Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Temps FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Still High Oil Temps, was "ROI: Oil Temp Gauge" Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
An engine in good shape will run fine at 75 without experiencing super high oil temps. When in heavy traffic I drive the speed everyone else is going and my engine doesn't see that high of oil or head temps. ]

Come here this week and try that. Hope you have AAA towing card.

Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1.5 hrs on the freeway loaded with shit. didn't break 197* ambient in the low 90's

yes but my engine doesn't need water like yours does Smile
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Still High Oil Temps, was "ROI: Oil Temp Gauge" Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
An engine in good shape will run fine at 75 without experiencing super high oil temps. When in heavy traffic I drive the speed everyone else is going and my engine doesn't see that high of oil or head temps. ]

Come here this week and try that. Hope you have AAA towing card.

Very Happy

1.5 hrs on the freeway loaded with shit. didn't break 197* ambient in the low 90's

What kind of transmission are you running... Looks like only around 3200 rpm at 76 mph. Freeway flyer?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Still High Oil Temps, was "ROI: Oil Temp Gauge" Reply with quote

77 by GPS and yes, 100% reworked for my application.

steve, take the water out of your acura Razz

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Still High Oil Temps, was "ROI: Oil Temp Gauge" Reply with quote

77 by GPS and yes, 100% reworked for my application.

steve, take the water out of your acura Razz

Eh? Eh?

It needs the water to get up to the speed governor at 136 MPH. The 77 bus limits out at 5400 RPM, which is slower in top end than my 1971 with a 1600 used to run (80 - 85 mph all day) when it was tricked out (which should tell you with an 002 what kind of RPM it ran it). And it didn't have the cooling issues this 2L has but on the other hand it was slower up hill.

My 2L does the same thing the one in this thread does if I push it too hard on a hot day. High oil temps in these air cooled engines are either inadequate cooling or excessive heat - nothing more. You got around the excessive heat with a water cooled conversion, which in a smog state is suicide.

I found this chart on Richard Atwell's site as related to prior comments.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Still High Oil Temps, was "ROI: Oil Temp Gauge" Reply with quote

just bustin' ballz....

i just moved my worries from oil temp to speeding tickets Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Still High Oil Temps, was "ROI: Oil Temp Gauge" Reply with quote

just bustin' ballz....

i just moved my worries from oil temp to speeding tickets Laughing

we promise we'll come an visit you.. "Honestly ossifer, jus cruising along when I seen your lights."
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

I noticed one older post where someone was impressed SAE 30 worked better at 64F than 20W-50. Why the heck would someone run 20W-50 at 60 -70F ambient temps and then complain about oil temperatures? Those are winter and spring temps around here. 20W-50 is a summer oil where temps are expected to top 90F frequently.

Here is a tale of two buses. FYI - if you cheat by changing the temperature or speeds in the tale you'll get called out on it. In other words, this ONLY pertains to the conditions herein.

Tale of two buses. Conditions 80F leaving the garage. Sea level, long trip ahead. Daytime temps to top 100F.

Bus one is running SAE 30. At 3pm he has been running 65 mph with it 105 F outside. He starts up a long grade, and gears down to 3rd. His oil is 220F at the base of the grade. His oil pressure was 50 PSI at 4,000 RPM when he started out at 8am when it was 80F outside. As he climbs the grade his oil temperature goes to 245 F. He looks at the RPM – 4,000 RPM. He looks at the oil pressure – 30 PSI and falling. He pulls over and parks to let things cool.

Bus two is running 20W – 50. At 3pm he has been running 65 mph with it 105 F outside. He starts up a long grade, and gears down to 3rd. His oil is 230F at the base of the grade. His oil pressure was 70 PSI at 4,000 RPM when he started out at 8am when it was 80F outside. As he climbs the grade his oil temperature goes to 255 F. He looks at the RPM – 4,000 RPM. He looks at the oil pressure – 43 PSI and steady. He backs down 10 mph but continues.

Which bus do you want to be? Would you rather be in the bus that is 10F colder as to the oil but is slowly eating a rod bearing, or in the bus that is 10F hotter but very mechanically sound and proceeding up the hill?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

A quick note on Ratwells oil viscosity/temp chart. Its correct...for temperature versus flow....and totally incorrect....for real world use. Its missing a lot of data. That correlation just assumes that this is the whole story with regard to flow.

Not to get too nerdy on you....

The problem with the advertised viscosity...is in how its "expressed".

Notice that is listed in "centistokes". Really they are more accurate if expressed in centipoise. The difference is that you have to take the "density" of the oil in the sample being tested into consideration......and...motor oil is a SHEAR THINNING product.

The oil is massively sheared in the oil pump and between the bearings and against any sliding surface......so even before you factor in heat thinning.....the oil is thinner. And....that makes a functional difference in the density of the oil.

The viscosity in centistokes is derived from dividing the centipoise number by the density. And...that density changes....its called recovery....if you wait any period of time to test the viscosity on a rheometer from when it comes out of the crankcase. So really...you need to have a bench engine running with a rheometer set up in a hole in the crankcase.

My point is....that the higher the viscosity and tack rate you start with with a liquid....say like 50wt versus 30wt.....the higher the shear stress is because the thicker oil is more resistant ...film strength and density wise...to what is working it.
What they do not show....is what the friction modifiers they add do to that flow characteristic and density...while the oil is under pressure and running....whether flow gets better or worse.

The method they use (ASTM D445) is just a dirt simple temperature and flow comparison...and has nothing to do with film strength or density under shear....which can totally change the flow correlation presented. Many engineered fluids can actually INCREASE tack rate and resistance to flow under shear and pressure.
....which can explain why sometimes going to a thicker oil...just to combat oil thinning...can actually cause relief valve bypass on some engines with some oils and not others.

Here is the D445 method. It has so many issues with shearable non-newtonian liquids that its not allowed for use in many environments that measure fluid flow at temperature.

https://my3.my.umbc.edu/system/shared/attachments/...1334853004

Just some things to ponder. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

Hi Ray - all I know is that when oil pressures falls, or shear is inadequate rod bearings and piston skirts are the first to tank. That said, shear and pressure are like being 10 minutes late to a flight vs 2 hours late - the plane still leaves without you. One either has enough of both or one does not. Below is a link to some oil stats. My whole concern is whether there is adequate pressure and shear when the outside temps are like they are here in the SW in summer. It was 104F yesterday afternoon when we got home here in the Sacramento area. It was 108F the day before when we got home. Split and bay folks up to the dog house cooler found out back in the 1970's that rod bearings and hot pistons can ruin a day. Many a bus was orphaned crossing the deserts of Arizona, New Mexico and California. A good friend of mine spent a week in the Sahara waiting for help when they drove too late one day and the heat seized up a split motor. Then he spent a month in a typhoid clinic. The doctors and nurses at the first clinic they took him to ran the other way - literally. According to the charts, shear in 20W-50 is about 20 - 25% better than in SAE 30, so in my book if shear and pressure are both better when the air outside is really hot, that is what I want. 15 F degree cooler oil won't help me here. To me it is like watching two guys waiting for the next flight arguing and one says but "I was only 10 minutes late so I did better... ." They both missed the flight, and the winner is the person who was waiting on standby in the line when they didn't show up in time ~ even if the route to the airport was not as efficient.

https://www.farmoyl.com/resources/sae-viscosity-grades
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

250K miles on the bearings and around 400K on the crank, this engine ran about half of its life on 30wt during the summer (10w30 winter) and half with 5w40 in the crankcase year around. The rods plastigage fine and the mains bearing journals are still on spec for new. Sorry for the poor pic of the rod bearings Crying or Very sad

The only real problems on the bottom end of the engine was the plating on the cam bearings was failing and the cam had lost noticeable material off of its nose.

If you have an engine that is making 70psi at 4000 at highway speeds you are going to have no oil going through the cooler so your oil temps are going to start out much higher than 230°F, so the oil of number 1 still likely isn't as hot at the top of the grade as number 2 is at the bottom.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

who makes 70 PSI at highway speeds when warm - that would be too thick an oil - like running the summer oil in winter. I might do it if I was making one trip a month for 10 miles but not on a long drive. On an average 400 mile run at 6 am headed to the store when it is 70F outside under the delta breeze in summer oil pressure might be 15 PSI per 1000. By the time if is 2pm and we are headed out to Yosemite it is now 105F and we have 8,000 to 9,000 feet to climb from sea level. By the time we get to 6,000' the oil pressure is 10 - 11 PSI per 1,000 RPM. If you think my engine would survive SAE 30 under those conditions I don't think so. Even 10W -40 is too light. I've tried it in my 1977 and my 1971. 20W- 50 is the only oil that will survive those summer temps. 20W-60 is too heavy and SAE 50 is too heavy. SAE 40 is too heavy for the morning start up even. Come live here a while Mike and you will stop arguing about it. If we just drove to the store and back we'd be fine with SAE 30.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
who makes 70 PSI at highway speeds when warm - that would be too thick an oil - like running the summer oil in winter. I might do it if I was making one trip a month for 10 miles but not on a long drive. On an average 400 mile run at 6 am headed to the store when it is 70F outside under the delta breeze in summer oil pressure might be 15 PSI per 1000. By the time if is 2pm and we are headed out to Yosemite it is now 105F and we have 8,000 to 9,000 feet to climb from sea level. By the time we get to 6,000' the oil pressure is 10 - 11 PSI per 1,000 RPM. If you think my engine would survive SAE 30 under those conditions I don't think so. Even 10W -40 is too light. I've tried it in my 1977 and my 1971. 20W- 50 is the only oil that will survive those summer temps. 20W-60 is too heavy and SAE 50 is too heavy. SAE 40 is too heavy for the morning start up even. Come live here a while Mike and you will stop arguing about it. If we just drove to the store and back we'd be fine with SAE 30.

Quote:

His oil is 230F at the base of the grade. His oil pressure was 70 PSI at 4,000 RPM when he started out at 8am when it was 80F outside. As he climbs the grade his oil temperature goes to 255 F.

Sorry it sounded like you were saying is his oil was 230° at the base of the grade and his oil pressure was 70 at the same time.

FYI, My old engine made two late August trips across the northern plains with afternoon temperature in the 105° range, coast to coast, ~3000 miles in 2.5 days per trip, no babying. One trip was on 30wt and the other on 5w40, both oils did just fine. The old power plant made many other trips as well just not straight through runs. I pretty much never knew heat was a problem with a properly built and maintained VW engine until I got on The Samba and learned that people thought they needed 20w50 or other super mud on the crankcase. You are joking that 40wt is too thick to get a cold start in California, right?

The people that usually make that kind of absurd claim are usually pushing 0w20 as an all season oil.

I am really glad that my first experiences with ACVWs were with engines that VW specced normal weight oils for. I think that has saved me untold grief over the years.

Climbed a lot of passes over the years: Red Pass, Wolf Creek Pass, Eisenhower Pass, Paso de Cortez, Yosemite, Yellowstone, the Big Horns Mts, the list is long.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Hi Ray - all I know is that when oil pressures falls, or shear is inadequate rod bearings and piston skirts are the first to tank. That said, shear and pressure are like being 10 minutes late to a flight vs 2 hours late - the plane still leaves without you. One either has enough of both or one does not. Below is a link to some oil stats. My whole concern is whether there is adequate pressure and shear when the outside temps are like they are here in the SW in summer. It was 104F yesterday afternoon when we got home here in the Sacramento area. It was 108F the day before when we got home. Split and bay folks up to the dog house cooler found out back in the 1970's that rod bearings and hot pistons can ruin a day. Many a bus was orphaned crossing the deserts of Arizona, New Mexico and California. A good friend of mine spent a week in the Sahara waiting for help when they drove too late one day and the heat seized up a split motor. Then he spent a month in a typhoid clinic. The doctors and nurses at the first clinic they took him to ran the other way - literally. According to the charts, shear in 20W-50 is about 20 - 25% better than in SAE 30, so in my book if shear and pressure are both better when the air outside is really hot, that is what I want. 15 F degree cooler oil won't help me here. To me it is like watching two guys waiting for the next flight arguing and one says but "I was only 10 minutes late so I did better... ." They both missed the flight, and the winner is the person who was waiting on standby in the line when they didn't show up in time ~ even if the route to the airport was not as efficient.

https://www.farmoyl.com/resources/sae-viscosity-grades

Shear thinning of most non-friction modified lubricating oils happens in just about 1 millisecond in a gear type pump....of course depending on rpm. But since it takes only one rev.....and at 3000 rpm crank you are running 1500 rpm oil pump speed.....which is 25 revs per second....and 9 teeth per gear.....and each gear "squeeze" produces maximum shear......and recovery time varies but is typically under 30 seconds for motor oil after pumping stops....and you have only 3.5-ish quarts circulating.....and an oil can shear thin and film strength decrease ...... or shear thin and film strength increase.....which is hard to know....UNLESS you actually test for it......my point was that the test that produce those numbers can be waaaaaaaaay off for any given oil....because they do not test for more than one basic variable......viscosity.....at any given temperature. They use really simple viscometers with a wide range of variability.....instead of using a heated "rheometer"....which adds in shear stress, temperature and viscosity.

You cannnot just say "50wt does X at 212°F and 30 wt does Y at 212° F".....with any certainty......unless you check shear stress.....and for each different oil formulation. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

40 wt gives too high an oil pressure when it is cold. It might be 90 when we go to bed in a place like Yosemite and then 28F when we get up some times of the year when there is snow at the higher elevations and the breeze is downslope. SAE 40 will peg the needle when it is like that. VW doesn't even want one using SAE 30 when it is 28F outside.

None of the air cooled pages I have seen mirror what you show. The 1979 Bay page shows only SAE 40 above 80F. At that time multi-grade oils were not as refined as they are today. I designed and built several cars/motors that won SCCA championships using oil that was 20W-50 in those motors, so whatever is in that "mud" it is really good stuff. Wink And - looking at VW's opinion based on their chart for a 1979 Bay, 20W-50 was too thin for them in 1979.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

One page that I show covered mid sixties 1300 and 1500 engines they being the first VW engines I dealt with much at all and the other show the late sixties Bays. As I said I am glad I started into VW with cars of this era as running a 30wt oil in the summer proved very successful and kept me from a lot of grief.

As I also said previously a modern 40wt oil acts more like a 15w40 or 20w40, but without requiring viscosity modifiers to achieve such, just improved refining over the last 40 years. You needn't worry about starting an engine much of anywhere in the states during the warmer months with 40wt in the crankcase.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

I run 10-30 Valvoline 1 in all my VW's year around, here in hot PHX. My engines are type 1's. All have less than 10k miles on them. I have no oil pressure issues, even on the hottest summer days that I drive them in. Laughing

With these engines still having tight bearing clearances, they hate 10-40w and run hotter oil temps with it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I run 10-30 Valvoline 1 in all my VW's year around, here in hot PHX. My engines are type 1's. All have less than 10k miles on them. I have no oil pressure issues, even on the hottest summer days that I drive them in. Laughing

With these engines still having tight bearing clearances, they hate 10-40w and run hotter oil temps with it.

One of the main reasons I went from running 30wt in the summer to running an xxw40 oil was an xxw40 oil was not restricted in the amount of ZDDP it could have and with a Type 4 motor keeping the cam alive is one of the main issues, so 10-15 years ago having high ZDDP was a plus. Today it seems oil companies pretty much have come up with other ways to protect the cam and other engine parts from wear without needing as much ZDDP so I am tempted to go back to 30wt.

As I have posted before, when I did my testing, 30wt gave lower oil temperatures than either a xxw40 oil or a 0w20 (maybe 5w20?) oil.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

what is the consensus on synthetics for ACVW's?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Temps FAQ Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
what is the consensus on synthetics for ACVW's?

If it handles heat better than a dino oil and you are concerned about the effects of heat on your oil, why wouldn't you run it?

This is what a high mileage head can look like on an engine that was run using synthetic oils.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: