Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

I just bought 2007 sprinter sportsmobile to flip but after driving it around for a week I'm thinking I should sell my syncro. I can't keep both. I have offer of $55k for the sprinter and $60k offer for my syncro. Tough decision.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by whynotvw on Wed May 18, 2016 5:36 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

You are asking the Vanagon community which vehicle you should keep? Laughing
What's the Sprinter Forum say? Rolling Eyes
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

This is trick question.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

I'll take a stab at it, just to play...

Sprinter = 2wd, better fuel economy, modern, nicer ride?, lower maintenance costs, safer in an accident, decreasing in value for now, probably have to take it to a shop on occasion, easier to source parts, less likely to turn heads, more interior space

Syncro = 4wd (if you use it), antique/classic, stiffer ride, way higher maintenance costs, less safe in an accident, increasing in value though some feel prices are topped out for a while, up-gradable, be your own mechanic, parts can be hard to find, way cooler than a sprinter (babe magnet)

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
(babe magnet)

What he said...
2wdvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Well, your first clue should be that someone is offing you 60k for the syncro when they could have the sprinter for 5k dollars less. If you don't cherish the syncro, sell it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

My big boy car is a '05 MB wagon purchased new. Now @ 145,000 miles, regular maintenance and one battery later all we do is drive it anywhere, anytime and any weather. It is the cheapest and best car I have ever owned.

Friend up the street with Syncro Doka just replace it with a new Sprinter 4x4 and custom interior to get some reliability in his travels.

But we both admit the Syncro is much more fun and interesting to own and drive.

Good Luck.
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Given the increasing scarcity of finding a quality Syncro at a fair price, and assuming that you are making some decent coin off of flipping the Sprinter Sportsmobile, I say flip the Sprinter as planned and plow the margin back into the Syncro. You can get another Sprinter anytime...or, sell both and get a MB Sprinter 4x4 w/ BluTec diesel and start your build.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
The reason I'm selling is I'm just not using it that much. I went camping three or four times last two years.

^That from your Syncro ad.

A) With the Sprinter, will you be camping as often as you have with the Syncro?
B) You've poured a shipload of money into that Syncro, yet you're not using it... why?

Depending on the answer to those questions, I say sell them both and invest the money into something you'll actually use and enjoy.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

^^^ The Sprinter is a commodity. A 2wd Sprinter is dropping in appeal and interest as 4wd units hit the mkt. What is it that you do with these things? Grocery getter? Every weekend to a KOA? Down a forest service road for a climbing trip? Weekend ski hut at the slopes? 1 month road trip every year? The vanagon is more fun, unless if you're ready enjoy the comfort and reliability of a Sprinter.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
I'll take a stab at it, just to play...

Sprinter = 2wd, better fuel economy, modern, nicer ride?, lower maintenance costs, safer in an accident, decreasing in value for now, probably have to take it to a shop on occasion, easier to source parts, less likely to turn heads, more interior space

Syncro = 4wd (if you use it), antique/classic, stiffer ride, way higher maintenance costs, less safe in an accident, increasing in value though some feel prices are topped out for a while, up-gradable, be your own mechanic, parts can be hard to find, way cooler than a sprinter (babe magnet)

-Kevin

Right on the button.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Met a guy on the White Rim trail in Canyon Lands National Park last month. He had a spanking new 4x4 diesel Sprinter. Sweet looking ride, great interior. He also turned around and bailed on the trail because someone coming the other way said it got too difficult in the next section (Murphy's Hogback). We did it in our syncro, it was fairly scary and more importantly possible too narrow for the Sprinter. Something to consider.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
Chugach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Keep the syncro:
At the start of a 5700 mile road trip, The wife of a good friend of mine was distraught over the occasional quirks of the family syncro: "We should get a sprinter!" Like a live radio request, a new broken sprinter passed by on the deck of a flatbed tow truck. That was the last time it came up!
I'm no sprinter hater, if I were still contracting I would be driving one daily, but I could list a hundred reasons why I'd never trade my syncros for a sprinter, I'll let the forum list them

Here are my top 2: Sprinters have no soul!; and they are building more of them.....
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

I'll let your own words answer your question.......

From.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401525&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

whynotvw wrote:
I had my first note about month ago on the windshield inquiring if it was for sale. I constantly get comments like I didn't know they made 4x4. and I get compliments all the time from non VW people. Smile

Little off subject:
One day I parked behind a Sporstmobile which had all the bells and whistles by the beach. The owner of the Sportsmobile and I started chatting about our vans. He was nice but he started making comments like "oh I know two syncro owners that sold their vans to buy a sportsmobile" and implying that sportsmobile was superior. That comment made me little ticked off and I shot back, sportsmobile is just a glorified passenger van. Syncros is a classic, unlike sportsmobile that will continue to depreciate. That kind of shut him up. Cool

whynotvw wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
So in 20+ years the sportsmoblile won't be worth at or more than the original $75k+ purchase price? Laughing

Lucky if its worth $5k.

Don't get me wrong I think sporstmobile vans are cool but, they just don't have the character and the cool factor as the VW's. Very Happy

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

The fact that you even have to ask, tells me you're not a true Vanagon enthusiast, so the simple answer is what he says:

kamzcab86 wrote:

I say sell them both and invest the money into something you'll actually use and enjoy.

And you will have $115k to do that Smile
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

[quote="djkeev"]I'll let your own words answer your question.......

From.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401525&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

That was one of those ford sportsmobile not a Sprinter sportsmobile, big difference. Evil or Very Mad
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Fitting topic/handle combo Smile

You could have far worse problems on your hand.
If my wife knew we were sitting on 2 vans with a FMV of $110k I think she'd be looking for buyers of both of them.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

No one leaping at a high dollar $yncro these days?

IMO, trying to sell a van for over $50,000 is best done using means other than the classifieds section, CL and eBay.

These vans need the seller to find a new owner or use a broker.

Look at all the shops, fabricators and small businesses trying to flip vans now.

I see no reason to keep a Sprinter and sell a Syncro Rolling Eyes , but as stated previously, it sounds like the owner isn't into the van for the long haul.

Too bad, it is a nice van.

Lowering the price will get it sold.
Lowering, meaning, below what you have in it Wink
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

I always factor in what will I do with it when I am NOT USING IT?

My Syncro sleeps comfortably each night in the garage…the Sprinter will need a barn. Especially the 4x4…those rigs are BIG!
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: sprinter or syncro. which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Def a tough decision;
Sprinter have nice A/C, quiet at hwy speed, drive 80+mph all day.
Syncro have the cool factor/ conversation starter, appreciate value every yr, 4x4 for offroading.

I think you should do Pro/Con chart since you have experience in both vehicles and rank what is important to you. Only you know what you really want and it will help to see the pros and cons of it visually.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: