Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The mossyest bus contest.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Ha!!! I love the chia-bus reference. And yes, Frodo called and wants his bus back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

wet_bread wrote:
Bernie supporters have better things to do than wash their cars. Things like care about the happiness and well-being of other humans and shit like that. You know, stupid stuff like "not starving" and "not dying" of trivial shit.

You're right man, washing your car is more important.
W

Interesting "logic." I guess some groups of people are not capable of prioritization or multi-tasking.

That being said, the Bus on the right is quite "mossy" on the roof although this is the only photo I have of it. From Cambria.

The owner kind of irritated me because I pointed out that he was essentially letting his Bus be destroyed and he looked at me and said he didn't really care.

My Bus is on the left.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Please lock this political bs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Please lock this political bs.

Its over... unless someone starts it up again.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...ht=moss%2A

To those that made the ultimate sacrifice!
Tcash
Elrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Some good contenders, but I think mine still is the winner of the mossyest bay contest. Some of you may be happy to see I've removed the offending sticker and spent some time with the pressure washer this morning. I haven't really washed it yet but it looks a lot more presentable and is probably about 10 lbs lighter than before I started. What do you think?

Someone commented on the smell of the camper, not sure why moss on the rood would make the inside smell? Smells just fine inside and out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Looks good! But you know what they say: "A rolling bus gathers no moss".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Elrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Funny thing about moss, it takes about 13 yrs to get it started. but once it starts it gowns pretty fast as long you keep out of the sun. Luckily, I parked facing S. with some trees in the parting strip offering afternoon shade. My advice is don't give up after the first 10 yrs, just stay the course and the moss will come in.

Before:

24 hrs later:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Not too bad, but it is gonna be really hard to beat the buses from the wet side of the cascades...

nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

A google search, I found some on pinterest and bustopia that have those beat.

[img]
http://www.bustopia.com/Images/vw-junkyard43c.jpg[/img]

Elrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

cdennisg - Great pic, what model is that, way too big to be a sunroof? Almost looks like a camper van that lost it's top.

I suspect my best moss competition is going to be from some place like Eugene, OR or maybe Vancouver/Victoria BC, my neighbors or maybe some plush big treed area from Seattle or Portland but those kind of folks wash their cars.

Original rules is the bus needs to be a driver, so those forest finds don't count. Nice examples non the less.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Didn't know it had to be a driver. When I took that pic it wasn't yet driveable, but a few weeks later it did an 800 mile round trip to a show in Lacey, WA. Looked like this after cleaning and a mechanical resto...

When it came home...

Elrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

cdennisg, what's the deal with the roof of your bus?

Yes, the moss criteria is quite strict. Has to be a daily driver, that's why I think I should win. It's so against the grain of an enthusiast site.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Just a stock bus roof. The first photo shows it halfway through scrubbing the black mold/lichen off.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything in your original post that says the bus need to be a driver to qualify.
Elrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

cdennisg - on your first picture of your bus that shows it with 1/2 cleaned you can plainly see the outline of the original cutout of the Westphalia pop top. Why is that there? It's too big to be sliding top.

About the rules, I thought is was implied since mine was a year round daily driver that the contestants would be also.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Any bus has those stamped lines in the roof, one all the way around and a stripe across the middle over the dome light.
Peek under the front and rear of your Westfalia, you'll see some of them on it too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

^^^ Yep.
Elrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Busdaddy - I didn't know that. For some reason I thought the standard top was seamless. I stand corrected, but do the earlier busses have those seams?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Just met a guy last month who rolled on pink house paint thick, and is purposely missing up his bus. I'll text him and get a pic. 73 riviera...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The mossyest bus contest. Reply with quote

Elrick wrote:
Busdaddy - I didn't know that. For some reason I thought the standard top was seamless. I stand corrected, but do the earlier busses have those seams?

Only 68 and up, splitties are smooth on top.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: