Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to block fresh air to cabin?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

I have searched, but my google-fu didnt come through...

My 1990 Vanagon always has fresh air flowing through the center defrost or foot vents, even with the fan motor off.

Is this how it was designed to work? It seems that when the stock, rear a/c is blowing cold air that there should be a way to block the fresh air coming in the front of the van (kind of like the recirc or max setting on other cars a/c restricts fresh air input).

The vent air is not warm, i.e. it's not flowing through the heat exchanger, it's just fresh air flowing through the center vents (defrost and/or foot) with the passenger and driver's side vents closed.

Thanks for any insights, ideas and suggestions.[/u]

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

Check this out.....
http://www.vanistan.com/Vanistan/other_accessories.html

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

^^^ Thanks! That appears to be an improvement over the duct tape solution that crossed my mind.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

Back Duct Tape, Sew up a piece of sunbrella and velcro it to the intake, cut a piece of plastic , plexiglass, and using the same screen screws holes attach it to the opening.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

I used marine vinyl I already had in stock:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It doesn't block the air 100%, but airflow is greatly reduced.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

Is there any noticeable reduction in noise after this mod?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Is there any noticeable reduction in noise after this mod?

YES Exclamation
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

If the seals in your heater box are good and you leave the vent open to the rear that will relieve the pressure from the box eliminating the leakage and accompanying noise.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Sew up a piece of sunbrella and velcro it to the intake, cut a piece of plastic , plexiglass, and using the same screen screws holes attach it to the opening.

Those are improvements over my duct tape and also not $225!

Thanks.

Also, it occurs to me that using duct tape on this duct may actually be an appropriate use of duct tape on a Vanagon...kinda sorta. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
I used marine vinyl I already had in stock:

It doesn't block the air 100%, but airflow is greatly reduced.

I think leaving a small bit of airflow may be preferable. I'm just not crazy about allowing in as much warm air as is currently allowed.

Thanks!

Abscate wrote:

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

I rebuilt my Air Box to be able to shut off the "Ram Air" if desired and recirculate the cabin air.

It was a little involved but works great!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605822&highlight=

As a bonus I'll be plumbing in "In Dash A/C" at some point.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=638024&highlight=

Or, get out your duct tape........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

I told you my google-fu was broken! Thanks for 5 pages of helpfulness!

Abscate wrote:

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to block fresh air to cabin? Reply with quote

You'll find out that less in the summer is the best for avoiding heat coming into the cabin.

Duct Tape is about the easiest, if you want to be creative , built yourself something, just make sure it's as airtight as you can get it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: