Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 Baja - Dark Earth Version
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I'll be darned if I didn't run into another problem with the rear brakes. When I went to turn the drums, to feel how smooth they turned, I heard a lot of scraping. I pulled the drum and realized where it was rubbing. The drums were rubbing on the new backing plates.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, back apart it comes again. I put the VW backing plates back on, and put everything back together just like before, with one exception. Last time I torqued the axle nut to 25 ft/lbs on the torque buddy, giving me 225 ft/lbs at the nut. I saw a thread on the '68 and up Beetle forum saying the nut's supposed to be torqued to 253 ft/lbs, so I upped the torque wrench setting to 28 ft/lbs, giving me 252 ft/lbs at the nut. Bingo.

I should have just stayed with the VW backing plates, but I fell for the lure of shiny parts. The VW backing plates made putting things back together so much nicer and ... no scraping. Lesson learned. Anxious
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I went to install the "Thing" brake drums and found a problem. When I tightened the rear axle nut, the cotter pin hole in the stub axle was beyond the "castellation" in the nut. I found a thicker rear axle nut. It's a chrome nut made by empi.

It's about an 1/8" thicker than the first one I bought.

I used a "torque buddy" to tighten the nut. It has a 9:1 ratio, so 25 ft/lbs on the torque wrench equals 225 ft/lbs on the nut.

The cotter pin lines up perfectly.

I'm not sure if the empi conversion axles are longer than stock, but the chrome nut they sell did the trick.

Last edited by Dark Earth on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

On June 4th, 2016 ...
Dark Earth wrote:
My master cylinder is leaking. So, I want to replace the master cylinder and the long brake line that runs from the front to the back of the car. I want to install new seats before I install the long brake line, because there will be welding involved in the seat install, and I don't want to damage the brake line accidentally.

Well, I finally got that long brake line installed. I used the tubing straightener/bender pliers I bought when I replaced the fuel line inside the tunnel.

I bent a piece of wire as a pattern for the rear part of the brake line. Since my master cylinder is removed, I was able to just let the remainder of the brake line stick through the hole in the napolean hat as I trial fitted the rear of the line. Once I was satisfied with the fit, I marked the brake line for the next bend, towards the front, using this diagram.

Then it was a matter of trial and error until I was satisfied with the fit.

It's not perfect by any means, but I think it will work
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Not much of an update, but I finished the rear brakes.

I put painters tape on the shoes temporarily to keep them clean. I also bought flange bolts for the bearing housing and torqued them to 43 ft/lbs ... for the last time. Anxious
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Good call on the narrower seal. Wink

Ha ha Thanks Van !!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Good call on the narrower seal. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

After spending a bunch of time welding tin foil and rattle can painting, It's now time to get back to some more mechanical work. After installing new front backing plates, I decided to buy some reproduction backing plates for the rear as well.

I also decided to go with a narrower outer wheel seal after reading Vanapplebomb's build.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=600

I installed the new backing plate and new outer seal, then I torqued the bolts to 43 ft/lbs. I don't know if you can see it, but the outer spacer sits a little more flush with the seal than before.

One more bite out of the elephant. Now I just have to do the other side. Anxious

Last edited by Dark Earth on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Well, as summer comes to an end, I'm still not done rattle can painting the interior. Rolling Eyes
I do, however, have at least one coat of paint on the entire interior. I fine sanded the dash, under dash, front firewall and wheel wells and gave those areas a second coat. I'll give the rest of the interior a second coat next summer. Anxious

I kinda screwed up. I got a bunch of white paint overspray on the recently painted black pan. I want to fix that before I do anything else. I want to paint the napoleon hat on the exterior so I can finally run the long brake line from the front to the rear. Then I can start assembling the brakes. That's the plan anyway.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Cool
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...this match
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Most people, even in person, think it's white. Until you park it next to something that IS white. THEN it really stands out as NOT being white.

It's like the paper test for those 3D whitening strips. Laughing
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Most people, even in person, think it's white. Until you park it next to something that IS white. THEN it really stands out as NOT being white.

For the roll cage and bumpers in mine I used Rustoleum Sail Blue. Bought it in quart cans from the local hardware store. Shot it with my Harbor Freight touch-up gun. Mixed the paint 1:1 with mineral spirits thinner. Sprayed beautifully and cured nicely too. It actually cured about 2x as fast as out of the spray can and with a very high gloss too. Lots better flow, self leveling, and less orange peel. Better run resistance too. Spray can touch ups tend to have runs and orange peel though.
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
In that photo, yours looks a lot like the pale gray in my Baja. Mine was supposed to be closer to battleship gray and I had the paint custom mixed by an auto paint supply. Then the project got pushed aside for a while, and when I came back to it and finally sprayed the paint, it was WAAYYY lighter than intended. The guy at the shop said "It will darken as it cures." It actually got lighter as it cured. But by the time I was done spraying it, I had grown to like it. I couldn't exactly take the paint back either. So it stayed. I still like a medium gray for a Baja Bug. Maybe next paint job on it. It's been 10 years now.

Ha ha, all this time I thought your car was white inside and out. Confused

I'm using this white paint for the interior.

I still need to paint under the dash, the front firewall, the front wheel wells, and the heater channels.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

In that photo, yours looks a lot like the pale gray in my Baja. Mine was supposed to be closer to battleship gray and I had the paint custom mixed by an auto paint supply. Then the project got pushed aside for a while, and when I came back to it and finally sprayed the paint, it was WAAYYY lighter than intended. The guy at the shop said "It will darken as it cures." It actually got lighter as it cured. But by the time I was done spraying it, I had grown to like it. I couldn't exactly take the paint back either. So it stayed. I still like a medium gray for a Baja Bug. Maybe next paint job on it. It's been 10 years now.
SoCalBajas Member
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Back in December 2016 ...
Dark Earth wrote:

While I'm at it, I'm going to sand the dash and paint it (and the interior area where the windshield seats) the color I want before installing the new windshield.

Well, I finally got a coat of paint on the dash Dancing.

Seeing pictures of dustymojave's baja, mr bill's class 11, and Outatime's baja helped me decide the color.

I'm nowhere near done rattle can painting, but I'm getting closer every day. Anxious
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

In this episode of "As the paint dries" ...

I bought some primer that's lighter than the self etching primer I applied before. The lighter color helps me see areas I miss.

Here's the rear window and roof side rails.

Rattle can painting takes a lot longer, but I'll get there sooner or later during these dog days of summer.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
A snow ball rolling down a hill that is. Really picking up momentum. Its all going to come together with a pop.

Ha ha that's awesome Buggeee !!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

A snow ball rolling down a hill that is. Really picking up momentum. Its all going to come together with a pop.
Everybody hates my Air-Cooled Vanagon https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8916982#8916982
The Bug http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672387
The Bug House http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/buggeees-1973-playpac-build-thread-80903.html
The Minion's Bug https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690801
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I don't have much of an update as I'm still working on painting the interior. I decided to paint the door jambs the same color as the interior. Since I'm painting the door jambs, I probably should sand and primer the exterior quarter panels also. Rolling Eyes Talk about the snow ball effect. Anxious

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Bock wrote:
Nice work on the rust repair, I like the comment about not looking for more.. Smile

Ha ha Thanks Bock !!
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Nice work on the rust repair, I like the comment about not looking for more.. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: