Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 Baja - Dark Earth Version
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
You can also use a piece of copper tubing with the end flattened to weld up holes. you may have to anneal the end with a torch so it wont split when you flatten it, if you make the tube about 12" long you can reach most holes with one hand while you weld up the hole with the other.

Casey

That's a good tip. I used a floor jack and a paver to hold the brass flat bar in place while I welded the hole up. I had to lower the jack and set things up over and over again. The brass tubing idea sounds a lot quicker.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Or use a piece of tubing or pipe to make a handle for that piece of brass that you already have... Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Necessity is the mother of invention Anxious

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

My pedals were in desperate need of attention. The clutch pedal looked like it had a new clutch cable cross shaft installed, but the cross shaft pin stuck out on one side and was mushroomed. The pin didn't even go all the way through the clutch pedal. The brake pedal action wasn't smooth and had limited movement. The accelerator pedal was an aftermarket roller pedal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I started by tearing down the pedal assembly. I decided to drill out the pin in the clutch pedal because it was smashed into place and I couldn't get it to budge with a hammer and punch. Once I got everything apart, I cleaned off a bunch of surface rust.

I checked the brass bushings in the brake pedal, and they have minimal play. I cleaned the bushings and the recess in between the bushings.

I bought some assorted parts ...

... and some Super Lube.

I lubed the brake pedal bushings and filled the recess in between the bushings as well. I installed the brake pedal return spring.

I checked the clutch cable cross shaft bushings and they have minimal play also. I lubed the clutch cable cross shaft bushings and installed the brake pedal.

I installed a new snap ring.

I'll lube the clutch cable cross shaft, slide it through the pedal assembly into the clutch pedal, and drive the pin through the clutch pedal and clutch cable cross shaft. Here it is without the pedal assembly for clarity.

And here with the clutch pedal installed on the pedal assembly.

The accelerator pedal is pretty easy. Just line the pin up with the pedal ...

... and push it in with your finger.

When the pedal assembly is installed in the car, the pin won't be able to come out because it will be butted up against the tunnel.

Next comes the gas pedal. I slid the pin into the spring and pedal.

I bought new rubber pads for the pedals.

And here's the finished product ready to install.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I bought my Baja Bug with a cracked windshield. I removed the broken windshield and started cleaning the exterior area where the windshield seats.

Look what I found ...

Rust on the drivers side.

Rust on the passenger side.

The plan is to repair the rust spots and paint the exterior area (where the windshield seats) the color I want.

While I'm at it, I'm going to sand the dash and paint it (and the interior area where the windshield seats) the color I want before installing the new windshield.

Since I'm repainting the dash, why not sand the entire interior down ? Then I can paint it the color I want too.

I masked the rear windows ...

... and began sanding with an orbital sander.

I removed the doors to make sanding easier.

The car was originally painted green. One of the previous owners painted the interior bright yellow. Then after that, someone painted the whole interior (except the bright red dash) flat black.

The flat black gave the interior a real dungeon like feel.

I probably don't have to sand down to bare metal, but I will anyway.

Media blasting would have been a lot faster. I'm not even close to being done yet, but it's getting there.

dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Thats one clean interior! Nice job.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Thats one clean interior! Nice job.

Thanks dirtkeeper !

69 DEWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Any more progress?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

69 DEWD wrote:
Any more progress?

I've been working on the rear seat area. It's really time consuming. There's a bunch of irregular surfaces to remove paint from.

I have a bunch of holes in the firewall. I'm gonna remove the engine so I can weld, grind, and paint the holes from the inside and the outside. The corners where the fender wells meet the firewall are separating, so I'll have to weld those seams as well.

While sanding near the drivers side rear window I found some surface rust. I'm afraid to take the window out because of what I might find.

All I really have left to sand is the front drivers side area. I found this while sanding the pillar area.

I'll have to weld in a new hinge pillar repair panel.

After I remove the engine, I may as well remove the transmission to replace the front and rear transmission mounts, right ?

So, basically I'm not done taking things apart and I'm not done sanding. I think once I get the transmission mounts in, I'll be finally putting things together instead of tearing things down constantly.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Not much of an update as I'm still sanding the interior. Rolling Eyes
The bulk of it is done, but there's still a few small areas I need to finish. Under the dash was a real pain since I left the steering column in place.

Lurking around the corner from a rust hole I already knew about is another large hole.

I bought a new hinge pillar repair panel and it looks like it will take care of the rusty areas.

I found yet another rust hole in about the same spot on the passenger side.

Here's what it looks like from the outside.

I removed the drivers side rear window and got some good news.

It's just surface rust for once !!

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I bought a 500 lb. capacity hydraulic table cart

a 1250 lb. engine stand

and a four arm engine stand yoke.

They fit together nicely and allow the engine to be removed and mounted to the stand easily.

I drilled holes in the engine stand yoke 90º apart so I can rotate the engine on the stand and lock it into position with a pin.

Well, the engine is finally out of the car and mounted on the stand Dancing Although there was a bit of expense involved, It’s all worth it to me. The engine came out smoothly and safely, the exchange to the engine stand went just as planned, and it's now stored safely out of the way.

Now I can get back to finishing the firewall Anxious

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

With the engine already removed, the next step is to remove the transmission. I bought an 8mm 12 point socket to remove the CV joint bolts.

I kept the emergency brake applied, so the rear drums and stub axles wouldn't turn, so loosening the CV joint bolts would be easier. The transmission removal was pretty cut and dry. I then mounted the transmission to an engine stand. There's a few things I'll be doing to the transmission before I re-install it (like give it a bath) but that's for another day.

Next on the agenda is the firewall. I'm getting rid of the sharp knuckle rippers, and I'll sand the firewall down in preparation for welding the numerous holes up.

LoopyAg02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

DE,

Nice build thread. Looking good so far. Thanks for the detailed refurbishing of your pedal assembly and your seat brackets. I have a '73 and have these giant seat post for the front I have to contend with. I'm tempted to cut them out and fab up a mount similar to yours.

Also have I noticed when you purchased the engine had a stinger exhaust and now on the engine stand it has a muffler with side exit(what I looking to install). Have you been able to hear this new exhaust? Thoughts?

CW
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

LoopyAg02 wrote:
DE,

Nice build thread. Looking good so far. Thanks for the detailed refurbishing of your pedal assembly and your seat brackets. I have a '73 and have these giant seat post for the front I have to contend with. I'm tempted to cut them out and fab up a mount similar to yours.

Also have I noticed when you purchased the engine had a stinger exhaust and now on the engine stand it has a muffler with side exit(what I looking to install). Have you been able to hear this new exhaust? Thoughts?

CW

Thanks LoopyAg02 !! I'm glad you found the pedal assembly rebuild helpful. Sometimes I think I include too many pictures or describe too many details. I added a lot of that stuff because I had the same questions and looked for the same pictures when I was researching on how to do it myself.

When I brought the bug home and parked it, It was a little too loud for my tastes. That muffler assembly I bought fit the empi exhaust without any modifications so I thought I'd try it. I haven't even started it since then, so I don't have a clue how it sounds.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I finished sanding the firewall. I'm not going to sand any of the surrounding areas just yet. I want to get back to the interior, which I can't paint until I weld all the holes up in the firewall. I'll tackle the exterior later.

I bought a piece of brass round stock. I'm using it like the flat piece of brass I bought before (as a backing strip that the weld won't stick to).

Starting with the lowest hole, I butted the brass round stock against the firewall from the inside.

Here's the large hole on the left side with the brass flat bar backing strip butted up against it from the inside.

I sanded the outside down relatively smooth. I sanded the inside leaving some weld buildup. I'll be covering the inside with carpet after I finish painting the interior.

Next on the agenda is the rust holes I found when I removed my cracked windshield. Here's the passengers side.

I ground the jagged edges straight and rounded the ends.

I cut a small piece of sheet metal for a backing strip and tacked it in place.

I let each tack cool before starting on another one. I started the tacks on the sheet metal and let them grow until they just touched the edge.

I kept going around the perimeter, skipping to the next tack and letting it cool, until I had the whole thing filled. I laid the brass strap against the inside of the metal that the windshield rubber attaches to and built it up on the edge. Then it was a matter of grinding, sanding and using a dremel tool to shape it the best I could.

Then there's the drivers side.

I did the same procedure just on a smaller scale. Luckily the metal that the windshield rubber mounts to is not damaged like the passenger side was.

Here's all the beads piled up.

And after grinding, sanding, and using a dremel tool to shape it again.

Now I can get back to finishing the interior.

Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

That's damn fine work! I wish I could be so motivated and meticulous!
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Sandjunky wrote:
That's damn fine work! I wish I could be so motivated and meticulous!

Thanks Sandjunky !!

LoopyAg02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

What size wire are you using? Do you have the spacing tang on your nozzle to ensure uniform distance from material?

The metal work looks really good. I'll have a bit to do on mine as I have the '73 fresh air vent foam rust issues Confused
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

LoopyAg02 wrote:
What size wire are you using? Do you have the spacing tang on your nozzle to ensure uniform distance from material?

The metal work looks really good. I'll have a bit to do on mine as I have the '73 fresh air vent foam rust issues Confused

I'm using a Lincoln 180C with 0.025" wire. I used the nozzle and contact tip that came with it.

I have it set for 18 Gauge (.048") thickness metal or "2 , D.5" from the chart.

I'd say I had between 1/4"- 3/8" wire stick out before I started a bead.

Here's a picture of my mig gun (Lincoln Magnum PRO 100L)

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I settled on Rustoleum flat khaki camouflage paint for the Dark Earth color.

It's a little bit lighter than I thought it would be, but I like it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: