Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Bus Turn Signal Install
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: 63 Bus Turn Signal Install Reply with quote

I am in the process of putting together my 63 after a full restoration and fresh painting. I am installing the front turn signals and am not quite sure how they go on. I don't want to scratch the paint in the process however it seems as though to properly do this it may require some finesse. Does anyone have any suggestions and photos for this install? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank Samba Community!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Bus Turn Signal Install Reply with quote

I can advise the process very easily as long as the parts you are using are OEM or Wolfsburg West- and you have a fried egg bus. Make sure the cutouts and the screw anchor holes are clean. The reflectors go in first- and they are ambidextrous. The fried egg lenses have a very obvious right and left. The WW units are very good- just like OEM Hella. They "ride up" over the reflectors and the two anchors attach to the reflector. There is a slight concave curve as the nose of the bus curves upward above each headlight housing. The nose skin then re-curves into the convex profile of the rest of the bus nose. This "s" shaped, twisted profile determines which reflector belongs on the left and right. These will be obvious when you hold each one up to each hole- with the screw holes parallel to the ground. Good luck- now I hope you don't have one of the last bullet buses... Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Bus Turn Signal Install Reply with quote

Quickest picture I could find
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You push the base in on one side around the nose metal and screw it down on the other.
I don't think you will scratch anything.
If you did it it be around the mounting area and the larger lens will hide it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alex1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Bus Turn Signal Install Reply with quote

I'm in the process of adding my lights back on to my bus as well and I'm pretty much a complete newbie to all this.

Thanks for the help on the reinstall but I was needing to know how to ground it. I noticed in the wiring diagram for my '66 it has the ground going to the corresponding side's headlight ground... Or can I just attach it to the inside body on the back? Is it enough of a ground that the metal body of the of the turn signal is attached to the body or do I need to run a wire to ground? If so, where and to where?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Follow me on Instagram, where I post a lot of bus progress. https://www.instagram.com/quietlyscheming/

===============================
“Don't be a dick.” --Wheaton's Law, Wil Wheaton

Last edited by Alex1976 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Bus Turn Signal Install Reply with quote

You really do not need a ground wire. At worse with fresh paint you may need to sand clean a spot where the bulb holder clamps to. Add a dab of grease or dielectric grease to the bare metal to avoid oxygen and moisture to get there and cause corrosion which can limit or cut off voltage flow.

On the other hand headlights do need a grounds wire to be reliable. Our DEC60 walk thru panel camper conversion did not have them and we added them in to improve. Our DEC62 single cab had headlight ground wires from the factory.

Since you have a 66 it should have the factory headlight ground wires. Do make sure the grounding points of the ground wires are clean and greased.
Alex1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Bus Turn Signal Install Reply with quote

Awesome, thank you!

Both turn signals make good contact with bar metal so I won't do anything additional to ground them.

The headlights have a factory ground wire, so I'll continue to use them. Thanks again. Smile

Follow me on Instagram, where I post a lot of bus progress. https://www.instagram.com/quietlyscheming/

===============================
“Don't be a dick.” --Wheaton's Law, Wil Wheaton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Bus Turn Signal Install Reply with quote

Glad to help!

Adding ground wires (soldered is best to the bulb holders) to each of the taillights to the battery ground cable grounding point is a must. VW finally did that at the factory in 1970.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: