Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

HAHAHA. That might be the case lol. I could probably get them to stick together, just might not be pretty Laughing Good idea though, hadn't thought of that. If I can find a cheap mat at one of the two swap meets this weekend I might have to give it a try.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I cut the mat and threw it on there. I think I can dig it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Looks like VW made it that way Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

With your fab skills, you could make a sick cup holder/stash spot for the front of that tunnel. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing. Contemplating if I would put it up front where I have the cb radio in the picture, or on top of the doghouse and have it mount using the top four bolts so I can take it on and off when I please.

I've never owned a car that has had cupholders so it seems like blasphemy to put cupholders in an old German vehicle (but chopping them up and bagging them doesn't). Interesting internal battle here lol
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Hahaha that’s good. I enjoy my Plug N Chug, probably my #1 used accessory besides my radio. Once you have the cup holders...........

Rkbbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Here comes a long due update on the bus. As I was talking about before I have been working on a new engine for the bus. To be specific, I've been working on a 1968cc engine. The combination that makes this size is a 74mm stroker crank with 92mm pistons and cylinders. I went with 92mm thick wall cylinders because they are super thick, thicker than the stock ones, which are good for the heat that the extra load a bus creates for the engine compared to a bug. Everything in the rotating assembly was stack balanced and all of the reciprocating parts were balanced to each other. I used a stock weight flywheel (drilled for the 8-dowel crank). If you have any questions about any other components I used and why I used them, just shoot me a pm. Here's comes a massive photo dump of some of the process.

First thing I did with the new as41 case was to change the brazilian oil pickup for a german one (brazilian is grey and the german is the black one). I also ending up having to clearance the case for the larger stoke (not shown here).

Then I drilled and tapped for full flow and smoothed out the transition in the fitting since I was bored waiting for other parts.

Lifter grooves cut

Oil pump inlet rounded over to have a better path to full face of the gears

Breather box template

First mock up

Checking deck height determining the amount of shim needed (started with a positive deck)

Short block assembly

Long block assembly

Figuring out rocker geometry (solid rocker shafts used in final assembly btw)

Had a little mishap when my girlfriend was helping be transfer the engine from a stand to a dolly less than a foot away. Of course the mishap happened then and not when we carried it from my room to the backyard, even down stairs, lol d'oh!
Luckily I didn't have the pushrods installed!

Full flow lines fitment around mustache bar and headers

Oxygen sensor installed for dialing in the jetting

Almost done

The final product all installed!

Took the bus on its first excursion with the new engine this week. The girlfriend and I went camping in Butano State park again. I was doing tuning along the way and was able to get a lot dialed in. The way there was far from flawless but on the way back home there weren't really any issues, although there is still some room for improvement.

Somewhere on hwy 1

At the campsite. I bet your all stock westy camper can't level itself at the campsite can it? :2gunfire:

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

So cool. Engine build looks great. How much hp were you aiming at?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Are you saying the car levels itself left to right and front to back???

I just went from “I wanna but this guy a beer” to “I want to modify my bus now.”

Nice work!
Robbie
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Epic update. Engine looks superb! Good luck getting it fully dialled in 😊
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Wow! Man...someone needs to snap this guy up and get him his own shop.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Engine looks great! I have a few questions. Who’s heads, what crank, what.l clutch, why didn’t you a stock fan housing and did you weld the fan to withstand that belt set up?

I remember when you set up the self leveling, pretty cool! Most of us just use lynx leveling blocks.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

metz wrote:
So cool. Engine build looks great. How much hp were you aiming at?

Thanks! Your guess is as good as mine. I wasn't really considering hp when putting this together, I was really only concerned with low end torque so i can load the bus up with stuff and hit the mountain roads in 4th gear. And let me tell you, it now has no problem with that. I can accelerate in 4th up a hill with ease.

asiab3 wrote:
Are you saying the car levels itself left to right and front to back???

I just went from “I wanna but this guy a beer” to “I want to modify my bus now.”

Hell yeah it does! Stop by Santa Cruz on your tour and we can chop your shit up on the street in front of my house Laughing I'm moving on Tuesday so we can make a racket and not care if the neighbors like me lol.

richparker wrote:
Engine looks great! I have a few questions. Who’s heads, what crank, what.l clutch, why didn’t you a stock fan housing and did you weld the fan to withstand that belt set up?

Aircooled.net stock valve L3 heads that I opened up the chambers a bit and did a little bit removing the casting marks in the ports (they didn't need much at all). I went with stock valve heads because I wanted a low revving motor, not a screamer. With the smaller valves and ports, it keeps the air velocity higher down low which more or less equals more torque. This does in turn sacrifice cfm up high in the rpm's, but I'll really never be up there so it's a sacrifice that I was willing to make. For the crank I've got Kuhltek's 74mm 4340 chromoly crank. Reason for this choice being that they seem to make one of the only 4340 cranks in 74mm (everyone else seems to only make it in 4140). Didn't use the stock fan shroud for two reasons, one being I'm no longer running heat with that diesel heater that I still need to finish, and two being just being looks. And yes the fan is welded. When I got the bus, the fan spacing was off and it rubbed on the shroud and wore down the tabs on the fan veins so I had to weld it when I fixed the spacing issue.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:

lol. Yeah I'm looking for investors Laughing

I've been looking for some sort of shop space around here that's affordable. Not really a thing. I am going to have to figure something out soon though because I'm moving and the place that I'm going to is even worse for doing any kind of automotive work.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Also one more thing to anyone interested in a serpentine-style setup on their type 1 motor, I don't recommend it. After running the setup for about eight months now, it's really not worth it. I would just stick with the ol' v-belt, carry a spare, and call it a day.
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
Manfreds78bay wrote:

lol. Yeah I'm looking for investors Laughing

I've been looking for some sort of shop space around here that's affordable. Not really a thing. I am going to have to figure something out soon though because I'm moving and the place that I'm going to is even worse for doing any kind of automotive work.

That sucks! You should open a shop out of a van and call yourself the first Gorilla Mechanic. Twisted Evil

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
Also one more thing to anyone interested in a serpentine-style setup on their type 1 motor, I don't recommend it. After running the setup for about eight months now, it's really not worth it. I would just stick with the ol' v-belt, carry a spare, and call it a day.

Thank you. I've been eyeing that setup since my belt broke last year. Why dont you suggest it?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Trashman wrote:

Thank you. I've been eyeing that setup since my belt broke last year. Why dont you suggest it?

It’s my understanding that the V-Belt is designed to slip at high RPMs and the serpentine does not. Which may cause a non welded fan to explode.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

It takes awhile to get it aligned perfectly. The instructions I got with my MST setup tell you to do it wrong, which I figured out after it threw a belt. Not only do you have to get the pulleys each out the same amount, you have to make sure they are both at the same angle. I had to shim up my alternator in order to get it to be at the same angle as the crank pulley. Second, you have to get you tension pretty dead on. Since you engine grows when it's hot, the distance between the two pulleys increases, therefore tightening the belt. If you set it up at the perfect tension cold, it will be too tight when hot and cause excess wear on the tensioner bearing (as well as the alternator/generator). I learned this the hard way by the Chinese bearing supplied with the kit seizing and the belt burning itself up on the tensioner not spinning. I have since replaced the bearing with a high quality Japanese bearing. I have to run the belt pretty loose cold in order for it to be tensioned properly when warm. You also have to get the tensioner exactly perpendicular with the pulleys otherwise the belt can track in one direction and possibly track off the tensioner or into the tensioner bracket and eat up the side of the belt. All this for the hefty price tag that these kits fetch is defiantly not worth it in my opinion.

In regards to blowing up the fan, it is my understanding that it is not high rpm that blows up the fan, it is sudden accelerations of engine speeds such as a very fast, aggressive downshift. So if you aren't driving it like a race car, I think you'd be fine with an un-welded fan.

I still carry a spare serpentine belt and don't have any extra peace of mind, but people dig the way it looks when I pop the engine hatch Rolling Eyes
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Little update on that SVDA I got a couple years ago. It just recently crapped out on me. The upper shaft where it is press fit to the advance mechanism came unpressed and got wallered out so that it can no longer be fit back on. This resulted in the distributor not having any advance and being locked out at minimum advance. Luckily I had a spare 009 that I have in there now and luckily this issue didn't hurt my new engine. The 009's flat spot is much less noticeable now with the dual webers so I can tolerate driving with it. Probably going to eventually get something else but not for awhile, and it will most likely be something like a 010 or another old bosch. I could probably fix the Chinese SVDA with some welding but I'm kind of over trusting it at this point. So I guess this is more of a PSA to people about those SVDA's out there (fyi, I had the pertronix flame thrower SVDA from ACN), and for the others that already knew to stay away from them I guess you could tell me "I told you so"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: