Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85.5 Stroker Pistons???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

thats a lot of weight hanging off those long head studs holding everything togeather.....be a good guy and retorque the lower head studs tomarow please.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

WOW! Time flies even when you're NOT having fun! Shocked

Anyway, the 1800 stroker is going away in this bus. I suggested a TriMil header with a set of 40 Webers and boy, it really brought some serious life to it! It fires right up and holds idle within a minute! It's going to be one very happy bus! Razz

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also did get the 1700 stroker built and it's currently running in the Plump Truck like a champ! Cool
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Naw, better sleeper would be a gutted oil bath with a gauze element inside, would also let you run the factory preheat for nice warmup performance and all that jazz...

Looks good though.

I do have a stock air cleaner but this "new" carb came to me with this one which is a K&N. At least it is the only thing that isn't stock looking and it is performing awesome! Bug just loves to cruise 75-80 on the freeway at some 3500 to 3800 rpm and if I punch it quickly jumps to 90+!!! Razz

Got the carb off another motor and just threw it in it, so I don't know what kind of jetting it has. However, guessing is fairly big because at least the oil runs very cool! At speed the "head temp" runs around 350 but that's because I have the sender right at the exhaust flange on #3. Cool
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Naw, better sleeper would be a gutted oil bath with a gauze element inside, would also let you run the factory preheat for nice warmup performance and all that jazz...

Looks good though.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Howard 111 wrote:
Where are those pictures you promised us? We like pictures! Very Happy

This is all I have on the process, the clearing since that's the only difference insofar as building an engine is concerned.

The look is a total sleeper! Razz

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

I think the hpmx will add a lot more mpg and smiles. also for other guys contemplating build like this there are lots of mfr's using the 22 mm pin side with diferent pin hights, and many diferent bore sizes too. all you have to do is look.you may even find some that are just big enough to use in some old cylinders that need over sizing/replacing. many combos can be achieved if you only use a little brain power. Wink ..well it might take a little more than just brain power.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

I like pix too, but with a "crew" consisting of me, myself and I, it's hard to stop mid project for picture taking. In any case, it looks totally stock. The only difference is the 78 crank. Confused

On this next build I shall try to snap some of the clearance, though it should be a lot less of it being a 74 crank. Cool
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Where are those pictures you promised us? We like pictures! Very Happy
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Be a man about it. Lick your finger, listen for a sizzle, suppress the scream.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

One of those laser temp shooters are good for checking for dead holes....A poorboy way to do it is with your kid's water gun or a spray bottle. Fire at each header tube coming out of the head and the water will instantly vaporize, unless you have a problem.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Feed them both with Kadrons or IDF's and it will be even better!

I'm pretty happy with the Bug "as is" since it's performing great and gives awesome mileage. The Dormy and the Plump Truck both average 14 mpg. Neutral

The Plump Truck does run a pair of Dellortos so that will certainly improve on power! Cool
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Feed them both with Kadrons or IDF's and it will be even better!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Round 2... Been a couple of months since driving the Bug, many reasons for that but just got it running again yesterday. Scored me a stock carb and even with the pea shooters this thing has some really quick pick up!!! Shocked

Loving it so much that after taking the Bug's tired engine apart, have now decided to stroke it too! This time a 74 brand new crank. Just ordered the 85.5 stroker jugs and 5.5 rods. Prolly still use the 100 cam on it. Thinking to throw it in the Plump Truck which is driving good but lacking in power. Think
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Update: Been running the little stroker on the Bug and it does have great power! Having issues with idling when cold but it most likely has to do with the old carb. Aside from that, cruising at say 70-75 mph and stomping on the pedal, it jumps very quickly to 85!!! It likes it and so do I!!! Razz

I have to take apart the Dormy's engine before Havafew in a couple of weeks. I think I should take this little stroker, put the Dellortos on it and install it in the Dormy just to see how it does! Think
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

look for vacume leeks...like dirty stripes on the carpet Shocked .there are a few things that can cause your issue. but I dont mess with the hollywebbler progressive stuff.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

FWIW, I did check temps while on the test stand. Though there was difference between them at the pipes, the head temps just at the port exits were within 20 or so degrees from each other. Once I got it to idle and run for a while, I threw it into the Bug. That was pretty much all the time I had to deal with it last night and even with its issues it took me to work (13 miles) just fine with plenty of power, though I didn't "push it" all the way. Work in progress. At least it isn't leaking oil... yet! Razz
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

fire it up for a few seconds(20) and turn it off then feal the header pipes carfuly to find the cool one ans that will tell you where to be looking for an issue.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
a "special bus grind" cam which I have yet to measure

It's the same as an "RV" cam from the 70's. Good thing it's not a 3/4 race cam.

Got it from Bill May many moons ago. I threw it in an 1835 also put together with used parts, which of course was short lived as the case started coming apart. But it was a screamer!!! It would squeal the tall tires on the Plump Truck with ease! Mucho power! Razz

I'll try to get this motor to run better, as in smooth. It's pretty much a "test bed". If it does perform as I think it should, I will build a similar one properly with new parts and such. As I said, I already have a brand new 76 or 78 crank. With these pistons and maybe a mild cam, it may be a better choice of engines for the Bug. Plus if it's torqy enough, it may double as a emergency replacement for the Dormy! Cool
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
a "special bus grind" cam which I have yet to measure

It's the same as an "RV" cam from the 70's. Good thing it's not a 3/4 race cam.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 85.5 Stroker Pistons??? Reply with quote

Okay, thanks all for the feedback/info! Smile

Finally did get it all together and fired up! Got the the stroker pistons and also went with the 5.5" rods which went to zero deck, 0.040" shims took care of that. Stock dual port heads pulled from a dead motor but looking almost like new, a "special bus grind" cam which I have yet to measure, and fed by a Holley (by Weber) progressive carb which was running fine on the Bug's 1600. Also running a 009 distributor on points. Had a hard time getting it to idle and has an intermittent "miss". Took off the carb, blew off all ports and jets, replaced the used plugs with another set of used plugs and at least got it to idle, tough rough. After some tweeking, installed it in the Bug. Cool

It was too late for a test drive but drove it to work today and it ran well. Still with a bit of a miss and does need quite some time to warm up before idle sets. The bottom end was put together with used parts from my pile and of course the oil pressure drops after it warms up. Now, the reason I put this one together was as a spare motor to keep the Bug running while I rebuild its 1600. I do have another 76 or 78 crank which I may use on that rebuild if this set up works out. Think

Anyway, will prolly do a tune up, swap distributors, adjust, ect. to see if I can make it run/idle smoothly but so far so good. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: