Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
akchap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

After struggling to find a perfect light bar and brackets for a Westfalia. I finally stumbled across a photo of a great setup but somehow I lost it in my research and never could find it again. Months later, after searching everyday at work I found a bracket and a light bar that matched my dreams. I was looking for something cheap that didn't cover up the logo or the windshield, and would be easy to install(would of been better if I could get my wife to help).

The very inexpensive light bar is made by "Eyourlife". Just a quick amazon search away with $99 in hand.
I got the 52" but a 54" will be a better fit with these brackets.

The bracket mount is American made by CPTS Fabrication in Greenville, MI. I purchased it off ebay for $34.98. Just search for 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 50" LED Light Bar Mounting Bracket Kit. The cool thing is they come primed and ready to be painted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by akchap on Thu May 26, 2016 4:25 am; edited 4 times in total
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1990 Westfalia Reply with quote

That's a cool setup. I like the way you used the gutters to mount it and that might be an idea I'll borrow. But I was thinking of mounting along the top forward edge of the luggage rack (above the Westfalia logo) Did you try it up there? Will the curve of the light bar follow the curve of the leading edge of the luggage rack? Also, can you explain how you wired it up and provide more detail on your hardware?
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

Looks familiar. Ive been loving mine for over a year. I didnt get the $99 deal but feel the additional lighting on back roads saves an insurance deductable when the Elk and Deer jump out in the road. They are great for spoting those with tents to set up in tbe middle of the nighh too Wink
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

akchap wrote:

Just search for 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 50" LED Light Bar Mounting Bracket Kit.

Great solution for avoiding drilling for a light bar installation! Curious about your statement that a 54" light would fit better. If you were 2 inches off, how did you make it work? I also noticed that the same mount is available in 52". Based on your installation experience, would a 50", 52" or 54" curved light bar fit the best on your Westy?

Thanks for sharing!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

How is that set up working as far as wind noise and fuel economy at highway speeds? I like the size and shape of it, but would want to think about either above and a little back of the leading edge of the luggage rack or down low over the bumper. I'd be curious to know how you feel about it after a few road trips.

Hans
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

I'm curious on this too, as I'd be leaning to mounting it between the grills.

after reading this post/review of roof mounted lightbar
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/1584...-light-bar
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

I have the the same question too but will there be any glare even though van dont have a hood?? Also i think it depend what kind of light you have on the top. I assume spot light would not be a problem compare to fog light. I have

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

My results:

The upper 52 curved bar looks cool and I now fit in with the Bo-Doh Dodge guys, but its output ( even though wattage and lumens are listed higher than my 20" lower bar) isn't much brighter than the lower 20" bar mounted on the hoop.

It does not cast any over beam onto the windshield

It does whistle at 35-50mph

When ran independent of the lower bar it has a nice spread beam, but If I did it again I would only run the lower mounted bar and not hassle with the " I'm headed to the Zombie apocalypse" unit up top as the lower one does such a great job on its own. We will never out drive these lights in vanagons
akchap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:
akchap wrote:

Just search for 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 50" LED Light Bar Mounting Bracket Kit.

Great solution for avoiding drilling for a light bar installation! Curious about your statement that a 54" light would fit better. If you were 2 inches off, how did you make it work? I also noticed that the same mount is available in 52". Based on your installation experience, would a 50", 52" or 54" curved light bar fit the best on your Westy?

Thanks for sharing!

The light bar was close to an inch off on both sides to have a perfect fit with the 50" mounts. That why I believe the 54" bar would work the best with the 50" mount. The 52" straight bar mount is just a piece of straight metal compared to the 50" mount which has a little bend in it. I do really like the 52" light bar with this mount.
akchap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
How is that set up working as far as wind noise and fuel economy at highway speeds? I like the size and shape of it, but would want to think about either above and a little back of the leading edge of the luggage rack or down low over the bumper. I'd be curious to know how you feel about it after a few road trips.

Hans

The noise isnt that bad.... Westy are already pretty loud but there was a thread about putting a garage door seal in the fins of the light bar to stop the wind noise. I will try that soon.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

Did you consider putting it under the front bumper? I was wondering what the light pattern is...... Think
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

I have had this bar mounted for a couple of years. At first it was mounted further forward and lower. Glare on the windshield was not good. So I moved it up and back. It also seemed to take away some of the wind noise. This bar has performed well and has saved me a couple times from animal crossings on deserted desert roads.

The lower LED is pointed down to fill light at the ground level. It works great for seeing the terrain and choosing the correct line when off road.

All of my lighting has been switched over to LED, except for the high beams that are still Xenon 50w.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

Hey Jael,

Would you mind sharing your setup? Looks like it femurs great. Is that a 52” bat? Curved or flat? And what mounting brackets did you use. I really appreciate any feedback.
michael 617
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

akchap wrote:
After struggling to find a perfect light bar and brackets for a Westfalia. I finally stumbled across a photo of a great setup but somehow I lost it in my research and never could find it again. Months later, after searching everyday at work I found a bracket and a light bar that matched my dreams. I was looking for something cheap that didn't cover up the logo or the windshield, and would be easy to install(would of been better if I could get my wife to help).

The very inexpensive light bar is made by "Eyourlife". Just a quick amazon search away with $99 in hand.

The bracket mount is American made by CPTS Fabrication in Greenville, MI. I purchased it off ebay for $34.98. Just search for 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 50" LED Light Bar Mounting Bracket Kit. The cool thing is they come primed and ready to be painted.

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 52" Curved Light Bar 1980-1991 Westfalia Reply with quote

mods: ^fake account
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: