not sure how reliable they are. Good luck with your project.
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

They are very reliable especially with the Djet. The MPS's can now be rebuilt by anyone and other hard to find parts are slowly being made.
Join 914World.com

27 years I have owned mine and it's got a 120hp engine with Djet.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

First thing I would do is buy a GOOD fire extinguisher and keep it handy. If you just want a driver don't get carried away with rust repair, just make sure all the important parts are solid, the cabin is water tight and the battery doesn't fall through the floor. Nice find.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
First thing I would do is buy a GOOD fire extinguisher and keep it handy. If you just want a driver don't get carried away with rust repair, just make sure all the important parts are solid, the cabin is water tight and the battery doesn't fall through the floor. Nice find.

Why would you need a fire extinguisher on this car any more than any other fuel injected vehicle?

They are not prone to fire at all. Just change ALL of your fuel lines...including the short injector supply pipes.

Also...if you have some kind of worry...replace the vast majority with metal and everything in between with modern nylon line. Ray
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Why would you need a fire extinguisher on this car any more than any other fuel injected vehicle?

They are not prone to fire at all. Just change ALL of your fuel lines...including the short injector supply pipes.

Also...if you have some kind of worry...replace the vast majority with metal and everything in between with modern nylon line. Ray

Well Ray shit happens and losing you investment to a fire you could have stopped is not being prepared. $35 to $5000 are good table odds. FI fires cause massive damage fast.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Well Ray shit happens and losing you investment to a fire you could have stopped is not being prepared. $35 to $5000 are good table odds. FI fires cause massive damage fast.

It may have been the way I stated it...but I was NOT saying a fire extinguisher is not a great thing to have. I carry one.....but from the way you stated it...it appeared to me that you were inferring that these cars were prone to fire ....which is actually something that many lazy D-jet injected car owners have inferred over the years because they were too lazy to change the fuel lines at even teh book specified intervals of the era...and in some cases...were too cheap to use good fuel line.

Ray
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

I had never worked on a fuel injected car until I bought this 914. As an early VW enthusiast, it was a bit unnerving to see so many fuel hoses going in so many directions. It was also disturbing to learn that the main lines to and from the fuel tank were plastic, and 43 year old plastic at that. As a complete newbie to all things 914, the one thing I can say for certain is that replacing ALL the fuel lines is a very good idea. Correct hose clamps are also something one shouldn't scrimp on.

I have been learning a lot on 914world.com. It's a great site with really nice and knowledge people. There is almost a family atmosphere on there and I have received plenty of insight and assistance.

After my very scary experience mentioned earlier, I bought a very large fire extinguisher.

I haven't had any time to fix the brakes yet. However I was able to drive it around just enough to fall in love. To me it feels like driving a large go cart. Very, very fun indeed.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Replace the rubber brake hoses too as they tend to have the inside swell shut causing the brakes to drag (brake fluid goes in but cant return).
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

Rathguten wrote:
I had never worked on a fuel injected car until I bought this 914. As an early VW enthusiast, it was a bit unnerving to see so many fuel hoses going in so many directions. It was also disturbing to learn that the main lines to and from the fuel tank were plastic, and 43 year old plastic at that. As a complete newbie to all things 914, the one thing I can say for certain is that replacing ALL the fuel lines is a very good idea. Correct hose clamps are also something one shouldn't scrimp on.

I have been learning a lot on 914world.com. It's a great site with really nice and knowledge people. There is almost a family atmosphere on there and I have received plenty of insight and assistance.

After my very scary experience mentioned earlier, I bought a very large fire extinguisher.

I haven't had any time to fix the brakes yet. However I was able to drive it around just enough to fall in love. To me it feels like driving a large go cart. Very, very fun indeed.

You do......realize.....that the 914 and all type 4 have no more or less fuel lines than ANY fuel injected four cylinder car ever made right? Wink ....actually they have ONE more fuel line than most vehicles that came after them (from the return nipple on the pump).

They have a supply line, a ring main loop, a seperate spur line for the cold start valve, a return line and a cross over loop from the return for volume feed from the pump return.

Even that has changed since my modern Golf and Jetta now have a secondary return line from the fuel filter...so now my Golf has the same number of fuel lnes as my 412. Laughing

One could count the four short stubs to the injectors.....but modern bayonet injectors have the same seal risk points....just using o-rings instead of clamps.

On the plastic fuel lines thing?.....they were far, far far ahead of their time (Porsche). I do agree that being 40 years old they have to go.....but outside of that. They did make them of at least Nylon 6 and later Nylon 6-12 alloy ......nearly 100% of all modern fuel injected have been using ALL Nylon lines for over a decade except for transition flex points.

And....for good reason. The nylon alloy fuel lines hold more pressure than ANY rubber lines, are inert to all fuels including diesel, alcohol and jet fuel, have higher abrasion resistance, are not affected by ozone, are not affected by ambient temps....short of melting temps.......and are the next best thing to steel except in high heat areas over 175°F

And contrary to the popular belief by many.....nylon fuel lines are NOT being used by OEM's because they are cheaper. They are actually almost twice the cost once you add in connector systems.

My point....is that having worked on THOUSANDS of D-jet systems.....411, 412, type 3, 914....and everything from CIS, to digifant to L-jet and beyond......the D-jet sytems are no more prone to fuel fires than any other sytem.

This is not saying NOT to carry a fire extinguisher. Should should carry one even....and especially....if you run carbs.

The issue with fires with D-jet....and L-jet....and digifant. .....are because 95% of all owners are lazy.

You do realize that the recommended change rate for rubber fuel lines (especially in hot climates) even before ethanol and rubber formulation issues.....which we have in spades now........is every 2-3 years.

Every two years on average......you should be spending two hours to check the tightness of each fuel line clamp (they get loose because the rubber underneath shrinks from outgassing) ....and inspect the cut end outside of each clamp. If its frayed and cracked......its "weathered".....and why would you expect that the rest of the hose is in any different or better condition? Its time to replace them.

This required maintenance interval and the time weighted risk of line leakage....and longer warranty periods ...are PRECISELY why OEM's have gone to as much nylon and metal line ad they can.

My point with all of this....is that the idea that early injection systems are prone to fire.....is sbsolute BS. They had a maintenace requirement that was largely ignored after they left factory warranty care.
What they are prone to is poor maintenace and lazy owners. Ray
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Porsche 914 2.0 - Driveway find Reply with quote

I didn't know most of the stuff you mentioned Ray. But now I do, so thanks! Like I said, I've never worked on FI systems before. I'm also not a mechanic by trade, just a hobbyist. But I do currently own numerous Type 1s, the latest one being a '65. Before that I had a bunch of Triumphs, which are also very simple. So when I compare the 914, or any FI system for that matter, to the aforementioned cars, it looks really different. I do have an engineering background which helps a bit with the learning curve, but to me there is no substitute for knowledge gained by experience.

I just ordered the parts I'll need for the brake system (including hoses) and hope to be working on it soon. However, a neat little Triumph TR250 found it's way to my home last week and is getting most of my attention now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: