Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Sketchworm wrote:
Rad build bro! I'm new to the forum, jus got me an early bay last month. Definitely following this thread, very very informative! Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks man, and congrats on the bay! I hope to see some pictures of your progress on here!
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Big update! I've been SUPER busy working on the bus lately and a lot of progress has been made on the back end of the bus. I've been working on the engine and trans raise, as well as the rear bag setup and rear wheel tubs. Not everything is done yet but it's all coming along quickly.

First thing I got down on was the engine and trans raise. I ended up doing a 2.5" raise while still utilizing the stock bay window nose cone. I fabbed up a new mustache bar that uses some universal puck style mounts instead of the stock style mounts. The bar somewhat resembles the style of the later bay mustache bars. For the trans mount I flipped the original mount and extended it to reach the stock mounting holes in the torsion housing. To get the shift rod to line up, I used some super nice and sturdy u-joints. Initially there was a bit of slop shift because of the nose cone bushing and seal. I replaced those and now it shifts better than it did before everything. I also had to extend the tube part of the bowden tube bracket to reach the bowden tube. I am now using a slightly longer clutch cable from a late bay to reach the clutch lever. Last up for the trans raise in the engine tin. Pretty easy for this part. I just put the engine back in and made the tin to fit around the engine to seal up well. This part isn't finish welded yet but will be once I finish everything else. I didn't want to run out of gas in the middle of something more crucial. Heres some pic from the trans raise:

Here's the new mustache bar
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Modified trans mount

Shift linkage with u-joints

Installed

The clearance gained

And the modified engine tin

Next up I started working on the rear bag setup.
I started off by making some torsion eliminators out of the old spring plates.

I also modified the ends of the torsion housing so that the lowest mounting hole was in line with the adjacent one so that it could sit a bit lower.

Then I started working on the trailing arms and adding the lower bag mounts to them.

This is how much the rear end is able to tuck the wheels

And here are the rear bags in with the upper mount also installed. The upper mounts for the bags are connected to a tube that runs across to either frame rail.

Currently I'm working on finishing up the rear tubs. After I finish the driver side tub I can't put the rear seat back in (which has all the air management and compressors in it) so that I can air everything back up and start driving around again. Then I'll just have the other tub to finish, make some new shock mounts, finish welding the engine tin, and install the height sensors so that I can finally use the height presets function on the accuair that makes it a super easy operation.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

What are you doing about exhaust ground clearance? Sorry if it was mentioned a page or so back but I just found this thread!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
What are you doing about exhaust ground clearance?

With the motor and trans raise and using a stock style exhaust with modified turn down tips, the exhaust is level with the engine and bumper. Doesn’t hang down at all
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Nice work. What is that tie rod end off of? Looks pretty beefy (similar sizing to my f150, maybe bigger.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Nice work. What is that tie rod end off of? Looks pretty beefy (similar sizing to my f150, maybe bigger.

Thanks! They are 3/4" teflon lined rod ends that usually would go on the custom lower arms of 4x4's
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Looks rad! I need to do a trans raise in my bus, too. How much room do you have over the fanshroud?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Omg I’m an idiot.... I meant tailpipe clearance of the bumper, not exhaust clearance off the ground.. Laughing

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Looks rad! I need to do a trans raise in my bus, too. How much room do you have over the fanshroud?

From the top of the shroud to the top of the sheet metal I have 3/4"

asiab3 wrote:
Omg I’m an idiot.... I meant tailpipe clearance of the bumper, not exhaust clearance off the ground.. Laughing

Hahahaha. I have 90 degree turn downs the turn right out of the muffler. Loads of room from anything.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Gotcha. The split window bus 1500s used the same stock muffler as us, but their tailpipe had a 2.5 to 3 inch drop built in; I was wondering if that would work in your situation, or if the bay window geometry wouldn’t allow it.

Robbie
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

This bus is all kinds of awesome. Nice work on all the fabrication.

I really like what you did with the tach, refacing it to match the OG speedo. Going to note that one for my build Cool
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Finished up the rear tubs the other day. I think they turned out pretty killer.
Heres some pics of them.

Welded in, prepped for seam sealer

Seam sealed

Painted in neptune blue

Engine side of them painted black

And here's the inside of them, finished with some canned truck bed liner

Also had to make some lower shock mount extensions so that the suspension can compress all thew way.

And to top it off, I finished welding the modified valance and painted it. I still have to finish welding the side engine seal holders but I'm leaving that for another day.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

WE HAVE LANDED.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Really enjoying this thread. Great work!
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

metz wrote:
Really enjoying this thread. Great work!

Thank you!
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Worked a little bit on the interior the other day. As much as I love doing all the figuring and math and templating and designing for all the suspension work, it was really nice to just do some work that involved very little thought and didn't require and angle grinder or a welder. I made the long interior panel out of the same wood as the previous ones. Nothing really special but it's nice to see the interior slowly taking shape. Debating on whether on not to put in an ash tray by the rear seat.

On a side note, I've been working the the westy seat since the driver's side hinge will no longer work with the larger tubs. I'm pretty sure that I will be able to modify it while still retaining full functionality.
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Incredible...I love a tubbed, bagged bus.
A special place in the church of the lowered for you sir!
Hoodride for life
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
WE HAVE LANDED.

Well!!! That's one way to keep the assholes from stealing it. Laughing

Great job.

I raised my Ghia 5", they might be the same height now. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Not my cup 'o tea, but nice work. Best of luck to you. Cool

-dasdachshund
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

For an update, I've been driving the bus around everywhere since I finished and it rides so well. If just the pure look of it didn't make all the work so far worth it, the ride quality definitely does. As soon as I get a chance to install those height sensors it will be a no worries, no guessing operation. The reason why a haven't just thrown them on yet is because they take a fair bit of figuring and testing and figuring and testing to install correctly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 17

Jump to: