Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I do it?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 19 ]
No
34%
 34%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 29

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

BUT its a cool van, what the heck else is so cool (other than a splittie?) you just have to be ready to "go at it". With luck .... not all at once. If the interior is nice, all the door latches work etc, fans, windows good it could be fun to restore. I like it when a guy or gal who's notafraidofit joins the forum. And either way, thrifty, workin' hard for funds -or "all moneybags" too, we've got both kinds. As long as vans are being rebuilt and the attitude is good!

I have a friend here in Jersey, has had a splittie for a long time.
He decided to getbit redone, stripoed bare and rebuilt.

It is almost done and he now realizes that he has a $100,000 + Samba Van.

His wife wants to resume the old days in it, hop in and GO!!

He is consumed with worry about traveling in a vehicle worth that much, of going to a Hotel and parking it outside unwatched all night. He says that he wouldn't relax and sleep.

Yes, He may have one of the coolest Vans ever, but he's too terrified now to actually use it and enjoy it as he used to do.

Cool is a double edged sword.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

it will cost about $15k to buy a Westy or Weekender and fix it to work properly - either pay that up front or pay that over time

at the $5k level you would be buying a tintop, not a poptop of any sort

a highly knowledgeable buyer can do a lot better, assuming the have extensive DIY skills and a LOT of time to work on it - djkeev is retired - are you?
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
it will cost about $15k to buy a Westy or Weekender and fix it to work properly - either pay that up front or pay that over time

at the $5k level you would be buying a tintop, not a poptop of any sort

a highly knowledgeable buyer can do a lot better, assuming the have extensive DIY skills and a LOT of time to work on it - djkeev is retired - are you?

I should clarify, definitely buying a tintop, not a poptop. Am I in the wrong place for regular old Vanagons, or is this place only for the Westy crowd?

I apologize if I made it sounds like I was getting a Westy. Definitely not the case.

Just double checked my messages... more like 267k miles, which is a few less than 300k, but still a hefty load.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

you are in the right place - just a bit unclear on what you were after

many use a tintop for camping - just buy a good helmet
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
you are in the right place - just a bit unclear on what you were after

many use a tintop for camping - just buy a good helmet

LOL! Sorry the confusion. Looking for a good "light" camper. Definitely see the value in the pop-top...but for me, a van with a z-bed will satisfy the itch for a while.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:

I should clarify, definitely buying a tintop, not a poptop. Am I in the wrong place for regular old Vanagons, or is this place only for the Westy crowd?

I apologize if I made it sounds like I was getting a Westy. Definitely not the case.

Just double checked my messages... more like 267k miles, which is a few less than 300k, but still a hefty load.

I have both a tintop and a westy weekender (pop top, but no stove or fridge.) I have to say, from my point of view a westy is overrated. Yeah, it's nice to be able to stand up inside to change your clothes, and if you have kids in your life the upper bunk is cool, but for me it's largely a dead storage area. The yakima rack and skybox on my tintop essentially serves the same purpose, I just have to go outside to get to my gear. Actually, the tintop kinda forces me to be more organized and I find myself sorting/moving less gear around when I camp in the tintop vs. the westy. I definitely prefer the larger bed in the tintop. With dog and girlfriend, the westy can be more cramped. The extra wiggle room is nice. Tintops are far better value when it comes to initial purchase. And if later on you find that your family needs more space, you could do a westy or hi-top conversion.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

Successful happy vanagon owners come in two varieties. They either have deep pockets to pay to keep them on the road or they have greasy fingers from doing it themselves. If you have the inclination to read and learn about how to take care of the van, access to the basic tools needed and the discipline to stay on top of maintenance, then you will be fine.

good luck in your search and welcome to the insanity!

Hans
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

Lots of good advice to weed through here. I bet that if you ask every new van owner how the first year of ownership went, you would find some common themes.

-It will break down. Is this your daily driver? Can you walk to work?

-You will fall in love with it. Your disposable income is now devoted to your van. Maintenance, break downs, or upgrades. We have all done it. We are still there.

-It will drive your wife mad. Wrenching in the driveway and the obsession with this forum and upgrades will cause some grief. It is worth it

-If you are not currently mechanically savey, don't worry. VW has been making mechanics out of owners for many many years.

I am sure I can think of more but I need to go work on my van......

-Chad
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
pnw_ski_vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you should get it, a tin-top is excellent for camping, just figure out storage while you're camping, it's amazing how quick it gets cluttered with 2 people. Laughing

I bought myself a tin-top carat about a year ago, 255k on the odometer, but paperwork documenting a rebuild around 200k, did all the safety things, fuel lines, brake lines, oil change, pads, etc., currently in process revamping the cooling system, soon to do the clutch and transmission fluid. The in-laws were visiting this last weekend, brother-in-law was helping me and ended up leaving exclaiming he'll never buy a VW Rolling Eyes , I told him literally no car I've worked on has ever fit tools in to fix things perfectly. Just comes with experience. Laughing
IMO, unless you want to be able to stand up inside, a pop-top isn't necessary, it's heavy in an already underpowered beast, kids can be put in a side awning tent, or build character and make them sleep in a real tent. Very Happy

Sounds like you have the experience and enjoy the wrenching, no reason why you shouldn't own one of these, they really are stellar for camping. I was thoroughly discouraged the first few times I posted on here about reliability, cost, etc. With a tin-top, for 15k, you could just about get one, and drop a 1.8t in. It's all relative for what a 'decent rig' is. Just make sure you do your own work, people who specialize in fixing VWs charge an arm and a leg.

My plan with mine, is to continue driving it until it's engine explodes, see where I'm at financially, and go from there.

Quote:
If you are not currently mechanically savey, don't worry. VW has been making mechanics out of owners for many many years.

THIS ^. I used to work on cars a little bit before I got mine, now I'm doing the clutch. I wouldn't have seen myself even considering this 5 years ago.

91 Tornado Red Carat
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

gotta do it. Gotta love it though. Gotta commit unless you're gonna go big bucks on a completely cherry finished one. Open your mind and open your wallet!

Don't be afraid to ask questions and post your concerns and 99% of the members here are super great to help and help and help.

When i bought my second syncro i hadn't changed so much as a fan belt. When i did that I was pumped. this past week i installed my new transmission, a new starter then uninstalled it all because i forgot to put on a throw out bearing, then reinstalled it (it took me about 10 hours to get it off the first time - about 1.5 the second) then bled the clutch, bled the coolant, broke my shifter off, had it welded, reinstalled it, adjusted my shift linkage and then went camping on Sunday afternoon with the wife and kids 100 miles away!

And on the way home, up 4th of July pass, my gas pedal slammed to the floor and my rpms went to idle. While i freaked out initially, i pulled over on I-90, uphill, blind curve and calmly fixed what i thought was wrong - and I was right! The throttle cable wiggled out of the throttle housing. Piece of Cake.

Bottom line - if you commit, it'll bring you tons of pleasure. With each problem you solve your confidence will improve and you'll love your van more and more.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
christopherlayton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to the forum! I'm local, and in the middle of a suspension rebuild on my Westy. If you want to come by and poke around (the van!), let me know. My experience so far is similar to most here; it takes a fair amount of money and time to keep these vans on the road, but they're great fun. My family prefers the van to our Subaru (what can I say, we're local) for any trip. While there's lots of vanagons in and passing through Hood River, there is also a vibrant community of Vanagon owners out of Portland who have been really helpful.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

Again, thanks for all of the advice and input.

What do you guys think a VW mechanic in the Portland/Vancouver area will try to charge me to take a look at the van before bringing it home?

christopherlayton wrote:
Hi, welcome to the forum! I'm local, and in the middle of a suspension rebuild on my Westy. If you want to come by and poke around (the van!), let me know. My experience so far is similar to most here; it takes a fair amount of money and time to keep these vans on the road, but they're great fun. My family prefers the van to our Subaru (what can I say, we're local) for any trip. While there's lots of vanagons in and passing through Hood River, there is also a vibrant community of Vanagon owners out of Portland who have been really helpful.

Right on! I was sure I'd see another from the Hood on here.

For those interested, here's a video walkthrough of the van in question. It's about an hour from me so the guy was kind enough to send this before I drive over there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIR72Wf8Vc

It's in about the condition I expected it to be. Seats could use some love. Drivers side window needs some work. All door panels are there, just not installed. Windshield has a crack (pricey?). Exhaust looks a bit rusty.

See anything else of major concern right off the bat?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

AKWesty wrote:
Lots of good advice to weed through here. I bet that if you ask every new van owner how the first year of ownership went, you would find some common themes.

-It will break down. Is this your daily driver? Can you walk to work?

-You will fall in love with it. Your disposable income is now devoted to your van. Maintenance, break downs, or upgrades. We have all done it. We are still there.

-It will drive your wife mad. Wrenching in the driveway and the obsession with this forum and upgrades will cause some grief. It is worth it

-If you are not currently mechanically savey, don't worry. VW has been making mechanics out of owners for many many years.

I am sure I can think of more but I need to go work on my van......

-Chad

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Spot on X3!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

For many years when someone would admire my van and ask about getting one I would talk up the virtues & delights of this great machine.

Eventually I accepted this is not for everyone and enthusiasm is not the same as commitment. I no longer offer such encouragement.

A famous pianist (I think it was Rubenstein) said people often remarked 'I would give anything to be able to play like you'. He assured them they probably would not. Admirers saw only the result - not the years of hard work, sacrifice, daily practice etc that made that result possible.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

Surprised it's only 8 - 5 on the poll....but I imagine you guys see a lot of people pop up on here who aren't right for the vehicle. I feel like I am...but only time will tell I suppose.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:

For those interested, here's a video walkthrough of the van in question. It's about an hour from me so the guy was kind enough to send this before I drive over there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIR72Wf8Vc

It's in about the condition I expected it to be. Seats could use some love. Drivers side window needs some work. All door panels are there, just not installed. Windshield has a crack (pricey?). Exhaust looks a bit rusty.

See anything else of major concern right off the bat?

The Capri Blue '85 GL. I had the exact same van except manual transmission. Some people don't see a lot of value in this model, but I very much have a soft spot for them. If you can get it dirt cheap, $2k would go a very long way towards making it a runner.

I post this photo every time somebody mentions the '85 GL:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
... The van I am looking at is a 1986 Vanagon with an automatic trans and around 300k miles on it. The transmission was rebuilt, but not sure how long ago. ...

AT 300k miles the engine has probably been rebuilt once. If so, it might be due for another rebuild soon. If not, it might need a rebuild now. It will probably need extensive suspension and steering work also. With a two year old child, a tintop will be ok for a few years. If you plan on keeping the van for longer, you might want to consider a poptop weekender and have a place for the youngster to sleep upstairs. Possibly there will be another one on the way by then. I bought a poptop for my use because I like to standup in the morning to put my pants on. In the rainy PNW the ability to standup would be a definite comfort factor. Poptop weekenders are few and far between, but they offer more room, comfort, weigh less, and have less potential for rust behind the galley.

I like the look of the round headlights, but the 2.1 engine is an upgrade. If the present engine needs a rebuild, you might consider a Subaru engine to replace it, but research your state vehicle inspection laws first. If you do need to replace the engine and choose to stay VW, beware of several shoddy builders with low price tags. I used a Vanagon for a daily driver for about two years and then I had to buy a $3000 Nissan when the Vanagon became unreliable and difficult to diagnose. I got the Vanagon reliable again, but drive the Nissan when it rains in an attempt to delay rusting the Vanagon.

I would want to pay the money to buy a vehicle that is in better condition and needs less work. What is the asking price on the Vanagon you're looking at?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnw_ski_vanagoneer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

It really comes down to how much you are willing to spend on one of these. IMO, they aren't necessarily more expensive than any other VW of their age to own. BUT, many of them have not been taken care of up to VW standard maintenance expectations, which is where expenses come in. Since mine was well maintained, I've really probably only put about 1-1.5k into it.

It doesn't really matter what everyone's opinion on here is on this. Someone who said go for it, could be a retired, trust fund baby, who enjoys wrenching/paying someone to do the work and in return they get their hippie nostalgia and easy camping. ( I promise I have no one in mind when I say this Laughing ). If YOU feel it will fit into your life, go for it.

A short story from my slightly younger years: I bought a Vanagon living in Hawaii, from a local (they have somewhat of a reputation for screwing over us mainlanders, which I was unaware of at the time.) I bought it for $1800 knowing nothing other than it needed a new power steering pump. Within the first month, I was easily 3k into repairs (clutch, wheel bearings, fuel tank reseal, ball joints, shocks etc.), realizing the extent of it's paint covering rust issues, etc., it was still a great surfboard hauler. I sold it when I moved to Washington, and a year or so after getting up here, I bought a different one, well taken care of and I've still put a fair amount of money into it, but it's a much more relaxed pace with me doing all of the work.

I have always dreamed of making it into a family road-trip/camping vehicle, but I realized a few weeks ago that I'm not sure I'd ever trust something this old with my wife and baby, over long distance. Although I'm on the fence about it, I can't justify my feeling, neither of my vans have ever let me down in a major way before, but it is stressful to notice an oil leak the day you're leaving on a 2.5 hour road trip, filling up at the gas station and having the vent lines leak, and then hope you make it without seizing the engine/bursting into flames Laughing I did meet some excellent ex-VW mechanics who happened to have the exact size of fuel line I was looking for on my way and did some campsite repairs that night.

I had originally bought it prior to new baby, for a leave after work, camp at the trail head, get an early start without all the driving type of vehicle, along with ski resort camping. I am now unfortunately weighing my options.

So you need to ask yourself, will you feel comfortable with the financial investment and time getting it up to snuff for doing what you want to in it? If yes, then go for it.

91 Tornado Red Carat
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

pnw_ski_vanagoneer wrote:
... I bought a Vanagon living in Hawaii, from a local (they have somewhat of a reputation for screwing over us mainlanders ...

Keep Hawaii green, bring money.

Aloha
tp
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: New guy - newbie question.... Should I buy one? Reply with quote

So is it my understanding everyone on this thread is a vanagon enthusiast ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: