Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

Finally got around to scanning my 1995/96 EVC with the VCDS Lite .

this is what came up:

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Sunday, 15 May 2016, 11:55:31.
Control Module Part Number: 01P 927 733
Component and/or Version: AG4 Getriebe 01P 2211
Software Coding: 00000
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
VCID: F093D3C3A3BB
1 Fault Found:
00300 - Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor (G93)
34-10 - No Elaboration Available - Intermittent
VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Sunday, 15 May 2016, 12:03:56.

Should I be looking at replacing the sensor or is it something i can live with for awhile/

Is it a huge job or just removing the pan and filter.

Because I am using the freeware version of VCDS-Lite should i question the integrity of the readings. I know there is alot of info the freeware doesn't supply.

Looking for any input.

Thanks
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

Try clearing the code and seeing if it returns first.
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

will do.

ill let you know.

thx.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

The temperature sensor is built into the ribbon that runs all of the solenoids inside the transmission. So, if you still have a problem, you'll need to replace that ribbon by pulling the pan.
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

o.k. thanks.

i'm going to run around a bit and see if that code comes back.

if so , ill try to source one and leave if for the next filter and ATF change.

i also understand from the Ross-Tech site that it could be the engine coolant sensor as well that is bringing up that code.

obviously a much cheaper and easier fix.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

Just Google: 01P Transmission ribbon cable

You'll find them for about $90.
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

jjvincent- I'm getting the same code on my '03 Weekender. Is the transmission coolant sensor located above the pan, same as in the '95/'96? Thanks.
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

And....could a fault in this sensor trigger a fault warning about intermittent misfires? Just guessing-
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

Go easy when removing the ribbon cable from the solenoids as the connectors can be very brittle.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

The ribbon is inside the pan.

I have never heard of a relation between the transmission temp sensor and a misfire.

Heed the warning about the connectors too. What I did was used an old furniture wrench (the stamped steel one that come with cheap furniture) and I filed the opening just wide enough to get around the connector. It made it easier. I think there's even a special VW tool for it (which looks like what I made).
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:

I have never heard of a relation between the transmission temp sensor and a misfire.

Agreed.

But I have experienced the relation between a failed trans. temp sensor and non-shifting tranny in limp-in mode so I'd suggest replacing it sooner than later. For the cost of a new one and the minimal labor time over and above the usually well deserved tranny service it's a just do it and don't wait for complete failure scenario IMO.

While your down there install new fill tube and range switch "O" rings to discourage future leaks.

1999 Eurovan
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

Also, you need to talk nice to the transmission while you are doing this. Give it some positive assertion because when a EV transmission becomes a Debbie Downer, it costs you lots of money to cheer her back up.
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I sprung for the new ribbon cable (OEM- spent the money) but can't locate a specialty tool for disconnecting the connectors from the solenoids.

jj Vincent- guess it may be obvious once I'm under there how to fashion a makeshift tool. VW dealer says try SnapOn, but without a number they can't locate anything. Any idea how to locate a number for this tool?

I don't mind making my own if it's an obvious rig- is it just a matter of a safe way to pull a clip that is held by pressure?
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

For anyone interested, the VW special tool is no. 3373.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

I've done a few using small pics and a gentle touch with no problems. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

Just be sure to blow off all the dirt around the connector on the outside of the trans. before removing the pan as grunge likes to accumulate there.

1999 Eurovan
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

Thanks. Guess the removal doesn't matter so much since I'm actually replacing it with a new ribbon cable.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

kenney158 wrote:
Thanks. Guess the removal doesn't matter so much since I'm actually replacing it with a new ribbon cable.

Yes just don't break a solenoid connector. I think the cable part would break before a solenoid though.

1999 Eurovan
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

a non-vw but very workable tool comes with valve body upgrade kits. i have one i can send if you aren't in a hurry. if you're interested PM me your address and i can mail it next week.
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

Thanks to the generosity of mvaska, I got the tool to remove the ribbon cable connectors. No obvious breaks in removing the old one, but two connectors don't have that satisfying "click" you feel when the connection is solid. Not sure whether this means damage to the pins on the solenoid- will have to reassemble and see if I get a code. There is no visible damage. Don't know whether vibration over time can make the connector drop off.

Related question- there is a date printed on the trans oil filter. Is that date there as a way to keep track of when the filter was installed? Mine says March 2002- can't imagine the filter wasn't changed since then. Any thoughts?
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor Fault Code 00300 Reply with quote

Okay. Installed new ribbon cable. Put new fluid in. No leaks.

Hooked up VCDS and - damn- same code. Trans fluid temp sensor. Cleared the code via VCDS and - damn- same code. Repeat. Same. Is it possible VCDS alone can't clear this- that I will still have to drive for awhile to get a cleared code?

I read earlier in this thread that the engine coolant sensor might throw this code. Possible?

A separate problem? I believe new ribbon cable is installed correctly. No other codes-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: