Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Source For Armrests?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

Hello,

I hope that I am using this forum correctly in asking this type of a question. Please correct me if I am not supposed to post a question on how to obtain a part.

I am restoring my 1967 21 window bus and am on the hunt for the correct armrests in platinum. I need three of the ones that attach to the sides of the bus, as well as the one that is on my 2/3 middle seat. My present armrests are cracked and not of a quality that are worth using on my bus once it is restored. I have spoken with both Wolfsburg West and West Coast Metric and they say that they are no longer making the armrests in platinum color. Just wondering if any of you either know of a source to get these, or possibly have some sitting on a shelf collecting dust somewhere.

I found mention on this forum of Bill Webner at Der Wagonwerks as the guy to go to for interior restoration. I hope that this is still the recommendation as I am having him put together a quote as we speak. Please let me know if there is a better recommendation. He said that he could possibly paint the cream side armrests, but the one on the seat is not available to his knowledge. Any suggestions?

Thank you for taking the time to respond and do let me know if I am abusing the forum by asking these questions.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

Folks here really do read the WTB (wanted to buy) ads. Often, it's a way to trade with someone as well.

As far as new, one more try- call West Coast Classic Restoration.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

Admin says:
It is ok to ask if someone knows where to purchase a specific part, especially if you believe someone sells the item but you do not know the source.

If something is worded as a specific wanted ad only, it is almost always removed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

This info is about a year and a half old. The guy making the repo arm rests that TIM sold passed away at that time. I heard there were plans for someone else to step in.

WW has the grey in stock. I don't pay attention anymore though so these other 2 colors may be back in production?

Just noticed, WW calls out one of these at Platinum. You need to call them and find out if they can get more. Then come back and tell us the answer if you appreciate the help. If it is not platinum then buy the grey and have it dye'd your color.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=221867171C
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=221867171CCG
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=241867171CPL
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

West Coast Classic Restorations still has them listed on their website , no price listed.
http://www.classicvws.com/eric-1.htm

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

The new grey ones or good used ones can be painted. The middle armrests are not available new.

You could also contact Clara for an interior quote.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1238904
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

Thank you for the help. Great suggestions, most of which I have already explored. Yes, I spoke with Wolfsburg West, and TMI and they said that would get them from West Coast Metric and as far as they knew, were no longer made in that color.

I then did speak with Steve at West Coast Metric and he said that there is little to no demand on most of the interior parts that they make for restoring buses of my era, so they have no plans of making more than what they have now in terms of colors. He said it is a supply and demand type of thing and that the newer buses are where he now sees the largest demand. In his words "most of the 67's and earlier have been found and done and any that are out there are far and few between." I completely get that as we all need to make a living. He also suggested taking a lighter color and staining it as he suggested that the color stains are better now and seem to work for more than a few months.

Yest I also have a call into West Coast Classics. Their statement was that they just recover the newer ones. I asked about the actual picture on their website as it is the platinum and clearly is not recovered and she told me that they are investigating it and will get back to me. That is when I made my post to the forum.

I will now check with Clara, as that is one that I have not yet discovered. I will keep you posted if you are interested.

Thank you for the brain trust help!!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

I cant tell if he is selling the middle seat arm rest of the 3 on the seat. Is this the color you need?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1928776
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

what about a self made middle seat armrest.
Not the nicest solution, I know. But better than no arm rest.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

55samba wrote:
I cant tell if he is selling the middle seat arm rest of the 3 on the seat. Is this the color you need?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1928776

I read that ad as selling the 3 arm rests on the seat.

The middle seat arm rest there is made by someone too so he may sell those as well or know of a source for both.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

OK,

In case anyone else needs this info in the future, I am giving an update on my research into obtaining the armrests that are as close to original as possible for a 1967 Bus.

After speaking with Wolfsburg West, West Coast Metrics, SewFine Interior Products, West Coast Classic Restoration, Volks61conv (Classified TheSamba listing), and Bill Webner at Der Wagonwerks, I have come to several conclusions. Oh, no response as of yet from Clara (suggested earlier, TheSamba classified listing). Here are my findings:

First, the side armrests are no longer made in all the original interior colors. And as you know, the middle seat armrest is "Unobtanium." The side armrests that are available (again not in all colors) are made by West Coast Metrics who supplies them for WW, WCCR, SFIP, & DW. Most of the other companies stated that they just cover the armrests in the interior seat material. Bill Webner said that a vinyl dye can be used to simply change the color of the available side armrests to match whatever color you want. Vinyl dyes are basically spray paints for vinyl that chemically bond to the vinyl and are really well made today. Much better than the ones in the past that would wear off of the vinyl after a few months. To me this is more desirable as it keeps things original.

Second, since I actually still have my middle seat armrest, but there is a small crack in the vinyl, I found an automotive vinyl repair service who can repair the split and then the color can be matched to the side armrests with the same dye. This part was also a no-brainer, as it uses the original part, keeping my bus more original. Bill agreed with this suggestion, whereas all the other sources listed above said they would recover them, as "that is what everybody does." To me repairing and dying is the best route for those of us who want to keep the vehicle as close to original as possible.

I do admit that a recovered one will look nicer than what VW actually had there in the first place as the original ones are pretty insignificant looking and a re-covered one can look very fancy with really nice seams. But, since my intention is to restore my bus to as close to original as possible, it makes sense to me to use the original parts wherever possible. And as many of you probably already know, in 1967 VW said, "hey lets change many of the little details just for this particular year to really drive all the droolies crazy." Now I know that they really did not say that, but I have already found several things unique to the '67 and I am just getting started.

Anyway, I hope that my OCD research will benefit other people who are really trying to keep things original. Or maybe they will find out a better alternative. Either way, knowledge is helpful.

Scott
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

RCTScott wrote:
Oh, no response as of yet from Clara (suggested earlier, TheSamba classified listing).

Clara is at the Bulli Brigade & bugjam this weekend - you can find her there or expect a response on Monday.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

Find a local upholstery shop and have them recover you original ones in the color you want. the original cracked ones are more valuable than any repop ones you might find in the long run.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Any Source For Armrests? Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
The new grey ones or good used ones can be painted. The middle armrests are not available new.

You could also contact Clara for an interior quote.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1238904

I hope you did not take the above to mean I make armrests. I don't make armrests.
I make interior panels for commercial buses and also upholstered panels for microbuses. That's what Greg was talking about.

I recommend people use the new armrests or their used armrests. Paint them if needed. There used to be new ones available in more colors. Now there aren't. You can also buy used ones; I saw a set of three for sale at Bulli Brigade over the weekend. Check out swap meets if there is a show.

There is a very large range of items repro'd for split buses. Amazing range. I keep finding out more stuff is made new! However, not everything is so some times you have to find original parts. Some repros are of better quality that others. Part of restoring an old bus is finding the pieces. You can't just swipe your credit card and order everything off Amazon. I'm amazed at how much is available new compared to back in the day, but sometimes you need to search the classifieds on this site. Wanted ads work!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: