Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

seat spring boing!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

I am going out of my skull here....

so, when I did my bus like the good do it right 'merican I am, I sand blasted all my frames

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had to switch some springs out as some were cracked. I surgically removed some from a donor seat and put them all back, re crimped all of the retainers and have been plagued with 1 spring that for whatever reason tends to walk and give the next spring over a kiss.

it's driving me batshit crazy. anyone else have this issue? what's the fix? I am thinking of taking the whole flippin seat back apart and try a couple of different springs on that row. I know, it's petty, but that is my biggest problem at the moment....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

Just spitballing skills. Could the springs from the donor be bit fatigued or vise versa causing it to be flimsy?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

Gary would probably use safety wire on both sides to keep it in place.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

I dealt with a squeaker in an otherwise quiet bus last year; I feel your pain. Which seat? Do you know if the upholstery is reusable? My custom jobbies are sewn on so tight I'm not sure how the stock upholstery holds up to repeated installation attempts. (My driver's seat squeak was accessible with a pick with wheel bearing grease, and has been silent for five thousand miles. This was my hack attempt because I can't get my seat covers off cleanly.)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Just spitballing skills. Could the springs from the donor be bit fatigued or vise versa causing it to be flimsy?

I guess anything is possible. I stole the springs from the inner (aisle side) of a passenger seat. thought was they would be the least worn

asiab3 wrote:
I dealt with a squeaker in an otherwise quiet bus last year; I feel your pain. Which seat? Do you know if the upholstery is reusable? My custom jobbies are sewn on so tight I'm not sure how the stock upholstery holds up to repeated installation attempts. (My driver's seat squeak was accessible with a pick with wheel bearing grease, and has been silent for five thousand miles. This was my hack attempt because I can't get my seat covers off cleanly.)

Robbie

I don't know how much more the TMI covers can take. it's the drivers seat, so it's extra annoying.

TP, good idea. I can try it for sure. the problem is 2 coils are just barely touching. when they do, one goes over the top of the other one and give a sound much like racking a shotgun, with a cartoon BOING!

come to think of it, I almost wonder if I could figure a way to perhaps zip tie a thin sheet of plastic (like a cut open milk jug) so the springs slide past each other. I will try and post some photos of what I am dealing with

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
iratehippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

I've used chicken wire fence, for seat support. I've wired it down onto the seat springs. Put padding over and check for fit, etc. (small mesh/holes is good) peace

"Tune in, Turn On, Dropout", Idiots school of VW Philosophy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

... TP, good idea. I can try it for sure. the problem is 2 coils are just barely touching. when they do, one goes over the top of the other one and give a sound much like racking a shotgun, with a cartoon BOING!

come to think of it, I almost wonder if I could figure a way to perhaps zip tie a thin sheet of plastic (like a cut open milk jug) so the springs slide past each other. I will try and post some photos of what I am dealing with

I know that you can buy sheet teflon, but it is probably expensive and difficult to find. I think that the sheet plastic cutting board material would be a good solution.
http://www.kitchendance.com/flcush.html

This stuff should be available in any local kitchen-hardware store section.

Aloha
tp
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

[quote="skills@eurocarsplus]it's the drivers seat, so it's extra annoying.[/quote]

Maybe you could try this solution and drive from the middle seat?

Link

secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

Skills, have you tried a flatulent, lubricating shart, directly applied to the suspiciously sneaky squeaker of a spring?
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Skills, have you tried a flatulent, lubricating shart, directly applied to the suspiciously sneaky squeaker of a spring?

I have. I have also used anti monkey butt on super hot days to the point of having it turn into pancake batter and applying said batter to the offending spring.

the shart by far worked the best, but I couldn't take the fly's and maggots

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

... the shart by far worked the best, but I couldn't take the fly's and maggots

Yes the flies and maggots get itchy and it's hard to scratch when you are sitting down and driving.

What did you think of the plastic cutting board between the springs idea?

Aloha
tp
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

that may work. I will pop the seat out and see what I can do. it may be a bit too thick...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

that may work. I will pop the seat out and see what I can do. it may be a bit too thick...

The thin plastic cutting board/cutting sheet:
http://www.kitchendance.com/flcush.html
should be available in many stores

Aloha
tp
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

well, I have an embarrassing amount of time into this.....

turns out there was some spring migration....I think. long story short, I have a semi collapsed spring, and basically have coil bind Confused

sadly, I pitched my donor frame. so the short term solution was to go and side a couple pieces of foam in between the coils.

the real heartbreaker is that I will have to skin the seat back to the frame, which isn't a big deal BUT I don't think that the seat cover will survive it.

I do appreciate the ideas.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

Hey Skils, in the upholstery world when i build a spring seat base i tie the springs in place with jute cord using clove hitch knots. This achieves two things, it keeps the springs from walking around and sets their height. Essentially start on one side of the base with a knot and every time you cross a spring tie it with a clove hitch until you get to the other side . It will be impossible for any walking to occur.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

Hey Skils, in the upholstery world when i build a spring seat base i tie the springs in place with jute cord using clove hitch knots. This achieves two things, it keeps the springs from walking around and sets their height. Essentially start on one side of the base with a knot and every time you cross a spring tie it with a clove hitch until you get to the other side . It will be impossible for any walking to occur.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Brilliant! I've seen that done before and wondered about it's purpose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
alaskadan wrote:
Brilliant! I've seen that done before and wondered about it's purpose.

interesting.....

I would have figured the OE configuration to be adequate. it seems the spring simply collapsed as it's not coiled properly. I solved the noise for now, and will hunt down another seat frame for donor parts

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

I remember there being not only a lot of hog rings but also like sheet metal "extruded hog rings" holding the springs together. They can't move around when they're all holding each other together that way. It seems like that's what you're missing?
Some type 3 seats here showing some non standard double ended hog rings and the sheet metal ones
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: seat spring boing! Reply with quote

I have welded up broken seat springs . The best way is to get some upholstery Z springs which come in various lengths. Chop a section off the Z spring and overlap the break with the section. Weld it to the broken spring away from the break to avoid putting welds in the stressed position.

I also used the Z spring to totally replace some of the "folded" springs at the front of the seat. It can be bent quite readily and then holds its shape.

My passenger seat had totally collapsed and springs were poking through. The rebuild is holding up.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: