Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 Baja - Dark Earth Version
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingOnTheAshes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Awesome, I need to replace the sheet around that same door post, those pictures above were educational and really helpful.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

DancingOnTheAshes wrote:
Awesome, I need to replace the sheet around that same door post, those pictures above were educational and really helpful.

I'm glad the pictures were helpful.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The brake teardown was pretty basic stuff. I removed the upper and lower springs, removed the brake shoe retainers, and removed the shoes. I then removed the bleeder screw from the wheel cylinder. I used an 11 mm tubing wrench to remove the brake line from the wheel cylinder so I wouldn't round the fitting.

Next I removed the wheel cylinder. It's bolted from the back side of the backing plate. I removed the four bolts that hold the outer bearing cover on. Then I pulled the backing plate free of the trailing arm. The only thing still connected was the emergency brake cable. It's held in place by a retainer bolted from the back side. Once I removed the emergency brake cable, I set the backing plate aside #Sleep

The next step was to remove the stub axle. I put a block of wood against the stub axle and hammered it into the trailing arm until it was flush. I then used a brass punch to drive it the rest of the way out. I removed the outer bearing and spacers and set them aside. I removed the shock bolts from the trailing arm and upper shock mount. I won't be re-using the empi coil over shocks. All that's left inside the bearing housing is the inner bearing and seal

The inner bearing is held in place by a snap ring. The inner seal has to be removed to access the snap ring. I bought this seal removal tool.

I was able to pry the seal out easily.

I bought some snap ring pliers.

They're a little small for the snap ring, but I got it out.

I also bought some large punches.

There are two recesses in the bearing housing where the punch has clearance to contact the outer race.

With the punch against the outer race, I drove the inner bearing out with a hammer.
I tapped one side then the other (so the bearing wouldn't wedge itself) until the bearing came out.

Now, to do the other side Anxious

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Now for the right side. I followed the same steps as the left side.

Here's the trailing arm with the backing plate removed.

Here's the inner seal after I drove the stub axle out.

Here's the seal puller ready to pop the seal out.

And, back to the left side.

When I put things back together later, I want the "toe" to be about where it is now. I set a tri-square up against the trailing arm between the dual spring plates and measured to the notch on the spring plate. I measured about 3 1/8".

With the brake line removed from the trailing arm, I used a 17mm allen wrench to remove the trailing arm pivot bolt.

I used a "cheater pipe" to break the pivot bolt loose but it was REAL loose already.

I removed the four bolts that attach the trailing arm to the spring plate using 19mm wrenches.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I crawled under the car and made a hack saw mark on the inner spring plate right next to the stop. I'll need this mark later when I lay out the notch I plan to grind in the spring plate.

I bought this angle finder.

I bought this spring plate tool.

(This job can be very dangerous because the spring plate is under pressure from the torsion bar being wound up. The spring plate can come down violently like a huge mouse trap if the spring pressure isn't contained. Whatever is in the path of the spring plate, if it gets away, will be damaged. If you're going to do this job, for safety's sake, I suggest getting one of these tools)

The top hooks on a body bolt and the bottom hooks around the spring plate.

Then it's just a matter of tightening the wing nut on the spring plate tool until the spring plate is off the lower stop.

I took the four bolts out, that attach the spring plate cover, with a 15mm socket and extension. I pried the spring plate off the lower stop as I loosened the wingnut.

Once the spring plate passed by the lower stop I just loosened the wingnut all the way relieving all the torsion bar spring pressure.

With the car level side to side and level at the door sill, I set the angle finder on the spring plate. This looks like a stock torsion bar setting to me. Evidently, at some point, someone installed urethane bushings but kept the torsion bars at the stock setting.

I layed out lines on the spring plate, using my hacksaw mark as a reference, and began grinding. Here's the intended lines again, only I drew them on the inner spring plate.

I got a little carried away and ground more than the original 1/4" I had planned. I made a cardboard template that shows the 1/4" and 3/8" lines to see how much over the 1/4" I went.

I cut the template to the 3/8" line and set it on the spring plate. My grinding isn't the best but I definitely have a 3/8" notch.

I bought some urethane bushings ...

... applied some super lube ...

... and installed them.

I bought some longer "guide" bolts ( M10 x 1.50 x 50 ) to help install the spring plate cover.

I set the spring plate in place clocked one spline downward on the outer splines while leaving the torsion bar inner splines alone. This gave me around 8° of preload. I'll see how I like this setting once I drive the car around a bit.

I started the lower bolts first while raising the spring plate. The top front bolt is a hard one because the fenderwell gets in the way of the spring plate cover until the spring plate is pushed in a bit. Once I got the spring plate pressed in, by tightening the lower bolts, I pried the top of the cover in far enough to get the top bolts started. I tightened all the bolts down until the stock bolts would reach. Then I started replacing the long bolts with the stock bolts one by one.

I bought some anti-seize.

I anti-seized the spring plate cover bolts and torqued them to 32 ft/lbs. I checked the angle again. I gained about 3° by notching the spring plates 3/8".

The left side is now done. This marks the point where I'm actually done tearing things apart and I'm putting the car back together. Dancing

Last edited by Dark Earth on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Great thread. First time I’ve seen a spring plate tool. It’s great how you are posting all the tools etc along the way. Keep it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Bock wrote:
Great thread. First time I’ve seen a spring plate tool. It’s great how you are posting all the tools etc along the way. Keep it up.

Thanks Bock !!

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Yeah...Well done!

Something to add to this is that before you jack the car up or do anything else to even start the job:
- Sit the car on flat level ground.
- Measure the angle of the spring plates the way the car sits.
- Measure the height of the car off the ground from a place like the bottom edge of the body shell just under where the bottom front of the rear fender meets the running board channel.
- Then jack up the back from the center, like under the motor mount carrier, until the car sits the way you want it to sit after your done.
- Re-measure the angle of the spring plates with the the car jacked to that height.
- And re-measure the height of the car off the ground from that same place you used before.

This will let you know how much you want to "lift" the car, and how many degrees you want to rotate the spring plate on the torsion to get that lift.

Say for instance, the spring plate angle with the car sitting is -1°, which is "sagged". The axle end of the spring plate is a little higher than the torsion bar end. Say then that you want 3" of "lift". Then with the car jacked up, the angle of the spring plate is, say...10°. Then you should in that case add 11° to the angle of your spring plate when it's off the stop.

That is just numbers plucked out of the air having not actually done this for a while. They're not from actual calculations or anything like that.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.

Last edited by dustymojave on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Yeah...Well done!

Something to add to this is that before you jack the car up or do anything else to even start the job:
- Sit the car on flat level ground.
- Measure the angle of the spring plates the way the car sits.
- Measure the height of the car off the ground from a place like the bottom edge of the body shell just under where the bottom front of the rear fender meets the running board channel.
- Then jack up the back from the center, like under the motor mount carrier, until the car sits the way you want it to sit after your done.
- Re-measure the angle of the spring plates with the the car jacked to that height.
- And re-measure the height of the car off the ground from that same place you used before.

This will let you know how much you want to "lift" the car, and how many degrees you want to rotate the spring plate on the torsion to get that lift.

Say for instance, the spring plate angle with the car sitting is -3°, which is "sagged". The axle end of the spring plate is a little higher than the torsion bar end. Say then that you want 3" of "lift". Then with the car jacked up, the angle of the spring plate is, say...11°. Then you should in that case add 14° to the angle of your spring plate when it's off the stop.

That is just numbers plucked out of the air having not actually done this for a while. They're not from actual calculations or anything like that.

Thanks dustymojave !! Thanks for all the additional tips. Spot on as usual Smile

geno1950
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Where did you purchase the spring plate tool?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

geno1950 wrote:
Where did you purchase the spring plate tool?

I bought it from nexgen offroad

http://www.nexgenoffroad.com/product-p/000116.htm

Only, I bought it off their eBay store.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Now for the right side.

The initial angle reading, with the spring plate off the stop, was 13.5° ( the left side was 16.9° at this point )

I did the same thing on the right side as the left, setting the spring plate in place clocked one spline downward on the outer splines leaving the torsion bar inner splines alone. This time I got a different result.

The angle finder read 21.6° and my target was 24.7° to match the left side. So, I needed to preload the torsion bar approximately 3.1° more.

Using the following info ...

The chart shows that if I want to add 9° of preload I just rotate the torsion bar one spline on the inner end, or, if I want to add 8° 10' I'd just clock the spring plate one spline down. But, what if I need to add less than 9° or 8° 10' ( I needed 3.1°)? Well, in that case I'd need to rotate the torsion bar inner splines (counter clockwise on the right side) and also dial back the spring plate an equal number of splines.

Here's the left torsion bar before I did anything ( For comparison ).

And, here's the right torsion bar before I did anything.

According to the chart, I needed to rotate the right torsion bar four inner splines ( counter clockwise on the right side ), so that's what I did.

Then, I just installed the spring plate dialed back ( clockwise on the right side ) four splines.

All that's left now is to take the spring plate back off, grind a 3/8" notch in it, install it just like I did on the left side, and this job is done. Dancing

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I'm finally finished with the spring plate re-indexing project.

Here's a pic of the angle finder sitting on the drivers side door sill.

Here's the finished right side.

The right side spring plate angle, on the stop, matches the left side Dancing

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

You're doing great and writing a pretty good story on how to do it too.

Well done!
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
You're doing great and writing a pretty good story on how to do it too.

Well done!

Thanks dustymojave !! I want to help others like I've been helped by you guys.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I bought a hook and rod stop kit.

This kit comes with different length upper and lower hooks.

The first step is to drill holes in the beam and tack the rod in place. The rod gets placed centered on the beam front to rear, but not centered between the upper and lower tubes. I plan to weld the longer hooks to the upper trailing arms.

Since the hooks would overlap each other, while laying out where the rod goes, I've decided to swap the lower hook to the inside so both the upper and lower hooks contact the rod simultaneously, without touching each other, for layout purposes only.

Once I get the rod tacked in place, I'll be able to tack the hooks to the trailing arms clocked to contact the rod about 1/4" before the ball joints bind at the upper and lower limits of travel. Anxious

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I have to say. ..wow! Quite a re-build thread you got here. ..your attention to detail is evident that you plan to keep the baja for a while. ..you have mad fab skills as well. ..since you are trying to preserve the baja and are looking to prevent rust from returning, may I suggest Monstaliner chassis saver?...I will be doing my entire frame with this product and will be doing the entire body in a tough no scratch bedliner color, Predator..they have many colors choices. ..I chose to use this product for many reasons, I drive off road, I will be driving through brush and branches. ..and I didn't want to make it look so pretty that I didn't want to take it off road and be afraid to mess up the new paint job Shocked
http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_pricing.htm

It's funny when you only want to JUST paint the car and end up into a full restoration Laughing
I will be watching for more to come Cool

VeeWeeman
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
I have to say. ..wow! Quite a re-build thread you got here. ..your attention to detail is evident that you plan to keep the baja for a while. ..you have mad fab skills as well. ..since you are trying to preserve the baja and are looking to prevent rust from returning, may I suggest Monstaliner chassis saver?...I will be doing my entire frame with this product and will be doing the entire body in a tough no scratch bedliner color, Predator..they have many colors choices. ..I chose to use this product for many reasons, I drive off road, I will be driving through brush and branches. ..and I didn't want to make it look so pretty that I didn't want to take it off road and be afraid to mess up the new paint job Shocked
http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_pricing.htm

It's funny when you only want to JUST paint the car and end up into a full restoration Laughing
I will be watching for more to come Cool

VeeWeeman

Thanks VeeWeeman !! I've been following your thread too. Talk about mad fab skills. The pedal assembly turned out nice !!

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Hey Hey, if you keep a good tolerance, you'll have a great spare set of wire cutters on the trail if someone needs some emergency wiring repair.

That's a great redundant design for the hook and rods, looks amazing!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:

Hey Hey, if you keep a good tolerance, you'll have a great spare set of wire cutters on the trail if someone needs some emergency wiring repair.

That's a great redundant design for the hook and rods, looks amazing!

Thanks pullstart !! My hook and rod install will end up looking just like every other set up when I'm finished. The drawings are just to show the relationship between the hooks and rod. It's hard for me to visualize sometimes, so I just made some drawings on paint.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: