Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Chugach wrote:
The Syncro with all its known, adorable,and inherent weaknesses does not have a very expensive and apparently fatally flawed egr-def-exhaust system that a growing number of sprinter owners are discovering... Bummer

2002-2006 has no DEF system, the EGR valves are not the most reliable, but they're simple to replace and run ~$300.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

The dpf systems seem to be fairly reliable overall. They will need replaced at some point as they seem to be wear out. I think many of the dpf issues come from owners operating the vehicle for long periods with another malfunction. The regen process is fairly sensitive. Of course many other vendors are having similar issues with dpf and scr equipment.

I argree that SCR/DEF adblue system had some teething issues at introduction. Many of which were exacerbated by poor dealer tech training. Updated programming and redesigned nox sensors seem to have solved the issue for many.

By all accounts the new I4 dual turbo engine and 7 speed auto is rock solid, and an improvement over the 6 cylinder.

For early ncv3 vans dpf and egr delete is available. The same for T1Ns.

2004+ T1Ns have an improved egr design which can last the life of the vehicle.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Sold the sprinter yesterday, the buyer for syncro backed out. Honestly I would've like to keep the Sprinter. Oh well, I'm glad I got to drive the Sprinter and try it out. $50 to fill up goes about 500-550 miles. Drives like a car, tons of storage, every person that I knew gave me compliments. Thumbs up everywhere. At this point in my life Sprinter would've been more practical.

I had multiple buyers for the Sprinter at $55k I'm pretty sure I could've sold it for over $60k. I had a buyer at $55k and I gave verbal agreement to sell to him without deposit. It took a week for buyer to make arrangement to buy it. Just incase this deal didn't go through I raised the listing price to $65k and I was still getting lot of interests. But I wanted to honor my word so the buyer took delivery yesterday. But I'm sure I would've got over $60k for it.

The original owners bought it for $78,000. I could've easily sold it for over $60-$65k WoW that's not bad. Depreciate my ass. Seriously, maybe it was the layout but sprinter diesel does not depreciate much. I could've sold it multiple times over.

Last night I had little of seller's remorse and I tried to find something similar and there was none in the whole united states for that $55k price range.ZERO right now with that price range and model and sportsmobile layout. No wonder the buyer was so thankful and happy. Well good for him. He was a really a nice guy. I know I could've made more money but keeping your word is important too. Good thing is I paid less then $40k two weeks ago so I don't need to be greedy.

Thanks for all the input. I know Syncros are nice but Sprinter kicks ass. My next dream van Sprinter 4x4 sportsmobile with poptop with similar westfalia layout. Guarantee it will hold its value and just a awesome rig.

By the way my sprinter had about 72,000 miles.

Jackbombay and others who pm'd me because they didn't want to get crucified by saying sprinter was better. After driving both and having both on the market for sale. Hands down sprinter is a kick ass van, not sure if its better but for me I think there is no comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

what the world needs is a 4wd Sprinter the size of a Vanagon
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Hands down sprinter is a kick ass van, not sure if its better...

This!

They are different tools, and work better or worse for the various jobs asked of them. I often get asked if the sprinter is better than the Vanagon, I always respond "It's different". Ultimately, there's not really a wrong way to road trip in a van Cool

Samba ad here.

MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

What vehicle is the best for me? The one that takes you where you want to be. Cool

In response to the helpless off pavement comment. My 2wd sprinter with lift and A/T tires will go 98% of the places my vanagon westy does. Which is saying quite a lot. Shocked
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

You know there are companies that have been converting Sprinters to 4WD for years now, right? You can have your Sprinter with 4WD without buying new and still have most of the 60 grand left from selling your Syncro, if you can bear to sell the Syncro.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
In response to the helpless off pavement comment. My 2wd sprinter with lift and A/T tires will go 98% of the places my vanagon westy does. Which is saying quite a lot. Shocked

My hundred bucks in a horse fight says your short wheel base sprinter is more capable off road than a 2 wd vanagon westy, even if you hadn't lifted it...

Ultimately though, the coolest places I ever go on my road trips are always on excursions away from my van, by getting wrapped up in the "off road/4wd culture" a lot of people miss out on some really cool experiences. The 4wd doesn't intrinsically prevent you from going where a 2wd van can, but it does often put people in a mindset of "Where can I drive my van to?" instead of "Where can *I* get to?".

Lots of people think that because I don't have 4wd my vacations suck, so I'll submit some photos as evidence to the contrary, small sampling of photos from the last 18 months or so Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, those are icebergs floating in a lake in Ak,

This little cabin on the south side of Kachemak bay, you won't get here in your syncro, you need a boat! Wink

Samba ad here.

Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Sold the sprinter yesterday, the buyer for syncro backed out. Honestly I would've like to keep the Sprinter. Oh well, I'm glad I got to drive the Sprinter and try it out. $50 to fill up goes about 500-550 miles. Drives like a car, tons of storage, every person that I knew gave me compliments. Thumbs up everywhere. At this point in my life Sprinter would've been more practical.

I had multiple buyers for the Sprinter at $55k I'm pretty sure I could've sold it for over $60k. I had a buyer at $55k and I gave verbal agreement to sell to him without deposit. It took a week for buyer to make arrangement to buy it. Just incase this deal didn't go through I raised the listing price to $65k and I was still getting lot of interests. But I wanted to honor my word so the buyer took delivery yesterday. But I'm sure I would've got over $60k for it.

The original owners bought it for $78,000. I could've easily sold it for over $60-$65k WoW that's not bad. Depreciate my ass. Seriously, maybe it was the layout but sprinter diesel does not depreciate much. I could've sold it multiple times over.

Last night I had little of seller's remorse and I tried to find something similar and there was none in the whole united states for that $55k price range.ZERO right now with that price range and model and sportsmobile layout. No wonder the buyer was so thankful and happy. Well good for him. He was a really a nice guy. I know I could've made more money but keeping your word is important too. Good thing is I paid less then $40k two weeks ago so I don't need to be greedy.

Thanks for all the input. I know Syncros are nice but Sprinter kicks ass. My next dream van Sprinter 4x4 sportsmobile with poptop with similar westfalia layout. Guarantee it will hold its value and just a awesome rig.

By the way my sprinter had about 72,000 miles.

Jackbombay and others who pm'd me because they didn't want to get crucified by saying sprinter was better. After driving both and having both on the market for sale. Hands down sprinter is a kick ass van, not sure if its better but for me I think there is no comparison.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-vr-motorise/gatineau/merced...nFlag=true

Sprinter Westfalia Baby!
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

So, I drove to Alaska in my sprinter with 5200 pounds of Cargo and trailer, and I got 20 MPG for the trip, best tank was 23 MPG, worst was 18 MPG. I essentially could have towed a vanagon and would have gotten better MPGs than driving the vanagon.

And some more pics from my road trip that didn't include 4wd so it was terrible Wink

Samba ad here.

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Size comparison. Photo found on Syncro fb page.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:

No fair! Your trailer appears to have some kind of Fred Flintstone autonomous foot propulsion device installed. That's cheating

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Sprinter is more modern, more comforts, etc. But its more of a McMansion type of thing for me. I just prefer the older smaller stuff.
-terry
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

During the next recession, used Sprinters will flood the market, the perfect time to pick one up cheap from someone who took a bath on it, not in it. (c) Samba

The Synchro owners will hold on during the recession knowing it will come back.
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Sixty grand for a Syncro?! :shock:

Bloody Hell. I wish I was trying to sell mine in the US!

Over here [UK] they go from about £5000 - £12000, depending on wht kind of condition they're in. Even allowing for £ to $ conversion, that's a hell of a difference.

Re Sprinters. Great vans [I fancied one of the 4x4 ones myself, but they DO go for silly money over here]. But, like all Mercedes vans, great mechanicals let down by bodywork made of tin-foil. Might not be a big deal in warmer, drier climes. But it's rare to see one in UK that isn't rusting away badly along the seams and door bottoms.
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

That 60k syncro is just samba talk, real prices are between 20 and 30 for a NICE example.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
That 60k syncro is just samba talk, real prices are between 20 and 30 for a NICE example.

Where are you seeing nice syncro westies for 20-30k?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Steve Arndt wrote:

theres a handful that pop up here and there. the 40-80k ones tend to sit on the classifieds for a while.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
SyncroButter wrote:
Steve Arndt wrote:

theres a handful that pop up here and there. the 40-80k ones tend to sit on the classifieds for a while.

Lol!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sprinter or Syncro: Which one would you keep? Reply with quote

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/vw-t3-...7-220-5776

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/volksw...6-220-1309

Maybe you see the differences
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: