Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how can I remove fuel?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

I will be shipping my '87 Vanagon to Maui next week by barge. There is a requirement to have less than 1/4 tank of gas in the tank. I just filled up last week and need to remove about eight gallons. Is there a way to drain fuel from the tank by siphon or a fitting?

Another solution is to disable the fuel gauge and ship the Vanagon as is. From the Bentley wiring diagram I see that the fuel gauge sending unit has a ground near the Digifant control unit. I assume that I cannot disconnect that ground without disabling the ECU. Or is it a separate ground? If so, where?

Reply by PM if you think that posting a public reply is inadvisable.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

All you have to do is clamp off the fuel line where it comes into the engine bay.
Remove the line from a connection.
Put the line into a container.

Disconnect the + and - from the fuel pump.
Use jumpers from another battery to the pump after removing the clamp.

The fuel will be pumped to the container.
What2do
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

Put a container under the fuel filter, disconnect the pipe from the tank and drain away - simple.
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

Why not just got for a nice drive today? Find a good spot, have some dinner, and drive back.

Easiest solution in my book is to clamp the fuel hose between the tank and fuel pump. Disconnect from the pump and open the clamp to let it drain into a jerry can. Make sure you keep the clamp handy to stop the flow of fuel once the can is full.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

Disconnect the gauge so that it reads empty. Wink
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

Get one of these from a FLAPS and use it to lower the fuel level in the tank. Keep it in the bus for use later when you or someone else needs it. Very Happy

https://www.iowa80.com/pd/magic-siphon/00198/?item...hgod7OsEOg

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Disconnect the gauge so that it reads empty. Wink

I thought of that, but where do I disconnect it?

Tom Powell wrote:
Another solution is to disable the fuel gauge and ship the Vanagon as is. From the Bentley wiring diagram I see that the fuel gauge sending unit has a ground near the Digifant control unit. I assume that I cannot disconnect that ground without disabling the ECU. Or is it a separate ground? If so, where?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

I also live on the islands.
Rules are put in place for a reason.
Please drain the fuel.

We have had enough petroleum spilled into the oceans.

Thank you very much Exclamation
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
I also live on the islands.
Rules are put in place for a reason.
Please drain the fuel.

We have had enough petroleum spilled into the oceans.

Thank you very much Exclamation

I certainly wouldn't want my Vanagon going over the side of the barge in the Molokai channel.

I was told by a Young Brothers employee that it was for fire reasons. That does not make sense to me because a quarter fuel tank can be explosive and a full tank flammable. But, maybe it was the source of the information.

My preference is to drain or use the fuel.

Aloha
tp
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's more for spillage in heavy seas than fire per se.

Fuel leaks on vessels is a serious business.

Drive it or pump into a five gallon can, please.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: how can I remove fuel? Reply with quote

Advertise free gas on Craigslist and tell the first responder and subsequent responders that you have responded to 10 people already and told them it is first come, first served. You will have someone there within 15 minutes and they will drain the tank dry for you. My favorite is free scrap metal. We never send any metal to the recycler, we save it and when the pile starts to get unmanageable I put an ad up on craigslist and we place wagers on how long before it is claimed. 5 minutes is the record. You can even put certain conditions on the deal. Have the repondant sing a verse from Annie, like It's a hard knock life for me.. Or perhaps you are more a dance afficiando.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: