Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Check to see if fuel is coming out of your fuel pump. Do you have the outlet and inlet on the correct barbs?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

I think so. Top in. Bottom out to carb. New pump has an arrow on the top.

But I'll check tonight by running briefly with fuel line off of the carb.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Also, if no fuel comes out the spout--and you're positive it's the outlet, check that you have the proper-length fuel pump pushrod.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Yes, that's on my list for tonight. Cool

I think it is right. But I did order one short and one long push rod. Because it's a 3-5 day trip for UPS to from CA.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Looking at your pic you got alternator with alt fuel pump so us the short rod
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Hmmmm. So this is odd.

I ordered THIS from JBugs:
113127025G FUEL PUMP, TYPE 1 73-74 ALTERNATOR
This description is right from the invoice

Online it is THIS:
http://www.jbugs.com/product/113127025G.html
VW Fuel Pump for use with Alternator, Beetle, Super Beetle 1973-1974
This Fuel Pump has a flange the sticks out past the mount. Requires the use of the Shorter Pump Drive Rod #113127307A (99MM Length) or the rod will not fit flush with flange.

But what I received and installed does NOT look like this photo. It looks exactly like THIS "generator" version:

http://www.jbugs.com/product/113127025B.html
VW Fuel Pump, Long Rod Style (superceded to 11312702D)
Part Number: 113127025B
Generator Style Fuel Pump.
This Fuel Pump has a recessed flange located inside the mount. Must Use Longer Fuel Pump Drive Rod #113127307 (110MM Length) for the rod to contact the internal flange.

I do understand the difference in the drive rods.
FUEL PUMP DRIVE ROD, LONG, 108MM/4.25 GENERATOR
FUEL PUMP DRIVE ROD, SHORT, 99MM/3 7/8 ALTERNATOR

I did correctly identify the pump as having a flange that is flush with the base (maybe it extends a few mm but is clearly a "generator style" base.

I did use the long 108mm rod. I compared the short rod....it wasn't even remotely long enough to contact the base.

So it seems that they sent me the wrong fuel pump. Sad But I used the correct rod.

Only problem is that I'm running a "generator style" fuel pump with an engine with an alternator.

Does this make sense?

ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Sorry for all the bold. Looks like I'm yelling.

I'm not. Just trying to get it all straight in my head. Brick wall Brick wall
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

makes total sense. At some point someone in the aftermarket started making tilted fuel pumps that look like the alternator type but in fact take the generator rod. really the best way to tell is whether or not the actuating lever comes down below the flange of the pump or not. I forget which is which, I wanna say the alternator type is the one that sticks out some.
This has likely confused many-a-folk.
Just use the rod and pump that work together.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

ToughBug wrote:

...but while he gets fuel at least to the filter next to the transmission the engine didn't come alive yet.

ToughBug wrote:

Runs when I put gas down the carb.
Not sure if gas is getting into the float chamber....

If you have air in the fuel line (on the suction side of the pump), the pump may not be able to pump anything (ask someone who has run a bug out of gas). Remove your air cleaner and have an assistant place the palm of one hand over the carb (blocking the airflow) while you crank the starter with the throttle wide open. After a few seconds, the assistant should lift his/her hand for a second to allow oxygen in. They should continue alternately covering and uncovering the carb while you continue cranking. Usually by the time you've been cranking for about 10 or 15 seconds it will roar to life (let off the throttle at that point, and the assistant should stop covering the carb). Replace the air cleaner.

Best of luck,
Kris
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

The post above shows a retangular box with a blue question mark? What is that? Did the photo fail?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

I see the image. It says, "It's Alive!"

ToughBug, are you serious? Is the problem resolved?

-Kris
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

That was my Young Frankenstein "It's Alive!" picture.

Last night I went through the procedure to reset the carb, then went to bed. This evening I came home, figured why not give it one more try.

And this beautiful sound - and a cloud of foul gases - filled the garage.

Just ran straight away!

Ran it for a few minutes.

And spent the evening getting things ready for a test drive this weekend - torquing everything one more time. Bleeding the brakes (lost pressure over the past year). Setting up the front suspension with some sort of reasonable alignment.

A bunch of other things to do.

But I think we'll go for a little drive around the neighborhood this weekend.

Very Happy Dancing Smile

Thanks everyone.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Congrats! That is awesome! Applause
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

That is such a great feeling, getting a motor to start after almost throwing in the towel! Been through that more times than I care to think about!

Good job!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

How was the drive? Wink
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
Congrats! That is awesome! Applause

Ditto!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

ToughBug wrote:
Last night I went through the procedure to reset the carb, then went to bed. This evening I came home, figured why not give it one more try.

And this beautiful sound - and a cloud of foul gases - filled the garage.

Just ran straight away!

Sometimes it just takes a bit for the gas to get to the carburetor. There are lots of tricks for getting air out of the line, including the one mentioned above, but I think the easiest one is to just fill the tank full of gas. In a Beetle, the top of the fuel tank sits a little higher than the top of the fuel pump, so gravity will do most of the work for you. In fact, if you park nose-up on a hill, the tank can sit even higher than the carburetor and the weight of the fuel is sometimes enough to overpower the needle valve and flood the engine (unless steps are taken to prevent this). It's possible that just letting the car sit for a while gave the gas enough time to creep into the fuel pump, and from there it was just a matter of suck, pop and blow.

Good job, man. And good luck on your maiden voyage!
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Did to rounds of brake bleeding. And set up the alignment. Torqued everything once last time.

Did a few trips around the neighborhood - nice and slow.

It was GREAT!!!! Very Happy Everyone was out cheering. Neighbors who have been watching the garage for four years were coming out and jumping up and down.

Had to make some adjustments after each loop. The left valve cover wasn't quite seated correctly - my fault from when I replaced it after the valve job. Left a nice oil trail. Fixed that. Easy. Brake got kinda soft. Found a slow leak in the "T" where the rear wheel lines separate - way way under the car. Fixed that too.

Engine just ran so strong. Man, that was fun. I have some video - gotta figure out how to post it, maybe cut it down a bit first.

There was a problem, of course. After about 10 minutes of driving - in short stretches, with lots of checking things - the car lost power.

Coming down a very slight hill it lost power whenever the engine was under a load. It idled fine. It revs great. But put it into first and it starts to stall out. It got worse over the span of one minute. I stopped and walked a block to get my gas can, thinking I just ran out of gas. Got back in and it started right up - as always, like brand new - but any sort of load would stall it out. Limped home a few blocks taking it in and out of first gear.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. And now a new mystery.

Figured I'd start by adjusting the jets. But after a few minutes nothing I did with the jets made any difference to how the engine was running. So, that's seems like a clue. Anyway, gotta be the carb, right?

Also, I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know how to get it into reverse. The shifting and clutch is so easy and smooth. But man, I can not get it into reverse. Probably something simple I'm missing.

Had a total blast. And discovered a dozen new little things to work on.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Well dang. That's like getting to the crest of a roller coaster and it breaking down before the drop. Can you recap again your carb and distributor setup and how it's timed? Best of luck. You've been through a lot. Hang in there.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: