Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Check out our current ride height:::

We recently removed our heavy rear setup (GW dual swing outs, Ladder, spare large tire, and Aluminess box) and the rear rose approx 1/2" to settle around 20" from center of axle to fender. The front sits approx around 18.5". I wouldn't mind lifting the rig slightly all around to sit around 19.5- 20" for a touch more clearance and look while not too extreme to wear our CV's.

We are playing around with the idea to tighten up our ride as well as we do 90% pavement driving and 10% off-road (unfortunately!). Looking for a slightly firmer ride to help with cross-wind and additional weight (added pop top recently and other do-dads).

We currently use Burly's front and rear setup:

Eibach 500 rear (non adjustable)/ 450 front with Bilsten coil overs (adjustable)

Our rig weighs approx:
5260 gross wt
2700 rear
2560 front

We are thinking of using 550 spring rate for both front and rear. Would that be too harsh of a ride?

Cheers!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

If you want trouble free, stock height is the way to go.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Based on the math, stock spring rates are perfect. Shocks will ultimately control your van, and too high spring rate will raise your spring frequency, reducing comfort.
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
If you want trouble free, stock height is the way to go.

Thanks Dylan. I have heard that from other experts as well.

Just so I am correct... Is stock height 18.5" from center axle nut to bottom of fender? So the only gain in clearnace from stock would be the difference in increased Tire size?

What about firmness of ride - spring rate suggestions? Is 550 too much?
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Based on the math, stock spring rates are perfect. Shocks will ultimately control your van, and too high spring rate will raise your spring frequency, reducing comfort.

excuse my ignorance, but what is the stock spring rate for the weekender model syncro?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Syncro Westys are tough to nail a rate down on in my opinion....variable weights.

But my trusty tintop Syncros.....I have gone down to a 400 in a stripped out base model that carries surf, snow and skateboards with me and my wife.
It feels soft, but there are tricks, spring rubbers, air shocks, limiting straps...all sorts of stuff to customize with.
These are not stock springs but custom springs available in different rates at 25 increments.
I have purchased race lots off eBay in the size I needed and have swapped and swapped and swapped.

Stock is really sweet, almost all the time....for those who don't need an offroad specific van.

If you have talked to Burley about it, as you own some of his products, I would defer to what he recommends.

Christopher at T3technique is another valuable suspension adviser.

FYI, the VW factory spring rates are available in different forums along with the colored markings to tell the differences between them.

I have measured stock springs and most aftermarket years ago.
Most fall within 10-15% of the stock rates.

Testing used springs will still give you a very close to new number, when talking about the rate.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Rjhdog wrote:
hans j wrote:

excuse my ignorance, but what is the stock spring rate for the weekender model syncro?

Probably around 460 or so. I remember looking the info up on ig-16 and converting it to our spring rates. My research only found differences in the heavy duty vehicles like ambulances and fire department vehicles.

But I have done the math based on my corner weights. I'm running much lighter springs than stock and my syncro westy weighs an easy 5600 pounds.

I don't know how you are getting that heavy in the rear (2700lbs), I have a TDI and two spare tires in the back of mine and weigh that much!

I've posted it somewhere before, all the links I used to determine my spring rate, spring frequency, motion ratio, and then placed calls to Bilstein to sort out my shock valving. I'm using custom valved 6100 up front and 7100 external reservoir in the rear.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

I personally think 550 is too stiff. I think stock is around 450 or less. I put some 2wd springs in my syncro as a test and it was nice and soft, felt like I was aired way down. But I didn't have a chance to see how it affected handling. I am now looking for softer, not stiffer and may compensate with stiff shocks and new bushings and sway bar. I find it annoying that my van feels every little bump, while my Camry just floats down the road.

I currently have synro.org DP Westy springs and stiff D load BFGs. I have only done a bit of experimenting so far but I have moved from thinking stiffer is better to ..not so much.

Last edited by davevickery on Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

460 is stock - so I am dang near close to stock. Hmmm, maybe I don't want to play around too much.

Is 18.5" ride height stock?

Regarding weight in rear:

Perhaps the H6 engine, rear box, the hilift, the maxxtrax, spare 16" tires could be factors.

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Rjhdog wrote:

Regarding weight in rear:

Perhaps the H6 engine, rear box, the hilift, the maxxtrax, spare 16" tires could be factors.

Now it makes sense! Your first photo showed nothing on the back and didn't list any other specs!

Pretty sure 18.5 is stock. I'm right there and haven't had really any troubles getting into and out of places. Just judicial use of the rear locker.
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Hey RJ, I use these, with stock springs, to customize my ride depending on how much I am carrying. Our vans are similar in how they are loaded.

Scott
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=...a853f19fd2
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Thanks for all the insight and advice thus far.

This is what I am thinking now:

I will be close to stock height and slightly above stock spring rate.

Ride height in rear is 19" - can't adjust the rear with my current setup. So I will adjust front to match 19".
Rear already has 500lbs springs and it seems fine esp with the added wt in the rear. I will bump up from 450 to 500 in front for a slightly firmer ride. Since stock was 460, I would rather go slightly stiffer than softer from stock. I can be weighted down quite a bit for our big trips.

Does that sound like a good plan without being too extreme?

One further question:

Since I am near stock height my clearance from stock would only be increased by my larger 16" wheels. I am running 225/75/16. For curiosity sake, how much more clearance do I have now compared to stock? I don't know the actual height of stock tires vs mine...

Opinions welcomed. Thanks!

Btw: this is how she looks after a recent bubble bath.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Suspension feel is very subjective.
I for one look forward to hearing how this setup works for YOU.
I have noted the rates and products used in my extensive notes on the subject.

Please keep us up to date.

Happy trails.
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Suspension feel is very subjective.
I for one look forward to hearing how this setup works for YOU.
I have noted the rates and products used in my extensive notes on the subject.

Please keep us up to date.

Happy trails.

Thanks Dylan.

Subjective for sure.

I have heard rates ranging from 750 - 400. Crazy differences.

Since you have used most, if not all, of the suspension iterations out there, do you know the correlation of ride height vs firmness - if I adjust the front up another .5" what that would roughly equate to for increased firmness of ride? For example if I am running 450 up front, then adjust it up .5" would that give me the firmness of say approx a 475 spring at the original ride height? Likely a tough one to answer but figure to ask if I am making any sense????
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Rjhdog wrote:

Since you have used most, if not all, of the suspension iterations out there, do you know the correlation of ride height vs firmness - if I adjust the front up another .5" what that would roughly equate to for increased firmness of ride? For example if I am running 450 up front, then adjust it up .5" would that give me the firmness of say approx a 475 spring at the original ride height? Likely a tough one to answer but figure to ask if I am making any sense????

The spring rate would still be 450 lb. No matter what you did with the ride height. It would still take 450 lb to compress the 1". The only way to change the spring rate is to change the springs.

When a spring is rated, the rating comes from how much weight it takes to compress the spring 1". So for a 450 lb spring, it theoretically takes 450 lb to compress the spring the first inch, then another 450 lb to compress another inch (900 lb total), another 450 lb to compress the next inch (1350 lb) and so on. The reason I used the word "theoretically" is that often the first movements of spring compression has some variance due to spring design, material deflection in the rate checker, etc. For this reason, the true first inch of spring travel may be slightly off from the actual 450 lb spring rate.

I'm personally in agreement with those that say to keep the spring rates close to stock and spend time/money on shock valving to tune things in to your liking.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

The spring's rate is only one factor that one would "feel" while driving.

My take on suspension has always been that we want ALL of the variables working together, to achieve the "ride" that we like.

When one of the variables is way off the chart in comparison to the others, you will "feel" it.
Some like it, mostly softly sprung vehicles that is.
Yes, the nose will dive, but driving style can make up for that.

Now I prefer stiffer, a very level driving vehicle, no porpoising front ends.
The consistency of the suspension is what I really like.

So, to try and sum it up, each individual part of the suspension must be tuned into the "ride" that you are looking for.

The best way to do this is start experimenting with differing bushings, like the swaybar bushings.
Once you know what you prefer, loose, soft, stiff.....you can try the swaps with other parts and not have to try everything.
If you like a little bit stiffer sway bar setup, I would try stiffing the springs a tad and having the valving of the shocks match the springs.

Hope this helps.
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Thanks for the Advice Chris and Dylan - much appreciated.

Guess I will try Chris's new swaybar to stiffen the ride - i have heard nothing but positive reviews on the set up.

I began down this exploration mainly due to the fact that my Burly UCA (early protos) hits the bottom of my wheel well on whoop-dees esp when loaded with gear. Sad It never use to happen prior to my pop-top conversion...

I think the added weight was just enough to allow the UCA to make contact, or my springs/shocks are getting tired...

I am going to pull them off and install a longer bump stop and while I was there look into the possibility of stiffening the ride slightly with stiffer springs...
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

I put a oberschlachter 35mm lift kit on my rusty syncro. No issues with stock CV's.

here it is with 235/70r15's (28" tall), SA 15x7 steel rims & 35mm blocks.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1497880.jpg

I decided on the lift kit vs lift springs because I didn't want to change the ride quality
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

As far as sway goes, my soft springs and stiff dampers work awesome. I've driven vans with the T3 sway bar and it helps a great deal as well. I just have a factory syncro sway bar on mine and have very little sway and dive while braking.

My suspension passes the girlfriend test too. She often writes in our journal and crochets while we are on all types of roads, including dirt. My suspension is firm, but not jarring unless I hit a large pothole or some expansion joints. And even when that happens, my shocks immediately control the van and stop any after bounces. It feels a little bit softer than my Audi S4 with Bilstein PSS9 coilovers.

I usually run my BFG's at 38psi or so on the highway and 22ish on dirt roads.
If you ever pass through SLC, I'd be happy to take you for a drive!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the ride height of our Syncro - spring rate advice Reply with quote

Rjhdog wrote:
Thanks for the Advice Chris and Dylan - much appreciated.

Guess I will try Chris's new swaybar to stiffen the ride - i have heard nothing but positive reviews on the set up.

I began down this exploration mainly due to the fact that my Burly UCA (early protos) hits the bottom of my wheel well on whoop-dees esp when loaded with gear. Sad It never use to happen prior to my pop-top conversion...

I think the added weight was just enough to allow the UCA to make contact, or my springs/shocks are getting tired...

I am going to pull them off and install a longer bump stop and while I was there look into the possibility of stiffening the ride slightly with stiffer springs...

I own most of Burley's wares.
He has done a fine job of hitting even the tiniest of tolerances.
Yes, added weight is going to throw things off a bit.

Time to trim your wheelwells and or roll the inside edge.

Eastwood sells a nice fender roller for short money when on sale.
I use it to gain a few precious mms and keep the rub to a fraction of what it could be.

I don't see or read a single thing wrong with where you are with your suspension.
Actually, you are very knowledgeable on the subject.

It really is coming down to making a bit more room for what you have mounted and for the driving that you do, even if moderately.

Always check full compression and full extension when you have the van off the ground on jacks or a hoist.

Hope this helps.

D
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: