Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project 67
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Turn the shock over. Put the cylinders at the top instead of at the bottom. Then check for clearance!

If adjusters cause the arm angle to create contact of the shock to the arm, then going over uneven ground will do the same without adjusters. Whether there are adjusters or not, the wheel travel will still be exactly the same. The ball joints set that travel. Adjusters may affect the static ride height. Not the travel or the shock body clearance.

How is he going to do that? the shocks are stem tops with bushing bottom mounts.

Derrrr..... I suppose I was looking at that front end in your pic OldSchool5er and thinking of link pin style double eye mount shocks instead of ball joint pin mount tops.

I went to the SNORE Battle @ Primm race last week and had not logged in here since. That's why it took so long for me to respond.

oldschool5er wrote:
Adjusters are not the problem in causing the arm to touch the shock you are right as the stock Thing travel will cause it when unloading which is why hard stops should be put in.

The Thing beam does not need adjusters as there is enough lift at the spindle, But he already has them and he has no idea how much they were rotated by the guy that welded them in. If he keeps them and they can not be adjusted down to stock position because they were rotated too far he is better off fixing it back to stock twist so he can get correct droop.

As a side note you will find some failure on adjusters if it is researched They are used so much on everything, but good quality ones have to be put in. There are incidences of even Sway A Way failing and causing a collapse. I use them just like everybody else on Link and some T1 ball joint front ends. but if you don't have to why do it?

I have had trouble with Sway-A-Way adjusters in recent years. Instead of using 1/2" fine thread hardware, somebody was going for smaller and less expensive 12mm coarse threads that are far weaker. I've had customers who snapped some of those and stripped some others. I found the issue when I was doing some repairs on a couple of beams and had oredered parts from Sway-A-Way. they had directed me to a dealer as they would no longer sell to one diong as little volume as I was. So when I specified the brand and they came to me with the smaller threads, I called and they told me that was what came from Sway-A-Way. So I called Sway-A-Way and talked to Brain Skipper, the owner. He looked into it and sent me the correct pieces and told me he had ordered all of the undersize ones to be replaced at their warehouse and at the dealers as well.

But if Brian's not there all the time, and he's of retirement age, things just might happen again and cheaper hardware like EMPI uses get substituted.

NOTE offroad people...Front adjusters SHOULD HAVE 1/2-20 thread hardware!!!
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Yeah I wasn't paying attention Richard and thought he had adjusters but if I had read back I would have seen he didn't have them, but the beam had been cut and turned quite a bit by the looks of it. Thats good to know about the Sway a Way adjusters as I had always trusted them, hopefully when he retires it won't leave a vacuum as they have always been my go too. I am glad you passed that along so people can look out for old stock. Mark Anderson at Gonzo racing has had two failures in the last few years at the B1k and I respect his build so that had made me even more cautious using adjusters if not really needed. Brians younger than me even, maybe he will find it hard to leave the Biz lol.. as you know very well it kind of sticks to your bones lol.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

I have a lot of respect for Brain Skipper. I 1st met him when he was a top engine builder. Then later when he had bought Sway-A-Way, his little brother Tim co-drove my race car and quadruple endoed it. Got the nick name "Flipper Skipper" on my nickle. Embarassed Shocked Rolling Eyes Cool

But us old farts gotta retire sooner or later. I've been retired for 3 years now.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Well Ive been getting after some of the rust and I ordered some panels that already got here, but as we all know you start digging into rust there is always more than what you can see so this happened

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I figured it would be pointless to weld a bunch of panels right next to a rusty spot that I couldnt get to with the body on and if its alreaddy this far apart why not go the extra mile Laughing
I built the frame to hold it up and it doesnt look like it but its very solid and i screwed it to the wall, last thing I need is it to fall onto my motorcycle Embarassed

I ordered the panels from CIP1 and two of them were klokkerholm and the other is unknown and ive heard good things and bad about klokkerholm but as long as it has the basic shape im not worried about it

In typical Colorado fashion yesterday it was 60+ and now its 12 and snowing Laughing

Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Also all of the pan bolts came out without snapping... Is this normal or should I go break one off? Laughing Laughing
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

I tore into the passenger A pillar this weekend and got that wrapped up, but not without bumping my settings on the welder and spending 3 hours getting frustrated and blowing holes through it d'oh! Ended up cutting some of it back out and fixing it after I figured that out

The A pillar panel I ordered fit something awful on the bottom but I was able to modify it to work aaaannnd the klokkercrap front wheel house area panel I ordered needed some serious hammering to get it to fit Rolling Eyes
From now on i'll just stick to making my own panels

My welding is getting better and i'm getting better at the stitch welding not as good as quite a few people here but i'm happy with it so far

Since I had taken care of the rust in the front I moved to the luggage shelf/wheel well area where there was another patch over rust like the front wheel well. So I cut all that out and made a few panels and welded it all up

And ground down

Once I get the body back on ill make a new body mount.

Also out of curiosity when your'e welding and you run out of places to attach your ground what do you guys do? I just welded a small tab to an area I already welded and broke it off when I was done Laughing

Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Finished up the passenger side wheel well today and im happy with how it turned out because I can feel im getting closer to being done with rust repair haha anyway heres some pictures

On to the next side Rolling Eyes
joseluis17g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Looking good
Keep up the good work!
83 Jeep CJ7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Nice work. Doing much the same in the same spots. Thanks for some ideas.
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Thanks joseluis17g and plotch!!

Started on the drivers side which was worse than the passenger side so I was putting it off. First off cut into it....

That was rather stressful as it just kept going Shocked
The repair panel I ordered fit like crap all over so I chopped it up quite a bit to make it work and tacked it into place

Partially tacked in

and all the way welded along the seam

I took my time and waited until it cooled all the way down and I did have some warpage but this is the worst of it so I'm pleased

Also knocked out some of the the bottom portion before calling it a day

I can't wait to be done with welding sheet metal Laughing
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

I hope my welds look like yours one day. I am not jealous of the opportunities you have found to practice (lol), but the skills you have look awesome to me. Nice work!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

You are getting a lot done on this thing. You asked about running out of ground for welding. If you have an air sander or something you can just sand the paint off another part of the car as long as there isn't an insulator it will work out just fine.
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Thanks Buggeee! Iv'e checked out your build(s) my first car was an orange 71 Super and I wish it was in as good of shape as yours at least rust wise haha mine was like your minions bug but much worse Shocked

Bock, Im trying to haha my goal is to drive it to the Bug-In we have here at the end of July as it will be the first time in 8 years I can attend the show because of my National Guard commitments
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Not much of an update, but progress is progress right?
Wanted to replicate the other side and make it some what look factory but with the panel I had the piece I made went over instead of under but it came out just fine

Also saw someone talk about the flap wheels for angle grinders to knockdown welds and those things are awesome!
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Still working on the bug but didnt get squat done this weekend with the holiday. Last week I did finish off blocking the heater channels and the drivers side rear quarter and luggage tray(forgot to take a picture of the quarter)

Started on the passenger heater channel as thats pretty rusted out
First out with the bad

Weld in the new

And grind it down

You can see that I did put it back on the pan for now and its given me some serious motivation to get this rolling

20valve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Great job! Here’s my 67 I’ve been building. My wife and I are going to be driving this to Colorado from Alabama this summer.
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

20valve wrote:
Great job! Here’s my 67 I’ve been building. My wife and I are going to be driving this to Colorado from Alabama this summer.

Please start your own thread on this beauty with a bunch of pics!
20valve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
20valve wrote:

Please start your own thread on this beauty with a bunch of pics!

I need to. I’m just not one to post on forums. But I’ll try and get a thread together.
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Shocked 20valve that thing is SWEET!! You'll have to bring that to the Denver Bug In on the 29th of July so I can check it out!
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Project 67 Reply with quote

Well I won at craigslist today when I found a rolling chassis from a 69 that has almost everything I need to convert to IRS!! the best part was it was FREE Cool
It came with an extra drum to drum beam but the passenger side is bent so i'm not sure how usable that side is but I will have a ton of spare parts after I get what I need so if someone is needing something i'll keep the free train rolling if you come pick it up! The only part that sucks is there is no title or i'd fix the pans and swap it in haha

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: