Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

I was nearly through installing a GoWesty big brake kit on my 1983 Westy when I noticed some strange interference points on the lower ball joint stud and the spring coil itself hitting the front steering spindle. Wondering what was wrong, I went back to the GoWesty website and found at the very bottom of the fitment page they mention early Vanagons need 86-91 front steering spindles to work with their big brake kit. Crap, I missed that.

Furthermore, the spindles are apparently different between power and manual steering. I have manual steering, which was more rare on late model vans.

So now I'm stuck with a mostly installed big brake kit but incorrect spindles. I can't find them new at any of the parts suppliers. Ebay and Samba classifieds are empty right now.

Does anyone know if I can modify my spindles to work? At the very least, it looks like I need to drill out my caliper holes, which are threaded. I have never seen a later spindle, so I don't know what else is different.

I can't return the big brake kit at this point, I've pressed the studs and bearings into my spindles. I need a way to move forward. Any other ideas?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

Call GW. They have an extensive supply of used parts. If not...

WAY OUT SALVAGE: www.wayoutsalvage.com

AFFORDABLE GERMAN: 602.253.8889 (Arizona - All VW Models)

BW AUTO DISMANTLERS: 800.327.0888 (California - All VW Models)

RUSS' RECYCLING: 626.303.4366 (California - All VW Models)

FAST INC: 626-357-3361(California - All Watercooled VW Models)

SMALL CAR CONNECTION: 760.244.9811 (California - Aircooled, some Watercooled)
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

This place is in your area
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=607328
icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

if you have trouble finding late spindles, or want to maintain your steering geometry for non power steering, you can have your early spindles machined.
I just did this to my early spindles a few days ago to fit 312mm audi s4 brakes:

adapter machined to hold spindle:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

spindle held in mill and indicated for parallelism

spindle machined to thickness

compared to non machined spindle:

spindle held on drillpress to drill out holes to proper size:

keep in mind, this would cost you more than finding 86-91 spindles unless your a machinist or have a very close friend who is
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

Well, it looks like the only difference are those bolt hole ID's and the material thickness required to mount the different calipers. Trouble is, I don't know what thickness is required to get the GoWesty big brake calipers to align without a proper set in hand, or having someone carefully measure.

Thanks for the info!
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

icolquhoun wrote:
if you have trouble finding late spindles, or want to maintain your steering geometry for non power steering, you can have your early spindles machined.
I just did this to my early spindles a few days ago to fit 312mm audi s4

keep in mind, this would cost you more than finding 86-91 spindles unless your a machinist or have a very close friend who is

Nice write up.
What is the cut diameter and depth and what diameter is the hole drilled to?
Thanks
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

Different spindles for power and manual? Where did you find that info? I had seen the warning on the GW site and was planning on installing big brakes. I acquired some late model spindles but no idea what type of model it came from. I saw later that I need the caliper bolts too that ar elate model. BTW I have the 83 manual model too.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

I had a member on the Samba respond to my WTB ad to warn me that manual and power steering are different.

I know on my Volvos, those differences are manifested in how far forward the wheel bearing spindle is from the steering pivot. I'm assuming there's something like that on these as well, but I don't know about the specifics.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

Yes, they are different.

The best bet when buying late parts for the BBKs would be to buy the entire late front suspension.
Swap it all over, a huge improvement Wink

I have done the swap many times.
Buying a late parts van really makes the job easier and a financial win when you part the un needed rest.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

Here's a pic of power vs. non in this thread

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465050&highlight=spindles
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

So I've gone down the contact list and no one has 86-91 spindles from a manual steering Vanagon. Furthermore, several people told me they thought 86-91 Vanagons were pretty much non-existent in the US with manual steering.

So it looks like my only option is to machine my current spindles. Boring the bolt holes will be easy, but I don't know what thickness the flange needs to be on the spindle to get the caliper offset correct.

Does someone have this info, or can someone volunteer to measure the thickness of that flange on their late model spindles?
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

It took quite a while, but I successfully sourced a pair of late model, manual steering spindles. I had a Want To Buy advertisement up for a quite a while. Even the above posted insyncro replied (but when I offered under $500 a pair I never heard from him again ...).

So, if you have time, try a WTB ad, and be patient.

Last edited by GreenMachineVW on Mon May 16, 2016 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

If you can wait a day or so I can measure the spindles I have. I can also take pics big the measurement.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

Yes, I can wait. I am hoping to pull my spindles back out this week and take them to a machinist friend this weekend.

If you could post your findings in this thread, I can help create a guide for those that want to machine their spindles. It sounds like there are a few others in the same boat I am in.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

Seems like it would be a whole bunch easier just to buy the spindles for power steering, fill the existing hole and drill a new one farther out on the arm of the spindle. There's plenty of room there.

The new hole wouldn't have to be absolutely precisely located as long as both spindles had the new holes drilled in the same place, it all has to be re-aligned anyways...

gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

I'm being quoted $300-$500 for pairs of used power steering spindles. At this point, it looks like machining my own will be much cheaper.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

Looking at the machined ears above, it appears the majority of the material was removed from the inner edge and it looks as though they stopped the machining when it was near flush with the outer edges. That surface is what will center the caliper on the brake disc. You might be able to make some measurements with the parts you have on hand to determine how much material will need to be removed.

The fixture for holding the spindle in the mill is a very nice tool. Don't enlarge your caliper holes until you have the spindle surface milled. They are using the original caliper bolt threads to "hold" it secure during machining. You might get away with a less elaborate fixture, but you will need to hold the spindle level, and secure.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

Okay here are the pics and measurements from the spindles I have. They look to be the power steering type from a post 85 van. Not sure what exact model it was, the guy I got them from had removed them already.

Hope that helps, if you need any more measurements, let me know. I'll keep the part out for a little.

So I guess if I do the big brakes I could get the hole filled and redrilled further away to match the spindle I remove?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

To determine how much material should be removed from the early spindle, Pomfritz, if you could measure from the back plate mounting surface down to the machined ear where the caliper seats and then measure the same on the early spindle, subtract that measurement from the first measurement, and that should tell you how much material needs to be removed. That is directed at the original poster and to pomfritz.

As far as converting power spindle to manual spindles, I imagine the new tierod hole needs to be pretty equal on both spindles. If not, you will have one wheel turning more than the other. I think that is referred to as Ackerman angle.

Disclaimer, all of the above could be partially or completely wrong.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty big brake kit requires late model spindles? Crap... Reply with quote

Pomfritz, it looks like you took measurements only at the tie rod end hole on those spindles. If I machine my current manual steering spindles I won't need to touch those at all.

What I need is the thickness at the 2 caliper bolt holes. The power steering spindles are thinner at this location than manual steering versions, which is why I need to remove material from there.

I think we're almost there. Can you measure the thickness right at both of those bolt holes?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: