Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

1961bluebug wrote:
basically I thinkl that grooves running this way are good. In case you spill something on the mat, you will be able to brush it away very easy.

I agree. This weekend I cleaned the interior a bit and was able to just sweep everything out with the grooves running that way. Worked like a charm.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Finally started getting the window seals replaced yesterday. I started with the one that leaked the most, probably about half a gallon each day it rained. I got my new seal from wolfsburg west and I have to say that the quality seemed very nice and I think I will continue to use them for the rest of the seals. When I removed the old window and seal I was pleasantly surprised to find only a very small amount of surface rust. I sanded down these areas and gave them a coat of por15 followed by a topcoat of some rust stop spray paint. I used weed wacker line for the install of the window as suggested by Chris Vallone. With the help of my girlfriend slapping the window from the outside, we had it in in no time and it looks good! I'm pumped to not have to lay out towels in the back every time it rains.

I also found the one missing piece of window trim for the long rear window on west coast metric so I think that window will be next. The journey continues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

This past few weeks has been super busy with working on the bus getting ready for Kelley Park last weekend. I don't really have much to share on here though as it seems that most everything I did was really minor or it was just finishing up the jobs that I had got "good enough" before. Anyways, Kelley Park was awesome and I'm wishing I was at Madera Spring Fling right now but work got in the way this time. Heres a picture of my bus courtesy of Everett

This past week I went ahead and got another window seal in. I think I'm going to try to do one a week until it's done. Then I can finally start on the interior Very Happy This time around I did the rear long window on the passenger side. My old seal for this window was missing the trim and I finally found the missing trim on line. Now I have all the trim on this thing! This seal was pretty straight forward to do as well. Old seal cut, any rust dealt with (it was pretty minor again), and new seal and window installed. By the end of doing all of these I think I'll be a pro and my girlfriend and I should open up a window business hahaha. Here's some pics

Condition of old seal:

New seal lookin sharp:

Before and after difference:

I also was missing one of the retaining springs for one of the fresh air vent levers so I got one of those with my seal from WW

Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I've seen you drive over the hill a few times now. I live off summit.
Also saw you in Santa Cruz a few weeks ago. Honked at you when you were at the gas station.

https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Vova wrote:

That thing is sweet! You should go to the aircooled show at Shoreline middle school over here on the 13th. I' planning on going but I'll probably just park on the street since registration at the gate is $40 Laughing
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
Vova wrote:

That thing is sweet! You should go to the aircooled show at Shoreline middle school over here on the 13th. I' planning on going but I'll probably just park on the street since registration at the gate is $40 Laughing

Let me know. If I'm in town I'll Cruz over...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Did something today that I should have done a loooonnngggg time ago. It was really difficult to unlock my driver's side door from the outside with the key. In fact, when I got the bus, the original key was broken off in the lock. All this time I've either been getting in the thing through the slider and I finally got sick of it enough to go and pull out the locking mechanism from the door. Turns out I was missing one of the springs in the lock. I went over the the local hardware store and grabbed the spring that I though best fit the job, cleaned and greased every thing all up and put it back in the door. Now it locks and unlocks like BUTTER.

Pictures for your viewing pleasure:

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I just did that with my passenger door! Best thing I have done for my bus yet. ... well... that probably isn't true, but it was really really good and satisfying.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Need to do this...
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Vova wrote:
Need to do this...

Yeah you do. Its absolutely life changing
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
Vova wrote:
Need to do this...

Yeah you do. Its absolutely life changing

Ha ha ha you've seen me trying to pick the bus...
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
Did something today that I should have done a loooonnngggg time ago. It was really difficult to unlock my driver's side door from the outside with the key. In fact, when I got the bus, the original key was broken off in the lock. All this time I've either been getting in the thing through the slider and I finally got sick of it enough to go and pull out the locking mechanism from the door. Turns out I was missing one of the springs in the lock. I went over the the local hardware store and grabbed the spring that I though best fit the job, cleaned and greased every thing all up and put it back in the door. Now it locks and unlocks .

You motivated me. Took mine apart and luckily my spring was still there. Everything was just crusty and gummed up. Cleaned it up and hit it with PB Blaster then some grease and it works like new. Now to do the other side...
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Vova wrote:
You motivated me. Took mine apart and luckily my spring was still there. Everything was just crusty and gummed up. Cleaned it up and hit it with PB Blaster then some grease and it works like new. Now to do the other side...

Awesome! It's a great feeling unlocking that door with a key and not looking like you're trying to break into your own car.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Well my generator took a shit on me last week. Tested it, nothin. Tried re-polarizing it, nothin. I didn't really mind though since I've been itching to do an alternator conversion on the thing lately but I just couldn't justify taking out a good generator. After that, I had no problem doing it. I was also happy to do this because my fan occasionally rubbed on the transmission side of the fan. Now I could remedy this problem. The rubbing had just about worn through all of one of the rows of tabs on the fan so I welded all those together and cleaned up the fan and gave it some fresh paint. There was some crazy shims going on with the fan so I put all that right and what do ya know, it doesn't rub. The Bosch AL82 alternator went in smoothly and looks good in the engine compartment. Only little hiccup was that carb. I got a spacer for it so the accelerator pump could clear the alternator. It didn't give enough clearance so I had to modify the linkage a bit, but now I don't need the spacer and it clears everything just fine.

Alternator wiring

Linkage clearance

Eye candy

Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

What did that set you back? My gen light has been going on so I might be swapping as well.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Vova wrote:
What did that set you back? My gen light has been going on so I might be swapping as well.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/9444.html?gclid=CJar0fqJ89MCFQ6dfgod1GcN6w

I got this kit off of jbugs
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Nothing real special to update y'all on but I made one of these bad boys today with some scrap metal lying around. It's going to make it a whole hell of a lot easier to jack up this pig.

And yeah, it's gold Cool

Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Nice bling.
Bring that beast up the hill this weekend.
http://www.blessingofthehotrods.com
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
I got the new svda distributor the other day and installed it. I've been driving around with it for the past two days and I would say that it is the best money I've spent on the bus so far. It drives so much better and just runs happier in general. The dizzy not being an original bosch unit, I decided to take it all apart before installing it to inspect for any flaws or things quality control didn't catch. Everything looked good so I reassembled it and oiled it up. Everything fit nice and I have no complaints thus far, and yes I put a loop in the vacuum line so that gas doesn't get into the vacuum diaphragm. And now I have an extra distributor that I know works to keep as a spare in the bus.

I fawking hate the 009 on my bus. Did the svda make that much of a difference?
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I'll try and stop by! But regarding the svda, it's a godsent. Wish I had an original svda but the one I got, with pertronix 2 in it, is great. No complaints and that flat spot is GONE. What carb do you have? Might want to try a 30 pict as another option with that 009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: