Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 Baja - Dark Earth Version
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

When I first bought the Baja, I was just gonna install a "Thing" front end with torsion adjusters and start driving it. Well, I got the beam installed Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Using magnets, I mocked up the parts to show what it might look like when I'm finished.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

[quote="Dark Earth"]
veeweeman wrote:
I have to say. ..wow! Quite a re-build thread you got here. ..your attention to detail is evident that you plan to keep the baja for a while. ..you have mad fab skills as well. ..since you are trying to preserve the baja and are looking to prevent rust from returning, may I suggest Monstaliner chassis saver?...I will be doing my entire frame with this product and will be doing the entire body in a tough no scratch bedliner color, Predator..they have many colors choices. ..I chose to use this product for many reasons, I drive off road, I will be driving through brush and branches. ..and I didn't want to make it look so pretty that I didn't want to take it off road and be afraid to mess up the new paint job Shocked
http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_pricing.htm

It's funny when you only want to JUST paint the car and end up into a full restoration Laughing
I will be watching for more to come Cool

VeeWeeman

My fab skills can't compare to your patience. ...I would have just found another body and called it done. ..but you are the man Dark Earth, Cool
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
My fab skills can't compare to your patience. ...I would have just found another body and called it done. ..but you are the man Dark Earth, Cool

I'll have to admit that welding on paper thin metal to repair rusty areas tried my patience to the very limit Brick wall I thought about getting another body many times !!

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Paint is a wonderful tool if you understand it... I've designed many a different things with that program, then sent to CAD for scaling...

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
Paint is a wonderful tool if you understand it... I've designed many a different things with that program, then sent to CAD for scaling...

I mostly use paint to resize images and make 2D drawings #Sleep

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I bought a 4" C-clamp

I bought a 7/8" OD x 1/2" ID x 2" spacer and a 1/2" transfer punch.

I bought a 5/8" ID spacer.

I trimmed the 5/8" ID spacer to 1 1/2" in length and welded it to a piece of 1/2"-13 all thread cut to 21" in length.

Using a magnet to hold the 7/8" spacer, I set the hooks in place to locate where the spacer goes.

I marked around the spacer with a sharpie, removed the magnet, and clamped the spacer in place using the mark for reference.

The ball joints are in a bind making it difficult to turn the spindle with the steering arm. I tightened the nut on the all-thread until the ball joints came out of the bind, making it noticeably easier to turn the spindle with the steering arm, which was at 2 5/16" from the top of the nut to the top of the all-thread. I tightened the nut down to 2 1/2" and checked the alignment of the lower hook. This is where I'll tack the lower hook later. The measurement from the center of the lower shock stud to under the upper shock mount was 18".

I tightened the nut down until the ball joints went into a bind again. This happened at 8 1/4" of all thread above the nut. I backed the nut off 1/4" to 8". The measurement from the center of the lower shock stud to under the upper shock mount was 12 1/2". That will give me 5 1/2" of travel between hook stops.

The hooks lined up no matter which position the trailing arms were in which means they are perfectly round.

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Where the heck did you get a Thing front end from?...its not like you can go down to the Dollar store and pick one up. ...you must have connections, right?

VeeWeeman
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
Where the heck did you get a Thing front end from?...its not like you can go down to the Dollar store and pick one up. ...you must have connections, right?
VeeWeeman

I don't have any connections unless you count the overtime sheet at work Anxious

http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Thing_front_end_beams_for_VW_Volkswagen_p/thingballjointbeam.htm

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
veeweeman wrote:
VeeWeeman

I don't have any connections unless you count the overtime sheet at work Anxious

http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Thing_front_end_beams_for_VW_Volkswagen_p/thingballjointbeam.htm

$900 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yeow!!!! I had to get up out of my chair because of the sharp pain in the hip pocket...And that was sympathy pain. And that's for "Re-Built". This stuff just ain't as inexpensive as it used to was. Of course that's for an item that's been out of production for 45 years.

Be sure the welds on the inboard side of the hooks don't tear the grease seals. But if you don't weld the inboard side, the hooks are likely to tear off quickly, especially if you get a rock in between the hook and the rod.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Dark Earth wrote:

$900 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yeow!!!! I had to get up out of my chair because of the sharp pain in the hip pocket...And that was sympathy pain. And that's for "Re-Built". This stuff just ain't as inexpensive as it used to was. Of course that's for an item that's been out of production for 45 years.

Be sure the welds on the inboard side of the hooks don't tear the grease seals. But if you don't weld the inboard side, the hooks are likely to tear off quickly, especially if you get a rock in between the hook and the rod.

Yeah, the Thing parts ain't cheap Rolling Eyes I paid a bunch for Thing drums too d'oh!

I'll definitely pay close attention to the welds on the inside. Thanks for the heads up !!

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

After cycling the suspension through the upper and lower limits and checking the alignment of the hooks, I'm satisfied that the spacer is in the right spot.

Using a straight pick ...

... I scribed a line around the spacer and removed the C-clamp

I lined the spacer up with the scribed mark ...

... and tapped the transfer punch with a hammer.

Now I have a center punch mark to start the drilling process.

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Hey dark earth...I'm going to guess that you must be a Virgo? ...your attention to detail is evident about your work ethic and trying to get it done perfectly not to mention all the photo time you have on your hands. ... Laughing Laughing Laughing ...otherwise very nice detailed build topic here. Razz

VeeWeeman Wink
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
Hey dark earth...I'm going to guess that you must be a Virgo? ...your attention to detail is evident about your work ethic and trying to get it done perfectly not to mention all the photo time you have on your hands. ... Laughing Laughing Laughing ...otherwise very nice detailed build topic here. Razz

VeeWeeman Wink

Thanks veeweeman !! Yeah, it takes a lot of patience to stop and take pics along the way. The good thing is the "other side" always goes faster Anxious

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I began the drilling process starting with a 1/16" pilot hole working my way up to 1/2" a step at a time. I used the spacer ( to make sure the hooks still lined up ) and transfer punch ( sticking through the hole I just drilled in the outside of the beam ) to make a punch mark on the inside of the beam.

I drilled the hole on the inside of the beam ( through the hole I just drilled in the outside of the beam ) to 1/2", in steps, as well. I used the spacer and transfer punch to scribe a mark on the inner side of the beam.

I bought a 3/16" - 7/8" step drill bit.

I opened the hole up to 7/8" using the step drill bit. I didn't quite make it all the way through the inner side of the beam. My drill doesn't fit on the inner side either Rolling Eyes

I used a die grinder, with a burr bit, to open the inner hole to 7/8". I set the rod in place flush with the beam.

With the rod flush on the inner side of the beam, the hook is also flush with the outer end of the rod.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I bought some 7/8" 8620 alloy steel round stock. I cut two pieces 3 1/2" long. The rods that came with the kit were the same steel only 3" long.

I cut the longer rods so I'd have more than enough room on the inside and outside.

I'll tack the rod in place and tack the hooks flush with the inner surface the seal rides on ( Once I get a fresh bottle of 75% Argon 25% CO2 d'oh! )

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Not to critique your work but I think you should put a 45 degree bevel on those arm stops. ..you will get much better penetration on both sides of your weld...welding is basically melting metal together, as you know. ..but a bevel will keep those from breaking off if choose not to bevel.

Another paid add by "my two cents".

Sorry dark earth but with your attention to detail, I just had to say something. ..it your great photography that gave you away.

VeeWeeman Cool
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
Not to critique your work but I think you should put a 45 degree bevel on those arm stops. ..you will get much better penetration on both sides of your weld...welding is basically melting metal together, as you know. ..but a bevel will keep those from breaking off if choose not to bevel.

Another paid add by "my two cents".

Sorry dark earth but with your attention to detail, I just had to say something. ..it your great photography that gave you away.

VeeWeeman Cool

Thanks for your two cents VeeWeeman !! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I tightened the nut on the all-thread to 8", tacked the rod in place, and tacked the hook in place.

I loosened the nut back down to 2 1/2" and tacked the lower hook in place.

The hooks will never hit each other. Dancing

Now I need to take the trailing arms off. I don't want to put too much heat around the trailing arm needle bearings. Welding the inner side of the hooks, where the seals seat, will be easier as well. But first I'm gonna do the other side. Anxious

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I bought a ball joint separator.

The way it works is pretty straightforward. The upper end slips under the ball joint boot, and the lower end pushes against the ball joint stud as you tighten the bolt on the separator.

(I set this up just to get a photo. I'm not ready to take this side apart. I haven't even loosened the nuts on the ball joints yet. I did the drivers side already, but didn't get a photo d'oh!. On the drivers side, I loosened the nuts until they were flush with the bottom of the studs to protect the threads.)

On the driver side, I loosened the nuts and grub screws and pulled the upper trailing arm right off. The lower trailing arm still had a little tension on it, with the hook against the rod, although I backed the adjusters all the way off. I tapped the lower trailing arm with a hammer, using a 2x4 to protect it, and it came right off.

Now I'll be able to weld the inside and outside of the trailing arm hooks.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I welded a series of tacks on the outside.

I bought a burr bit.

I backgouged the outside tacks.

I welded a series of tacks on the inside.

I backgouged the inside tacks.

I welded a series of tacks on the outside.

I sanded the inside fairly smooth.

Just three more arms to go Dancing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: