Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:

This is like the time when I transported a Renault R5 Turbo from CA to NY (those cars are garbage and drive really bad).

Haha! Laughing

Buddy of mine I imported one last year Very Happy
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
What most people dont consider is that when you have an oddball vehicle, the cost of fixing it when it comes to the parts that are specific to it end up costing you double or triple.

The 330d has an intake hose the blew apart and the car was dead in the water. It took an order from Germany to get the part because you can;t buy used since it fails often. So, you have to determine how fast you want it as to the amount of time the car is just sitting in some town out in the middle of nowhere. Same thing happened to the starter. Again, specific part for the car and not available in the US. Want it fast, it's gonna cost you.

This is like the time when I transported a Renault R5 Turbo from CA to NY (those cars are garbage and drive really bad). It broke down twice (this was back in the mid 90's so forget about using the internet). First time it broke a motor mount and took out two coolant hoses and an intake pipe. I spent 3 days in Texarkana at a gas station and $2K later I was back on the road until the alternator took a dump (it's a garbage Paris Rhone). Luckily, it had the same guts as a 911 and I was able to get a pair of diodes and solder them in.

In the end, everything is great as long as you are thrifty and can work on them. If not, good luck.

This
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

The key is to own a bunch of oddbal cars Wink ......and motorcycles Wink

Then you always have one to drive while waiting for parts Wink
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
The key is to own a bunch of oddbal cars :wink: ......and motorcycles :wink:

Then you always have one to drive while waiting for parts :wink:

When I lived in Atlanta back in the early 90's, I owned a 1962 Coupe De Ville. And happened to live a few miles from the region's main NAPA warehouse. I could get ANYTHING for that car by walking through the door. When I moved away, not so much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Xtremjeepn wrote:
The key is to own a bunch of oddbal cars Wink ......and motorcycles Wink

Then you always have one to drive while waiting for parts Wink

When I lived in Atlanta back in the early 90's, I owned a 1962 Coupe De Ville. And happened to live a few miles from the region's main NAPA warehouse. I could get ANYTHING for that car by walking through the door. When I moved away, not so much.

Link

dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

Here's another one for sale in Washington State. 1999 T4 TDI Syncro, Full Camper. Nearly impossible to register legally in the US, but it seems they've done it somehow. It appears to have Washington plates. I'd be interested to hear if it could be reg'd in, say, California.
"We are selling because we are leaving the country soon."
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1930663

Spare parts would probably be a sonofabitch to find. Neat van tho...
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Here's another one for sale in Washington State. 1999 T4 TDI Syncro, Full Camper. Nearly impossible to register legally in the US, but it seems they've done it somehow. It appears to have Washington plates. I'd be interested to hear if it could be reg'd in, say, California.

From what I have read on the NHTSA and EPA sites, it's possible for a Non-resident to import a vehicle for private use while in the country for up to a year.

That vehicle may need to be registered based on local laws.(many states require you to register your car in their state if you are going to be there for more than 30 days. Of course this rarely happens but it's pretty easy to spot a van with Euro plates and stop it)

Note, that this means it may have Washingnton plates but that does NOT mean that it has a Washington title or can be registered by someone else.

Someone may have sipped this one past the DMV somehow too. But it would suck to wind up like the guy that bought the TDI Syncro with Alaskan title only to get it confiscated by the DMV in his home state when he tried to register it.

I'd also check the VIN plate against the ViN stamped on the chassis cowl to make sure it hasn't been swapped with one from a USA van. That one is a felony.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
dixoncj wrote:

From what I have read on the NHTSA and EPA sites, it's possible for a Non-resident to import a vehicle for private use while in the country for up to a year.

That vehicle may need to be registered based on local laws.(many states require you to register your car in their state if you are going to be there for more than 30 days. Of course this rarely happens but it's pretty easy to spot a van with Euro plates and stop it)

Note, that this means it may have Washingnton plates but that does NOT mean that it has a Washington title or can be registered by someone else.

Someone may have sipped this one past the DMV somehow too. But it would suck to wind up like the guy that bought the TDI Syncro with Alaskan title only to get it confiscated by the DMV in his home state when he tried to register it.

I'd also check the VIN plate against the ViN stamped on the chassis cowl to make sure it hasn't been swapped with one from a USA van. That one is a felony.

Was that the guy in N Carolina? So it actually got confiscated? I wondered if he was gonna be able to sell it to, say, Europe and ship it back to the buyer in Europe. What a pisser.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:

Was that the guy in N Carolina? So it actually got confiscated? I wondered if he was gonna be able to sell it to, say, Europe and ship it back to the buyer in Europe. What a pisser.

Yep! That's the one.

He went to the DMV to register the van and they confiscated the Alaska title and told him it wasn't legal to register in the USA.

The seller vanished.

Not sure what became of it. He wanted too much to consider it a "parts van"

He essentially had no legal proof he owned it or had the right to sell it either.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
dixoncj wrote:

Yep! That's the one.

He went to the DMV to register the van and they confiscated the Alaska title and told him it wasn't legal to register in the USA.

The seller vanished.

Not sure what became of it. He wanted too much to consider it a "parts van"

He essentially had no legal proof he owned it or had the right to sell it either.

Holy crap. Do you know how much he paid for it? Or how to get ahold of him? Oh, wait, I found that original thread we were commenting on.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622614&start=0
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

That's the worst example to use to try to prove a point. It has so many holes in that story it reminds me of someone trying to sell stolen goods. Everything is too vague and convenient. Plus it pulls at your heartstrings because it's a vehicle everyone would want yet it can't be had. So sad.

Think about it:

1. How do we know it's not stolen from some other country and smuggled into the US? No title. No info on the previous owner. Sort of like the story of the street sportbike that became a track bike, the VIN is not in any US database, the owner has no title for it and the previous owner evaporated into thin air. Nothing fishy there at all.

2. Wouldn't the DMV just send the guy a letter telling him as to what was going on with it? He had to call to see what was going on? Last time I checked, the DMV is paperwork happy. Why did it not send up any red flags when he was at the DMV? This is not 1970 and they are ysing a typewriter. They literally put in all of the info on the vehicle while you are there. It should have rejected it faster than Morgan Fairchild rejecting claims that I'm her boyfriend.

3. Good Title? How do we know that? Forging a title is not that hard. If you want, you can buy my EV but I'll change the name of the seller to George Clooney and sign his name on the dash with a black sharpie. That way when you go camping in it, all the women in the campground will want to try it out too. You'll be fighting them off with a stick.

4. Why not contact an attorney? With the info from the vehicle you bought it from, the old license plate numbers and the old sellers info on the old title should get you in the right direction. An attorney with a PI and just the VIN on the van should be able to provide a good paper trail and the whereabouts of this previous owner. When that happens, you just make him pay you the money back (plus fees) and give him the van back. The guy may provide a reward to someone for solving his problem? You've got to be kidding me.

This story and ad, has scam written all over it. The reason why it was trying to be sold here is because the sympathy and desire might just get one of you to pony up the cash and then it's your problem.

As for the OP and that 2002 EV, I noticed it's been edited. Probably for spelling......
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

Actually, it's the perfect example of the possible shit storm that can be encountered. First person (party A) gets lucky & gets it registered in Alaska, they move to another state & find out it can't be registered there, they sell it to another person (party B) from yet another state, they try to register in NC & NC flags it as not legal & confiscate the title. Now party B has no title & a van he can't register, he tries to get party A to get a copy of the original title from a state he no longer lives in & eventually quits communicating with a frustrated party B.

The 2002 has OBD 2 which communicates with the DMV computer, when the ECM tells the DMV computer that it's engine code is something that is not in the federal database, then it's flagged. The examples you gave were mechanical injection systems & less likely to be caught by the officials.

You have been lucky due to many factors, whether the vehicle was originally US spec, the driveline was US spec or non-computerized, or just that DMV personnel were ignorant. The last conversion I did, the DMV officer looked at the engine & wanted me to prove that it was a diesel, I was just dumbfounded that the person that is inspecting the cars couldn't tell the difference between a diesel & gas engine.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

I still don't understand why person B wouldn't have just contacted an attorney and then went that route. It's not the first time this has been done.

When I did gas to diesel conversions, there was paperwork that needed to be filed and the highway patrol had to look at the cars. Then they got a new title and registration. After that one went to GA, the other to CO and then onto OR. Never heard of a problem with them getting a new title or license. One was a 2003 and the other a 2001. Both had OBD-2 ports and were not some basic diesel like a 1982 Rabbit.

The interesting part is this. You just can't drive or ship any complete car to the US without it getting flagged. So, when a vehicle shows up in the US that's not supposed to be here, it's either here for a limited period of time, they spent a pile of cash to make it legal or someone did it illegally. They didn't all of a sudden get lucky.

Of those lucky people, they seem to never tell anyone how they got it in the US. The reason is, they got it in the US illegally because it's not like this EV is some high dollar vehicle that people are lining up to throw cash at it. So, it's better to just not say anything and let everyone else salivate as to what they could get.

Trust me, its hard enough to import a racecar into the US. Especially if it looks sort of like a street car (i.e. Porsche GT3 Cup car). You got to sign your life away that it will never be used for the street. They even have a normal looking VIN on them. If I winged it, got a title and license for it, that would be illegal. If I sold it and the buyer assumed that I got it licensed legally but I didn't, that would be really illegal. So importing a 2002 EV is no different than importing a 2002 GT3 Cup car or importing a 1994 993 Supercup or 1994 EV from Germany. Makes no difference.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

But you're not doing it correctly by importing "parts" that are not certified by the EPA & installing it in a US registered vehicle. By that logic, you can import your GT3 cup car, swap everything into a shell & call it legal. Just because you get it past a DMV official doesn't mean that a more knowledgable official won't catch it. But it will undergo more scrutiny if it's a non US compliant VIN than a reshelled driveline.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: This 02 Eurovan can't be registered in the U.S. - correct? Reply with quote

That's why I got a fuel change for the title. It had nothing with getting something past a DMV official. Just what the state provided me for paperwork that needed to be done correctly. I'd never do it again because it took way too much time and phone calls/emails to get it done right. I could have easily circumvented the whole process and saved myself time and money but that would be illegal.

As for that 1994 EV, it was imported illegally. If it wasn't, then the owner would have the paperwork. Since the owner did not, they got it into the country and forged documents to get a license for it. Illegal importation, forging documents for registration and selling illegal imported goods is something that will get you in a heap of trouble. Reselling illegal imported goods will get you into trouble too.

The original owner knew what they did was wrong and scammed someone else (we assume there was an original owner but there's no proof there was). Even buying it as parts, is just as illegal because customs is going to want to know where these parts came from, when they were imported and what the value is. If that can't be proved, then it's up to them to figure out the fee+fine+interest.

Honestly, I could bring back 10 Canadian oddball imported EV's from Canada if I wanted to. Race teams go across the border all of the time with trailers full of cars and equipment. Sometimes when I go across, they want to look in the trailer and other times, they just send me right through. They have no idea if I got a racecar and a EV in there. I could buy that 2002 EV and pick it up when I'm back up in Canada for the race at Mosport. I bet I could sneak it through the border. I could just then take the plates and VIN on the dash off of my 2003 EV and put it on the 2002. Then set up a residence in the next county north of me and no emissions. As for safety, that's easy. It's just that I'll be in a heap of trouble if I sold it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: