Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Here are some quick photos from this morning. Keep in mind that I'm still cleaning up the engine bay - no use wrapping everything up nicely quite yet.f
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Other random things: fuel filter is under car near transmission, as recommended. All leaks fixed, except maybe super slow one from oil screen area under engine - Just watching, probably no problem.

Really was strong for a few 5 minute rides. Then stalling under load. Idling great. Revs good. Starts every time.

Thinking: clogged fuel filter, timing suddenly off? Clog in jets?
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Gotta cover that alt terminal, I know. Haven't found a cap yet.
sleeper bird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Dont know how you pulled that wrap off with all the curves but that looks pretty damn good from the pics
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

That. was. Tough. And hardly perfect. But a nice experiment. So many curves!

Thanks!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

ToughBug wrote:
Other random things: fuel filter is under car near transmission, as recommended. All leaks fixed, except maybe super slow one from oil screen area under engine - Just watching, probably no problem.

Really was strong for a few 5 minute rides. Then stalling under load. Idling great. Revs good. Starts every time.

Thinking: clogged fuel filter, timing suddenly off? Clog in jets?

So, if I understand correctly. Car is running fine first five minutes or so, then blahhhhhhhh. No more zest! Right?

So, on start up choke is closed causing a rich mixture. As engine warms up, choke slowly opens, about 5 minutes in total for warm up, give or take a few minutes. Sounds like a vacuum leak or an incorrect fuel float level. Clogged fuel supply, clogged air filter, restricted needle valve, gunk in the carb bowl, bad intake boots, poor end casting gaskets. Just a few of several things off the cuff.

When it starts losing power, can you pull over and pull the accelerator arm and reproduce the issue. If so, try spraying a shot of carb cleaner into the carb, indirectly, not straight down the throat. Should pick up if it is lean or there are vacuum leaks. You can also spray small blasts of carb cleaner at the intake manifold to find vacuum leaks. i.e. at the boots and head to end casting area.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

OK, a frustrating day in the garage.

Gears 1-4 are GREAT. But no reverse.

Tried adjusting the shift plate about a dozen times. No luck.

Plate is in correctly. Long "ramp" up and to the right. Short tab up and to the left.

Removed the lock out plate entirely. Still no reverse.

I am depressing the stick. Originally it depresses about 1/2 and inch. If I loosen the bolts of course I can depress it further, about an inch.

Once today I *thought* I found the reverse slot. But now I can't get it into 3rd or 4th at all. With or without the shift plate.

I'm watching the shift rod at the coupling in back. Before 1-4 worked great but no turning counterclockwise for reverse. Now no rotation of the shift rod at all. Only forward and back for gears 1 and 2.

I'm about to uncouple the shift rod from the transmission entirely to see if the shift rod is hung up on something? bent? Would the shift rod / bushing problem ever prevent a rotating movement? That seems unlikely to me.

I am not running the engine, I'm just shifting with the clutch down to find the positions and see the shift rod operate the transmission properly.

Too bad. Last weekend I was driving in all four forward gears and it was awesome. Then I got greedy, wanting reverse too...
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

PS - if I put my fingers or a screw driver in the shift rob socket I cn't move it at all. Maybe that is a clue.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

OK. Went back out to the garage after a break.

disconnected the shift rod. It moves freely in all directions and rotates as it should. It's smooth so even the bushing seems good.

hook it back up to the transmission and it only moves forward and back - no rotation so I can't move into 3rd or 4th, or reverse.

I went under the car and tightened the clutch cable, just to make sure. Now the clutch engages high on the pedal so there is no chance it isn't engaged.

I'm out of ideas...
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

OK. better news. I put vice grips on the shift rod back under the rear seat. And with the shifter and some help from the vice grips I can go through all gears - even reverse.

A few runs through the gears this way seemed to loosen up the transmission.

Now with some force I can get through all gears just with the shifter.

Not easy or smooth yet. But progress.

Took to for a drive for a block or two. And was able to reverse out of the driveway. I'm counting this as progress. But I'm not sure exactly what I did.

Oh, changed the fuel filter today and that seemed to help the engine. There was grit in the old one. Probably from the resealed tank.

(PS - I checked in with Roy today. Just an email to ask for his thoughts. He got back within an hour on a Saturday - that's pretty great. Didn't expect that. We'll talk Monday. I think this is an adjustment issue on my end of things. Hoping that I'll get it all figured out tomorrow - which is family beetle work day around here.)

Got the wipers working today. Installing a $45 bluetooth speaker set with speaker phone, and a recharging port. The cabin is so small it's going to be plenty loud.

Still can't believe RustyBug runs. Just set up an appointment for an enhanced inspection later this month.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

All lights and electronics work!!!

Problems were grounds and tail light bulb connections. Took 4 hours and a helper to diagnose everything.

But we have fans, wipers, high and low beams....

Yipee!
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Oh. Expect no turn signal flashers, hazards, or horn. Well, unravel the conundrum to get the enigma. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: