Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Looking good! I did my whole pan in Master Series products, and used the Silver primer under all the body work. So what makes your car a 73/74 hybrid? I started with a 74 Super, but went back to the 73 solid bumper mounts front and rear, so mine is also a bit of a 73/74 hybrid! Do you still have any of the old first body left? Reason I ask is I put a new spare tire tub in the front of mine, but it didn't come with any of the covers for the four access holes in the bottom, and finding them is proving to be impossible!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Mine is a hybrid because the original 73 body was a disaster. I gave up after a year or so and found a 74 body in better shape. Sure hope they fit together!
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

So..........

The wheels are back on!!!!! Smile

Body got third coat of paint. All cables replaced except for speedo.

I'm preparing to put the body back on.

I'm a bit worried I'm going to find something I missed and have to take it off again. I need to bench bleed the master cylinder and replace it and mate the pedal push for to the cylinder. Have to put the rubber sealing down. And probably should reinstall the transmission.

What else am I likely to forget?????
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

ToughBug wrote:
So..........

What else am I likely to forget?????

Those phenolic heater tubes that install into the lower rear cross brace sections. They go in from the engine side and have to clear the torsion tubes.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Hi everyone. A milestone this weekend as the body went back on the chassis. First time in two years and I'd started to forget what the bug looked like.

The fenders etc are on just to check the stance. Front is a bit low already, so adjustable struts need to be, er, adjusted.

I need to do more wet sanding to smooth out imperfections and do the clear coat.

Thinking about the wheels and tires. Then back to the mechanical stuff underneath.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Looks good.

Have fun with that sun roof. The new seals are are bitch.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

So.....group decision.....we feel we can do better on the paint. Actually, we're going to do vinyl wrapping instead. nice to know that with two coats of Master Series Silver and 2 or 3 coats of AG111 Red we probably won't see rust for a while. But the paint looks spotty and there's lots of lint in it. It'd be fine for a "fun" car, with astro-turf carpeting, and a don't care attitude. But family says for the amount of work I've put into it I should be happier with the final product. Nice of 'em. Stay tuned.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

*$^#(!**%&#?!!!!!

Vinyl wrap is some crazy combination of fun and frustrating. And all the curves on the bug make it slow going. Anticipate 20 hours with two people. But looks good so far.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

pics?
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Photos over in the paint / body forum.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Photos over in the paint / body forum.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

So much progress. So much more to do.

Half of car now vinyl wrapped. Anxious to be done with that.

Putting in 10 hour days on the car, just pushing to make headway while I can.

ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Progress. Vinyl wrapping continues. Dash coming along. Wiring harness installed - except I can't seem to get it through the death foam in the back. Silver inside is soundproofing.

ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Been working on he car a lot. Tired. Headliner going in now, interesting with the sunroof. Sound proofed. Dash coming along. Got the new wiring harness through the death foam. Even put the hardware back in the engine cover - including the VW emblem. Yeah!

Headliner progress held up for lack of hanging rod holder things. Wish big expensive kits including the little $0.10 pieces that make the whole thing work. Ugh.

Why don't ________ come with _______.
Master cylinders, full set of plugs needed to bench bleed them.
Sunroof headliner kits, rod hangers
Speedo cable, little rubber plug for backing plate
Full pedal cluster, roller wheel for accelerator (or accelerator pedal, or spring?)
Gear kit for removing rear castle nuts, chart of torque conversions

Anyway. Carpets next.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Headliner done. Except for the sunroof hole. Kinda regretting getting a sunroof....that's not gonna be fun to rebuild. Vinyl wrap almost done. Window seals are a total pain in the ass. Got them from a shop years ago and they are pretty hard - no feeling in my fingers and no seals on any windows yet. Tried heating them briefly in the oven on warm - desperate times. They were almost too warm to handle. And they became as flexible and stretchy as warm rocks. I'd have better luck melting the glass. Is it bad that the UPS driver yells out "Hey Tom, more bug parts!" every time he leaves a package??

Between the Windows, door kits, and sunroof it looks like a fun month. One job at a time. I'm looking for an easy project to work on when I need to feel like I'm making progress - master cylinder install and bleeding might be it.

Ugh.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

You got this. Keep at it. Slow and steady.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

A little progress between semesters.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Man that wrap has got to be such a pita. Nice work Wink
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

I like your hard work you have done and don't want to say anything bad. However, if I were you, I would have tried to wet sand that paint smooth before applying the vinyl wrap. You can see the imperfections through the wrap. Granted you can always take the wrap off, but to me you covered up the messy paint and now have a messy wrap job Sad

Hope it works out for you and that you are satisfied with it because in the end, that is what matters and not what some person on the internet thinks.
ToughBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: ToughBug Update: Rock bottom and now things go back together Reply with quote

Thanks. It was a pita. I'm bracing for the window mechanisms and sunroof next. I understand they're chores too.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: