Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

Am I mistaken? Note ad: reg'd in Canada, located in U.S. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1929195
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

It seems it might be able to be registered. See the second to last post in the thread linked below (by CdnVWJunkie, page 3). You could check with the seller if it has the appropriate DOT stickers. That is one sweet van! I thought you just got a "new" van?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=40

Bill
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
It seems it might be able to be registered. See the second to last post in the thread linked below (by CdnVWJunkie, page 3). You could check with the seller if it has the appropriate DOT stickers. That is one sweet van! I thought you just got a "new" van?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=40

Bill

Not for me. I love my 'new' van. Just curious. Looks like from DOT listing at the end of that link you shared, it would not be eligible. I'm only seeing 93 and 94's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
formerknuckledragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

Seeing this (my dream van) after my recent purchase definitely set off some regret pangs. Thinking that it can't be registered in California makes it feel just a little better...
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

I think I will move to Canada

Very Happy
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

Offer to buy it on the condition that it's legally registered, licensed and insured in the US before you buy it. Here in PA, it only costs $36 to register and license a vehicle. It's another $35 for an inspection (since it's a diesel it needs not emissions). Then it shouldn't cost any more than $500/year for full insurance which can be had when you give them the VIN of the vehicle. If it's no big deal, then no more than $100 and a few hours will seal the deal. If I had that EV I'd spend that money right away and then jack the price up to $50K because someone here will buy it then.
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

That's a sweet rig.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

MAny threads on this, the problem is the border crossing.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

That engine was not certified by the EPA for any use in the US & therefore would/could encounter issues with registration depending on what state you try to register it in. Last year someone had a diesel camper in the classifieds that was registered in Alaska but when he tried to transfer title to NC, they effectively destroyed the title & he couldn't get tags or the title back to sell it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

It can be registered in the US and it's easy to do. Take your existing EV and pull the whole driveline out of it. Buy this EV and install it into yours. Part out the EV you bought and send the shell to the crusher. Then go get a fuel type change for your existing EV. You are set. If you want to even do better, take your EVC and do the driveline swap.

$35K is a pretty good deal to just make sure that your EV will never break again and it'll give 30mpg. Plus, you'll be the envy of everyone here.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
That engine was not certified by the EPA for any use in the US & therefore would/could encounter issues with registration depending on what state you try to register it in. Last year someone had a diesel camper in the classifieds that was registered in Alaska but when he tried to transfer title to NC, they effectively destroyed the title & he couldn't get tags or the title back to sell it.

Yeah - I wonder what happened to that guy. That was a real pisser.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

Best thing to do is get a T4 that is cut in half from Europe. Take the front half and buy it as parts. Take everything and convert your EV a diesel with a manual. Get a fuel change for the title and you are set. Only drawback is that it costs money and if you don't have the info or knowledge, that costs 2X the money. People do this all of the time with non-VAG products. It's just that you got to expand your horizons when it comes to what you want or looking for.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
It can be registered in the US and it's easy to do. Take your existing EV and pull the whole driveline out of it. Buy this EV and install it into yours. Part out the EV you bought and send the shell to the crusher. Then go get a fuel type change for your existing EV. You are set. If you want to even do better, take your EVC and do the driveline swap.

$35K is a pretty good deal to just make sure that your EV will never break again and it'll give 30mpg. Plus, you'll be the envy of everyone here.

The problem here is that technically the 5cyl TDI is still illegal to use as it was never certified in the USA. You can legally import them all day long as the EPA does not regulate auto parts. But as soon as you install it in a vehicle, its illegal.

You personally *might* get away with it if you live in a place where it never gets inspected but the moment you try to sell it it may be a very narrow market.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

I converted a Passat Wagon to a V6 TDI about 10 years ago and a BMW e46 to a 330d. It wasn't a problem to get a fuel change for it. Cars have an updated title and are insured. The 330d was sold to someone in Colorado and it got licensed and insured. I can see how a place like California might be a problem.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
I converted a Passat Wagon to a V6 TDI about 10 years ago and a BMW e46 to a 330d. It wasn't a problem to get a fuel change for it. Cars have an updated title and are insured. The 330d was sold to someone in Colorado and it got licensed and insured. I can see how a place like California might be a problem.

That really isn't the issue. People do swaps all the time.......and as I said, you would "probably get away with it" if no one ever looked.

I live in the emmissions testing area in Colorado. They do yearly diesel testing, and every 2 years for gasoline cars.

The problem is that the 5cyl TDI never came to the USA in any vehicle. So there is no way to *legally* use the engine here. Which is different than swapping in an engine that came in another car available in the USA. In Colorado they would spot that immediately when trying to do your emmissions test.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure that's accurate. I put a 1.9TD AAZ engine into a 1990 T3 Vanagon Adventurewagen (also in Colorado). This engine was never offered in the USA but it was offered in Mexico, Canada, and Europe. Once the conversion was completed, I went to a DMV station that verified the fuel change. They issued a new title and I was set to go. It wasn't a single individual, but a number of people that looked at it before they signed off on the paperwork. I was also exempt from needing emissions testing. That was my experience in 2009. - Bill
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
I'm not entirely sure that's accurate. I put a 1.9TD AAZ engine into a 1990 T3 Vanagon Adventurewagen (also in Colorado). This engine was never offered in the USA but it was offered in Mexico, Canada, and Europe. Once the conversion was completed, I went to a DMV station that verified the fuel change. They issued a new title and I was set to go. It wasn't a single individual, but a number of people that looked at it before they signed off on the paperwork. I was also exempt from needing emissions testing. That was my experience in 2009. - Bill

That engine is essentially just a dirivative of a 1.9TDI though which was offered here. They don't so much care about the "block" but the whole system.

I've been talking to the State of Colorado diesel testing guys a lot about my swap to make sure it will be legal. They don't really check every engine block code. But rather check to make sure the emmisons technology is in compliance for that 1.9l TDI and the year of your van. They told me they didn't really care what year or where the block itsef came from as long as the rest of the system was analogous to something else in the USA. (I talked to these guys for 3 hours in person about two months ago while having my Sprinter inspected. Which as of this year now has to be tested by the state and not an independent station)

But if you show up with an extra cyl. (5 instead of 4) They have no reference to check it against. Which is essentially the risk here. It's not as simply as sneaking in a Euro only block code but trying to sneak by an engine with more cyl than they are looking for.

My understanding is that Cali checks for the block code!!
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

A 330d was never sold in the US but somehow it got registered in PA then CO and went to OR a few months ago. I guess some people are lucky then.

The Passat was last registered in GA but the car was totaled when a tree fell on it after that major ice storm they had a few years ago. Again, another lucky person.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
A 330d was never sold in the US but somehow it got registered in PA then CO and went to OR a few months ago. I guess some people are lucky then.

The Passat was last registered in GA but the car was totaled when a tree fell on it after that major ice storm they had a few years ago. Again, another lucky person.

.....and it sounds like both used basic engine platforms that we're available in the USA. This isn't about using or doing swaps. This is about an engine architecture that was never here so it stands out like a giant red flag.

In Colorado most of the diesel inspections are done by private shops that may simply choose to overlook things. So bringing in a swapped car from out of state may sneak through the paperwork. Converting one already registered here will probably never fly as they will want to inspect it. They'll ask where the 5 cyl engine came from. Not as simple of an answer as sneaking by a 1.9TDI that's common to see here.

This year they have changed some of the rules, for example the Sprinter vans can no longer go to a private shop and must be inspected by the state itself.

Like I've said many times here "you'll probably get away with it" but it's still technically illegal to use the 5cyl diesel. There are guys out there running them in places that "never look". It's just worth understanding the legality and risks if you choose to do such a thing.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

What most people dont consider is that when you have an oddball vehicle, the cost of fixing it when it comes to the parts that are specific to it end up costing you double or triple.

The 330d has an intake hose the blew apart and the car was dead in the water. It took an order from Germany to get the part because you can;t buy used since it fails often. So, you have to determine how fast you want it as to the amount of time the car is just sitting in some town out in the middle of nowhere. Same thing happened to the starter. Again, specific part for the car and not available in the US. Want it fast, it's gonna cost you.

This is like the time when I transported a Renault R5 Turbo from CA to NY (those cars are garbage and drive really bad). It broke down twice (this was back in the mid 90's so forget about using the internet). First time it broke a motor mount and took out two coolant hoses and an intake pipe. I spent 3 days in Texarkana at a gas station and $2K later I was back on the road until the alternator took a dump (it's a garbage Paris Rhone). Luckily, it had the same guts as a 911 and I was able to get a pair of diodes and solder them in.

In the end, everything is great as long as you are thrifty and can work on them. If not, good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: