Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

Okay let's try this again...

After failing to hit the road last summer followed by months of negotiations and compromises on the part of all parties and several major projects completed, we're heading north for three weeks next month. Two adults, two daughters, two mountain bikes, two inflatable stand up paddleboards, various and sundry camping accoutrements, and one heavily-loaded Vanagon.

We're spending the 4th of July weekend in Jackson Hole, then Grand Teton for a couple of days for my daughter's 13th birthday, then north to Glacier (Fish Creek) and Banff (Two Jack Lake.)

I have reservations at all places (some camp, some hotel) up to Banff, then we're winging it for a week to get back to Denver.

Granted, I won't believe any of this is happening until we're at least a hundred miles from home, but I gotta plan it like it's real.

As usual, I have a few final tweaks to take care of with the van and we're doing our traditional weekend of Widespread Panic at Red Rocks in a few weeks, but then we're hitting the road.

Hope to see some Vanagons on the road and look forward to seeing new faces and places. We've been as far north as Yellowstone, but haven't really been to Montana so we're really looking forward to it.

I must get to this spot. It's been on my desktop for three years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Credit: https://bentleywhitman.wordpress.com/page/7/)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com

Last edited by joetiger on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

Heading out on Saturday morning. We have a reservation at State Forest State Park en route to Jackson Hole; hoping we don't hit too much smoke from the Beaver Creek (not the ski resort) fire. Otherwise, it's Jackson-Teton-Bozeman-Glacier-Banff, points in between, and an open slate for the trip back down.

I've fumigated the Vanagon from its weekend full of Red Rocks fun, and now we're packing, reducing, packing again. Need to do an oil change and go over the van again front-to-back.

I've printed off all of the great suggestions that were offered when we planned this trip last year and am excited to explore a bit of Montana and BC/Alberta.

Very much looking forward to getting on the road and hope to run into some of you folks!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

Sounds like fun! We will need lots of pics... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

That is a fairly epic trip you have planned. I am sure you will have a blast.

Some advice (unsolicited, and likely not needed at all, but sometimes we all need reminders Very Happy ).

Be flexible, don't push yourself, and enjoy the ride.
    Be willing to change plans some due to parks being busy, weather crappy, etc.
    Watch for the wildlife! (both off and on the road) This includes locals and other tourists. It's hard to drive straight when you can't stop looking up at the view!

Take some pictures for us! I really wish I had spend more time in glacier last time I was there. It was CRAZY busy at the end of the season, there was almost no parking at the entrance, much less at the top of Going to the Sun road...
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

If you plan on hiking from the top of the Going-to-the-Sun road, do yourself a favor and take the shuttle bus. Using the busses allows you to have a nice one way mainly downhill hike with a 50/50 chance of seeing grizzly bears. Driving and parking your own rig means you double back uphill to get it and miss out on a lot of the hike.

Parking is very limited up there. You can drive over the pass and down the other side, but trying to park on top is frustrating.

Oh and Jackson on the 4th of July is a zoo.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

Great advice, thank you. Keeping it looser than I usually do on a long trip.

I also take my own advice when it comes to National Parks--Be willing to get up at 5 AM while the coach-riders are sleeping in order to have the park to yourself. It's worked for us at Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and a couple of others.

Microbusdeluxe wrote:

That's what I hear...We're staying in a hotel on the 3rd and 4th and hanging out with local friends so we're hoping to make the most of it.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I also take my own advice when it comes to National Parks--Be willing to get up at 5 AM while the coach-riders are sleeping in order to have the park to yourself. It's worked for us at Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and a couple of others.

Very good idea. The challenge can be getting to sleep at a reasonable hour, especially with the random loudmouths who seem to think they have the park all to themselves...

If all else fails hiking a few miles up a trail or paddling across a lake will usually get you well clear of most tourists/visitors. Cool

Tourist watching can prove highly entertaining. Just try to laugh discretely. Shocked
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:

Tourist watching can prove highly entertaining. Just try to laugh discretely. Shocked

Always keep a touron in between you and bison or bears. It's easy because they try to get a close-up with their tiny camera.

I once almost got a great shot of one being gored by a bison. I figured I could use it in seminars and give a copy to NPS.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
MidwestDrifter wrote:

Always keep a touron in between you and bison or bears. It's easy because they try to get a close-up with their tiny camera.

I once almost got a great shot of one being gored by a bison. I figured I could use it in seminars and give a copy to NPS.

I personally enjoy watching German visitors on national park trails, fully decked out in appropriate trekking gear, glancing disgustedly at Americans in flip-flops and Affliction t-shirts.

And, a dude in a Texas A&M shirt just barely avoided getting mauled by a male grizzly on the side of the road in Yellowstone before my very eyes once. That was pretty cool.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Merian wrote:
MidwestDrifter wrote:

I personally enjoy watching German visitors on national park trails, fully decked out in appropriate trekking gear, glancing disgustedly at Americans in flip-flops and Affliction t-shirts.

And, a dude in a Texas A&M shirt just barely avoided getting mauled by a male grizzly on the side of the road in Yellowstone before my very eyes once. That was pretty cool.

I watched in fascination as about 50 tourists surrounded a mother grizzly on the road with 2 cubs near mount Washburn in Yellowstone. They also parked there class A RVs along the road blocking it!!! I was just waiting for the mother to panic and rush them, they couldn't have been more than 40ft away in all directions. Thankfully (and boringly, a part of me wanted to see them flee in terror) a ranger showed up and cleared them away. He was quite worried by the situation actually, the stupidity of their actions sunk in at that point.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

... NY to Wyoming to canoe on Lewis Lake (was still frozen in June) at Yellowstone, in 1982. Then on to Jackson Hole, National fish Hatchery...

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

I'm in Jackson hole but didn't plan on it. What's everybody doing for the weekend of the 4th? I'm fishing and going to the rodeo on the 4th but would love to hear more options.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

Be bear aware out there!

http://www.adn.com/nation-world/2016/06/30/grizzly...onal-park/
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

Westy1999 wrote:
I'm in Jackson hole but didn't plan on it. What's everybody doing for the weekend of the 4th? I'm fishing and going to the rodeo on the 4th but would love to hear more options.

Not a clue. Staying in a motel downtown on the 3rd and 4th and seeing what's up. We have some friends there who have invited us to hang out at some point, but otherwise we're planning on general tourism, i.e. putting money into the local economy.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

joetiger, Try to fit in the drive out the Northeast corner of Yellowstone, thru Cook City and over Beartooth Pass. You can do it on your way back. It's above timberline with lots of lakes. The road was built by the Park Service to be a an impressive scenic entrance into Yellowstone. You won't be disappointed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beartooth_Highway
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
joetiger, Try to fit in the drive out the Northeast corner of Yellowstone, thru Cook City and over Beartooth Pass. You can do it on your way back. It's above timberline with lots of lakes. The road was built by the Park Service to be a an impressive scenic entrance into Yellowstone. You won't be disappointed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beartooth_Highway

I'm 0-for-2 on making to the Beartooth Highway, so it's a priority this time around. We might do it on the way up between Teton and Bozeman...It's out of the way, but that's what it's all about!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

yes, x10 on cook city and the Beartooth hwy. In my mind that should be counted as part of going to yellowstone. I drive it up every year when I go up, it is an amazing area and drive.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:

Jackson is the world's largest western themed outdoor mall.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

Glacier: Drive to the sun road, awesome. Have fun....
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackson Hole, Teton, Glacier, Banff Reply with quote

16 days, 3,700 miles, zero mechanical issues, and a whole lot of pictures. I'll do a full trip report tomorrow after a whole lot of sleep tonight.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com

Last edited by joetiger on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: