Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back in the Saddle: The Simple Joy of a Bus Road Trip
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Back in the Saddle: The Simple Joy of a Bus Road Trip Reply with quote

I have had two ankle operations in the last four months. On Monday I finally got the OK to ditch my cast, and now have a fiberglass boot on my right foot. Compared to a cast this thing feels like an olympic sprinter's shoe, and I can now walk--and drive--for the first time since October.

Doctor's office Monday afternoon, bus out of storage and on the road by Tuesday morning!

After sitting five months in storage the bus started with TWO SECONDS of cranking and idled perfectly. Stopped after 10 miles or so to check oil, gas lines, brakes, tires--all were perfect. Bus ran smooth as silk the rest of the way on my 275 mile trip and I could easily have driven further if I'd had to.

The excuse for this trip is to check out a downstate shop to do some major work on another car I have, but truth be told I would have found any excuse to take the bus on a trip if this reason wasn't available. Wink I am lucky enough to have a couple different nice vehicles, but when it came time to choose one for my "inaugural drive" I didn't even hesitate in picking the bus.

There is just something comfortable, relaxing and satisfying about driving one of these when everything is working right. For everybody who is in the midst of getting their bus running or sorted, hang in there! It is worth it! These are truly unique vehicles that will reward you with miles of fun driving if you get them up to snuff and keep them that way.

I have some more operations to go, but have decided to take the Summer off and enjoy my car hobby while the weather is nice here in the midwest. My bus is back in action, it is a nice feeling. Very Happy
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right Bob!

Glad you are back! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangeeyesore
Samba Bammer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome,glad you are up and around again.

As it says, who have you got as a quote in your signature line and why?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Back in the Saddle: The Simple Joy of a Bus Road Trip Reply with quote

Bob D. wrote:
There is just something comfortable, relaxing and satisfying about driving one of these when everything is working right. For everybody who is in the midst of getting their bus running or sorted, hang in there! It is worth it! These are truly unique vehicles that will reward you with miles of fun driving if you get them up to snuff and keep them that way.

I couldn't have said it better. The weather here just hit 80 degrees and I can't wait to hit the coast in the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Green Bus !
1979westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Bob! Haven't seen you on the forum for a while. Glad you are using the nice season to enjoy the bus. There is nothing quite like it.
So, what are the "other" cars you own?

Welcome back to the realm of the bipeds,
Eric
SBS member Smile

1979 Deluxe Campmobile (quickly rusting away)
33K miles when bought, now at 61K
Proud Member #2 SBS (Stock Bus Society)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Back in the Saddle: The Simple Joy of a Bus Road Trip Reply with quote

Bob D. wrote:

After sitting five months in storage the bus started with TWO SECONDS of cranking and idled perfectly. These are truly unique vehicles that will reward you with miles of fun driving if you get them up to snuff and keep them that way.
Very Happy

That's my favorite part of spring, seeing how quickly it bursts into song.
Miles of fun driving done and yet to come. Glad the rehab is proceeding apace.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Back in the Saddle: The Simple Joy of a Bus Road Trip Reply with quote

Quote:
From Ratwell:" The weather here just hit 80 degrees and I can't wait to hit the coast in the bus.

Yup, that sounds just a little bit better than 39 degrees in Peoria! Very Happy You gotta go for that Richard!!

No matter where you are, bus season is starting. Crank 'em up and hit the road folks, remind yourself why you bought the thing....

Thanks too for all the good wishes, they are appreciated. I stopped at a Wal-Mart yesterday, and on the way out of the store an older gent held the door open for me. He and his wife then stared at me sympathetically as I walked out into the parking lot. I'm sure I made an interesting sight, a gimped-up guy in a fiberglass boot and wrist braces, limping towards an old VW bus.

I could almost hear them thinking, "What's that smile on his face? What the heck could he have to smile about?" Simple: I know that I should enjoy everything I can, while I can still enjoy it. Wink In a couple of days it's back to the reality of work, refereeing kid disputes and deciding which medication or operation to pursue next.

Suddenly a well-tuned bus, a full tank of gas and no particular destination sounds like it's worth an ocassional smile, doesn't it? Very Happy
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
rugrad92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to appreciate the simple things in life. Very Happy
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the land of the TRULY living!
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to have you back Bob. Hope all is well on your end!

dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: