Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1970's pIMP Build Thread
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: The 1970's pIMP Build Thread Reply with quote

Hello all, a friend owns an uncut 70's vw Empi Imp style buggy. We asked him if we could work out a deal, he told us that the previous owner paid 800 and that we could take the buggy home if my father re-did the covers on couple of seats in his boat! One of my first post was asking if I should turn me and my fathers 67 into a class 11 baja. Well, plans changed and we slammed it to the ground. We planned on using our 1970 irs chassis, vw bus trans, raised thing I-beam, and a 3 body lift kit for the buggy. Plus a 2 liter motor that MIGHT come in later down the road. We still don't know if we can get it but if we do this will be the build thread. It will be awhile until this thread gets updated because we are in the process of building a garage we can put our toys in. Until then, wish us luck.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1970's pIMP Build Thread Reply with quote

2 years later I am finally getting to this...kinda. I had brand new 1500s LongBlock that was rebuilt quite well and has 0 miles on it laying around so I am going to build that motor while working on Riveria and building the motor for that. This is a pretty budget build but I am very anal about detail so it should come out pretty good.

All the oil galleries, exh ports, and intake holes were plugged so the motor is clean inside out.
Right now it is a stock fan shroud but in due time I will acquire a doghouse

2JZ Supra Turbo. Only using 1 obviously and I am not trying to set any records on hp or boost levels just something to scoot the little buggy around
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1970's pIMP Build Thread Reply with quote

Finished an intake for the turbo. Also made some supports for it (not pictured). For the carb I'll be gong with a Weber Progressive. Next up is the carb intake. It'll take some creativity since I don't have access to a TIG machine and I don't want it to weigh 1000lbs using lots of steel
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1970's pIMP Build Thread Reply with quote

Cool, I'll be following this.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: The 1970's pIMP Build Thread Reply with quote

I've seen people add a turbo to single port engines before, although not ideal it works. I'd second guess feeding it with a progressive carb though. Those are a huge pain to tune on a stock setup, I can only imagine the hassle of adding a turbo to the mix.
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: The 1970's pIMP Build Thread Reply with quote

........and I'm hoping that he follows through with the progressive carb idea. I want to see it work, so I can justify using the progressive Weber/Motorcraft/Holley 5200 clone that I have in the garage, on a new engine I'm building.
1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1970's pIMP Build Thread Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
I've seen people add a turbo to single port engines before, although not ideal it works. I'd second guess feeding it with a progressive carb though. Those are a huge pain to tune on a stock setup, I can only imagine the hassle of adding a turbo to the mix.

What's the hassle..you just have to make sure the jetting and manifold heat if correct to begin with. 90% of the progressive tuning is getting the idle jet sized and adjusted correctly...after you have sufficient manifold heat so the fuel stays in suspension as it freezes the manifold" The increased temperature of the compressed and heated air from the turbo might be easier than tuning it on a non-heated manifold on a stock 1500 motor. And using a Vac-Advance dizzy.

For instance the heat risers on this 4-1 are the traditionally wrong "pulsing" style. one of the ports needs to be redirected to the collector so one side feeds exhaust into the manifold and the other side sucks it out from the vacuum created in the collector. There is a thread in the engine section on doing it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: