Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan glove box
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Another interior modification on my list: getting a real glove box in place, if possible (2002 Weekender).

Came across these on some "build" post here, then in this ad:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1867756

Are these OEM cubbies, or third-party? (I'm thinking they are OEM; may even be a stupid question). I didn't realize that knee bolster was removable (thought it was airbag-related), so excited to see that maybe it is.

These cubbies seem like a solid step in the right direction, BUT... does anyone make a real, conventional glove box, with a door?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

The knee bolster is a unique feature of the US/Canada models. These cubbies are the real deal as used in "soft dash" European models -- made in Germany.

Here's the installation instructions: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650640&highlight=cubby

You do also have the option to to fit the glovebox from a shortnose van ("hard dash") - but it requires trimming down the dash and the color is a bit different.

There is an extra rare glovebox with door for the late model vans (soft dash) -- and its found on the top end "business-class" vans. Its a very-very desirable, and hard to find part, even in Germany. Basically its what German T4 drivers dream of upgrading to. Laughing
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Excellent, @Itsamoto -- thank you very much! Answered many of my questions all at once!

I'm may have have to buy one or two of these... perhaps one to install, and one to play with. Very Happy Just looking at the cubby, it seems like a door and hinge frame insert part could be designed for it post-facto. Would have to see it first-hand to try it though.

I'd love to see one of those "business class" gloveboxes. Smile

Thanks again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Ha if I'd have known there were instructions that thing would've gone been mounted in 5 minutes instead of 10!!! My wife loves it and has already filled it with stuff!
Ivan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Yes it takes longer to read through the instructions than to do the job. Laughing
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
Yes it takes longer to read through the instructions than to do the job. Laughing

Are these dash cubby-boxes available-- and where?? Weren't any links above except the deleted ad for one single unit. I'd love some kind of storage there.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2101785
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Yes I have many to pick from -- you can email me for details.
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

[quote="Gruppe B"]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2101785[/quote

it was my ad and this one just sold but I should have one more in the same price.
Westfalia James Cook 2.9TD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Awesome upgrade. I bought and installed one of these and we love it. We were just discussing on our recent road trip that we probably prefer this open cubby over a conventional glove box.

Highly recommended!
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
We were just discussing on our recent road trip that we probably prefer this open cubby over a conventional glove box.

Why do you prefer the open cubby over a conventional glove box? I’m curious. (I would think most people would prefer the latter.)
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Having a 93 and not having the drivers side door locking compartment, I like being able to lock a few things in the glove box.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
markcm2 wrote:
We were just discussing on our recent road trip that we probably prefer this open cubby over a conventional glove box.

Why do you prefer the open cubby over a conventional glove box? I’m curious. (I would think most people would prefer the latter.)

Ultimately it's probably just a preference thing. While road tripping we were talking about the options and since we had a 93 with the glove box before this 01 with the cubby it came up and neither of us missed the conventional box. Probably because we use the space for frequently accessed items like sunglasses, snacks, park passes, phones... more of a quick access shelf than a short/long term storage/stash location. And my wife is a cleaner/organizer so it stays tidy.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

I can see the later cubbie being handy though seeing that the other 3 molded in dash cubbies were taken away, that existed on the 93 aside from the glove box. The dashes do also swap by the way, physically.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

I actually prefer the open glove boxes on the Vanagons, as well. My van has a lockable storage bin in the driver door for stuff I don't want easy access to, or prying eyes to see.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Interesting feedback, all -- thanks.

The later Eurovans are so generally storage-starved IMO (especially up front), I'm keen to understand what people prefer up there and why. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the full glove box over the cubby, but I have both now and intend to install each in our two separate vans to see if that holds true in actual use.

Either way: ANYTHING would be an improvement over that hard, space-devouring "knee bolster". Brick wall

From a design/manufacturing perspective, the cubby is a MUCH simpler project than the glove box. I didn't realize so many people would actually prefer a cubby to the glove box. Very interesting. Noting that, too.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

I would really really like to have a cubby on either side of the steering column. The early models had these, but I've heard that the one on the right won't work on late models.

I had under dash trays on my '67 Split and '72 Fastback, and they were extremely useful for stashing all sorts of items I used regularly.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I would really really like to have a cubby on either side of the steering column. The early models had these, but I've heard that the one on the right won't work on late models.

The right side steering cubby is attached to the main dash. The left side is the fuse and relay cover, so it should hinge on the same.

Again I’m fairly certain that the black center console area is the same on early vs late. Again, the whole dash definately interchanges though. You’d have to lose the passenger airbag though. I’ve seen an early model with a later model dash. I’m sure it could go the other way. I’ve seen a few early cluster and trim in later model vans. Just info for someone who wants some retro custom, with lots of pockets.
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

Came across this very different image of a Glove Box that has the shape of the knee bar that most people want to switch out. Looks like a much better fit than trying to put the old 93-95 box.

Anyone know the origins of the glove box? Maybe a Slavic model?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan glove box Reply with quote

HeyCrutch wrote:
Came across this very different image of a Glove Box that has the shape of the knee bar that most people want to switch out. Looks like a much better fit than trying to put the old 93-95 box.

Anyone know the origins of the glove box? Maybe a Slavic model?

Possibly custom built. OEM parts show there is a box, but I don't see spares around. I see its part number here:
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/transporter/tr/2002-230/8/857-857025/

glove compartment for padded dashboard stowage compartment

1- 705 857 102 - glove compartment
- 705857102 B41 - satin black
4- N 90241203 - fillister hd. bolt - M4X20
5- N 90282501 - speed nut - M4X13X11,5
7- 1H0 857 133 - sealing bearing
- 1H0857133 01C - satin black
11- 1H0 857 113 - lock cylinders
12- see illustration: 837-00
15- 705 857 120 - glove compartment lid
705857120 8EL - mistral (grey)
705857120 8HS - lagoon
17- 867 857 944 - coin holder
18- N 0200321 - bungs
19- 357 857 131 - catch
20- N 90130801 - fillister hd. bolt - E 4.2X16.
21- 705 857 149 - actuator
- 705857149 041 - black
22- 705 857 152 - trim
- 705857152 041 - black
25- 191 857 169 - hinge pin
30- 705 857 924 - tray
- 705857924 2HP - lagoon
- 705857924 6EK - mistral (grey)
- 7D0 858 578 - insert for stowage box
- 7D0858578 E91 - mistral (grey)
- 7D0858578 J51 - lagoon
32- N 90486501 - fillister hd. bolt - M4X30
33- N 90282501 - speed nut - M4X13X11,5
34 357 857 958 A - cover cap
- 357857958A E91 - mistral (grey)
- 357857958A J51 - lagoon
35- N 90404701 - hexagon head bolt (combi) - M5X22
36- N 90356203 - speed nut - M5X16,6X17

Last edited by Joshwa on Tue May 23, 2023 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: