Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat belts in front
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.

For the sake of being a recent entry into the Thing world, and seat belts being a pretty important part of safety, how many Thing owners have kept their OE seat belt harness, and how many have changed to a more robust harness?
Regular 2 point harness (bought as is when new)
62%
 62%  [ 33 ]
3 Point harness or more
33%
 33%  [ 18 ]
4 point or more
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 53

Billyd64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Seat belts in front Reply with quote

The 74 Thing (Acapulco) I bought for my GF did not have any seat belts at all in it. I bought the front and rear seats from the ThingShop (that felt like Austin Powers giving an obvious plug, eh?) but they 1. did not come with the bolts and 2. I don't know where to bolt the front seat belts. I found the inner bolts holes on the trans tunnel, but do I have to bore a hole in the pan for the outer front seat holes? The pan seems rather shallow and I am loath to drill there for fear of rust, etc. Any ideas? There are the bolts where the roll cage is bolted just behind the front seats, but it seems an awkward place to bolt the seat belts. Any ideas? Thanks all. (BTW I DID a HEAVY search through the forums for this subject, only found bolt sizes which seemed to be ~ wrong, it seems...and yes I certainly agree with some other obvious pros here that we will probably end up going with minimum 3 point harness after I spend all this other money needlessly - heh Smile )
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have standard original belts. Still feels weird wearing them compared to my Passat. I almost feel naked.

My outer seatbelts bolt through the pan about an inch behind my rollbar. You may have a different rollbar. There should be a reinforced nut/washer there. Maybe your pans were replaced at one time and the new holes never put in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I had my choice I'd install 3 point retractables. That would require a redesign of the roll bar because you want the upper point to be higher and behind the occupant's shoulder.
Billyd64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
I have standard original belts. Still feels weird wearing them compared to my Passat. I almost feel naked.

My outer seatbelts bolt through the pan about an inch behind my rollbar. You may have a different rollbar. There should be a reinforced nut/washer there. Maybe your pans were replaced at one time and the new holes never put in.

If I had my choice I'd install 3 point retractables. That would require a redesign of the roll bar because you want the upper point to be higher and behind the occupant's shoulder.

OK Semper, that makes sense: Here is what I have and it looks similar (I stole the bolts out of that place behind the roll bar to fit the ones in the tunnel. I went everywhere today to try to find that size, guess I'm back to square one on finding the right size bolts).

Pictures are bad, sorry...from my cell.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a a lot of threads about upgrading seatbelts for the 181. 3, 4 and 5 point systems. You may want to file away this picture for future reference. Best example for a 3 point setup

Notice how the rollbar tilts back in order to get the upper mounting point higher and back than the occupant's shoulder. Very important or spinal compression injuries could occur.
Billyd64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
There a a lot of threads about upgrading seatbelts for the 181. 3, 4 and 5 point systems. You may want to file away this picture for future reference. Best example for a 3 point setup

Notice how the rollbar tilts back in order to get the upper mounting point higher and back than the occupant's shoulder. Very important or spinal compression injuries could occur.

Excellent reference point Semper Dad; as with all the rest of the good tech threads, this one is now filed! Thanks!
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back 20 or 30 years ago there was a fuss about how dangerous the seat slides were in a accident. How in a rear end or rear ending someone can create enough force to overcome the cogs holding the seat in adjustment.

I only mention this as I wonder how safe a 3 or 4 point seatbelt is with original seat brackets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add a word about after market retractable 3 point belts. All the sets I've seen need their retract section mounted perpendicular to the center line of the vehicle.
Otherwise the "Lock-up" mechanism won't work correctly.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
Back 20 or 30 years ago there was a fuss about how dangerous the seat slides were in a accident. How in a rear end or rear ending someone can create enough force to overcome the cogs holding the seat in adjustment.

Ralph Nader's book "Small on Safety" scared the bejezus out of me when I originally read it in the late 1970's. The high back seats I so enjoyed in the 71 Super Beetle the family owned were ejector seats in the event of a crash (cog failure allowed the backs to flop down onto the back seat and the person in the seat then slid under the seatbelt and out the rear window).

That hasn't stopped me from buying 2 1970's VW Things, one with high back seats. I figure if I'm hit hard enough for those high back seat cogs to fail on a Thing, it's likely that I'm already dead as it is.

Craig
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm preparing to tackle this exact issue. I will be doing 4 pnt belts at each seat. I too feel nekkid with judt a lap belt and my lil 'uns are too big now to sit in a car seat(with harness), SO.....
Ill add a crossbar to the roll bar, behind the front seats to attach front harnesses to, and either add another cross bar in the back(low pro to not interfere with cargo) Or reinforce the cargo floor and bolt the rears straight through. Ill be sketchin my ideas today after looking closer at these areas.
A buddy turned me onto a company called Autoloc seatbelts, a Lot of colors available and Aircraft, or push button latches. Very reasonable on the wallet too.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rollbar installed with a non-retract shoulder harness installed (through the rollbar for the shoulder).

I have the thing bottom seats with bug high-backs.

Is it perfect? No. You do what you can to mitigate risk

Drive it as defensively as a motorcycle.

Any more and it's time for a Land Rover.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigInPA wrote:

Ralph Nader's book "Small on Safety" scared the bejezus out of me when I originally read it in the late 1970's. ,,,,,

That hasn't stopped me from buying 2 1970's VW Things,,,,
Same here.
I liked what John Muir said in his book about driving a VW bus, to imagine being strapped to the front end like a Aztek sacrifice. Just about sums up all VW's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did, front and back. Works great. Wish I could have welded points on the roll cage but this should hold.

From CIP1 - on the back ones.

C45-3P-AF-PAIR - 3 POINT RETRACTABLE LAP/SHOULDER BELT W/CHROME VINTAGE STYLE BUCKLE (W/COLOR MATCHED RETRACTOR HOUSING

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C45-3P-AF-PAIR

From CIP 1 - Front ones

C16-111-707BK - RETRACTABLE 3 POINT BLACK SEAT BELT W/HARDWARE. O.E. QUALITY MADE IN THE USA

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-111-707BK

| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: seat belt bolts Reply with quote

all seat belt bolts are american fine thread i think 7/16 fine thread thanks brother for setting me straight i know that sounds wrong but all cars that i know of have american bolt threads on the seat belts i have seat beats from a street rod shop julianos they are great for a lap belt they are retractable and the work at a angle they are comfortable and they do lock if you brake hard they come in 6 colors if you order the mount kit they come with a big plate for mounting on the pan the inner belts mount on the stock mounts and they are 39.95 each they also have 3 point s for 99.95 each you can find them at julianos.com

Last edited by citroen on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:26 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7/16 fine tread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Thing set up with the reproduction 3-point non-retractable belts in the front. When I picked up the car, they were installed with a bolt through the top bar of the roll cage. I decided that this was very unsafe, as the cage would crack in a roll over (it needs all the help it can get being supported by the wimpy pans).

I welded the holes up and made a set of triple-shear 3/16in plate brackets lower down on the vertical bar, which appears to be much safer as far as roll cage integrity and belt arrangement are concerned. One day I'd like to do some major work to the cage, which would include the addition of a crossbar for better mounting and possibly 4-point belts.
Billyd64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: seat belt bolts Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
all seat belt bolts are american fine thread i think 7/16 fine thread thanks brother for setting me straight i know that sounds wrong but all cars that i know of have american bolt threads on the seat belts i have seat beats from a street rod shop julianos they are great for a lap belt they are retractable and the work at a angle they are comfortable and they do lock if you brake hard they come in 6 colors if you order the mount kit they come with a big plate for mounting on the pan the inner belts mount on the stock mounts and they are 39.95 each they also have 3 point s for 99.95 each you can find them at julianos.com

You are correct, they are 7/16 fine, tho it was hard to find the 7/16-20, I found some 7/16 x 1-1/2 that worked great.

Last edited by Billyd64 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billyd64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solomon Grundy wrote:
This is what I did, front and back. Works great. Wish I could have welded points on the roll cage but this should hold.

From CIP1 - on the back ones.

C45-3P-AF-PAIR - 3 POINT RETRACTABLE LAP/SHOULDER BELT W/CHROME VINTAGE STYLE BUCKLE (W/COLOR MATCHED RETRACTOR HOUSING

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C45-3P-AF-PAIR

From CIP 1 - Front ones

C16-111-707BK - RETRACTABLE 3 POINT BLACK SEAT BELT W/HARDWARE. O.E. QUALITY MADE IN THE USA

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-111-707BK

Very cool, and nicely done. I think that is what I had in mind.
dells68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought 4 of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...MEWNX%3AIT and installed them. The quality seems great and at $45 you can't beat it Very Happy
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the local pick and pull. I picked up seats and retractable seat belts. Price was great due to 1/2 price day Very Happy

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
Billyd64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solomon Grundy wrote:

Grundy, you have 2 things I like alot: Your name (Green Lantern/Superman thug) and your quote (Dr. Suess). Nice job, very nice job. A thinking man/woman/person. I also prefer Grendel to Beowulf. It's not about the under-dog, it's about preference and timing, I say.

What's the song say? "Superman never ever made any money, saving the world from Solomon Grundy..."

Peace.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: