Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lightweight material for cabinet building?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Lightweight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

VW/Westfalia used wood from some South African tree for their camper cabinets because it's light weight. Hard to get at Home Depot Smile

What wood is recommended for cabinet building? What is the "aluminum" of wood? Thanks for any input.

-Rob
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

I used this stuff for yachts and airplane cabinetry.
http://www.plyveneer.com/plycorr.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

Ollie W wrote:
I used this stuff for yachts and airplane cabinetry.
http://www.plyveneer.com/plycorr.html

Do you buy plain sheets with exposed edges and then band them with solid wood to the finish piece size? Or do you buy the finished sizes with finished edge treatments and laminates directly from the mfr? Their website isn't clear.

Any place in Portland that resells or do you take delivery from the mfr in Eugene? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

I used to get it from a wholesaler when I had commercial accounts. You could try Crosscut Lumber or Disdero? Shoot, that was 15 years ago, you might be able to get it on Amazon now?

As far as using it, I always cut it as a panel and edged it with solid wood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Light weight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

somebody had thrown out a piece of really lightweight plywood at my warehouse and I asked the woodworker there what it was and he called it "light ply".
google searched the word and got these results:
https://www.google.com/#q=light+plywood
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Light weight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

Rob: Try your local supplier of materials for the cabinet-building industry. Google "formica" and the name of your town or the closest larger town. Here in BC, a Canadian chain called "P.J. White Hardwoods Ltd." is the place to go. Home Depot will not likely have what you are looking for.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

Marine okoume plywood is about the lightest thing you can find. Its pretty spendy, but its also pretty strong so you can get away with using thinner which makes it even lighter.
I used it on a truck bed buildout and it ended up very light and waterproof.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/finnishbirch.php

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

Think about a way to use 1/4" Luan Plywood. It's way strong. My 18 year old FourWheel Camper uses that for sliding doors on the 1/2" lightweight plywood cabinets. I'd think that using a 3/4 x 3/4 strip of fir in the corners you could use the Luan plywood to make a pretty strong cabinet if you screwed and glued it together. It's available at Lowes or Home Depot.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

There are building techniques for lightweight cabinet construction. One I used for a Chuck box called "skin and bones" keeps things very light using standard materials.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

you want to use hexcell, which is what is used for the partitions (think bathroom bulkhead) ini passenger aircraft

Aircraft spruce or use google

I have a panel from a friend at Boing Boing and it is very light

you can do some dumpster diving at selected locations to get it cheap
kalavinka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

For the best off the shelf option I would recommend Baltic Birch Plywood also called Russian Ply by some suppliers. It comes in 5'x5' sheets and thicknesses are metric but pretty close to 1/8", 3/8", 1/4" etc...
This is a display cabinet I made several years ago using flight case hardware and I think 1/8" Baltic Birch Ply. It was tough! About 5' in height and width.
Hope this helps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

End grain balsa with hardwood veneer or thin lamination of fiberglass is both very light and very stiff.
http://www.airexbaltekbanova.com/products/banova/banovareg-ply-ilo.html
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

geodude wrote:
End grain balsa with hardwood veneer or thin lamination of fiberglass is both very light and very stiff.
http://www.airexbaltekbanova.com/products/banova/banovareg-ply-ilo.html

data sheet lists densities of ~~ 250 kg/m3 - a lot more than hexcell materials (maybe 5x as much, depending) but roughly half that of regular plywood

Like the man said: "light weight costs money -- how light do you want to be?"
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightweight material for cabinet building? Reply with quote

In addition to the balance between strength and weight, I need to strike a balance between a lightweight material and cost Smile

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm hoping for something I can find locally, in a landlocked city with no big-league marine supply stores.

For the curious, as I am, it is my understanding Westfalia used White Limba wood from South Africa for their cabinets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminalia_superba

-Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: