Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

68Transporter wrote:

Colin, yes my poor bus can make it over speed bumps and up driveways with ease. I still take the thing camping as well and it does the job with no problem.

imagine that....

I drive my bus all over fucks creation with a radiator under it too. amazing, huh? Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
I dig this bus.
Really got me debating slamming mine now.

Thanks man. In regards so slamming, you're going to need a welder or a whole lot of cash. Good lowering parts aren't cheap for a bay.
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

68Transporter wrote:
Vova wrote:
Great looking bus.
I live off Summit Rd and 17. When my bus is road worthy id like to come by and take a look at yours. I'm in Santa Cruz all the time.

Thanks! Your westy looks killer! I'd love to check it out myself. I've been waiting for a Santa Cruz aircooled or even bus only meet. I think I might talk to Bus Junkies to get something started.

Amskeptic wrote:
Can that poor bus clear the ubiquitous speed bumps and driveway drainage channels out there?

Colin, yes my poor bus can make it over speed bumps and up driveways with ease. I still take the thing camping as well and it does the job with no problem.

I'm trying to to rally some Bay Area VW'S to do a monthly meetup/Cruz.
Take a look at the link to a Facebook page in my sig.
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Nice work, You could paint the hubcaps and wheels the OEM color,

Hub cap: L 70 X grey silver.
Wheel disc, rim: L 581 cloud white

I think it would look cool with the OEM blue, some paint shops will mix up the OEM paint in a spray can for easy painting..

See OEM paint colors here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

Just a thought!

this is a "deluxe", it's got chrome all around the windows and on the belt line, it's supposed to have chrome hubcaps.

that bus looks awesome by the way, nice work.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

roland wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:
Nice work, You could paint the hubcaps and wheels the OEM color,

Hub cap: L 70 X grey silver.
Wheel disc, rim: L 581 cloud white

I think it would look cool with the OEM blue, some paint shops will mix up the OEM paint in a spray can for easy painting..

See OEM paint colors here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

Just a thought!

this is a "deluxe", it's got chrome all around the windows and on the belt line, it's supposed to have chrome hubcaps.

that bus looks awesome by the way, nice work.

O, well then carry on.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I just read your thread from start to finish...... I think you did a great job, the bus is looking really cool with that patina and the lowered stance is sick!
Well done, mate!!! Cool
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

A small update: I have not had a chance to go to the DMV yet but to coming Monday I will have time for sure. But all this waiting to do it is making me more and more nervous because of all of the bad stories I've heard of people's experiences trying to get YOM plates. I think I have all of my ducks in a row and I'm ready to tell them how to fill out the forms because I doubt that they know how to do it.

And I drove the thing in the rain... on highway 17! and it wasn't even scary. Worst thing was watching out for all the other jackasses that were speeding and losing control in the corners.
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

68Transporter wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

A small update: I have not had a chance to go to the DMV yet but to coming Monday I will have time for sure. But all this waiting to do it is making me more and more nervous because of all of the bad stories I've heard of people's experiences trying to get YOM plates. I think I have all of my ducks in a row and I'm ready to tell them how to fill out the forms because I doubt that they know how to do it.

And I drove the thing in the rain... on highway 17! and it wasn't even scary. Worst thing was watching out for all the other jackasses that were speeding and losing control in the corners.

If it's raining 17 is like a bumper car track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I was finally able to make it into the DMV today! And boy was it a nightmare. The actual YOM transaction with the lady behind the desk wasn't bad at all. She did everything correctly and I can't complain. What was so bad was the waiting. I waited for 3 and a half hours in there because I was number B066, and the machine that calls the numbers broke after B065 and didn't call any B numbers for another hour and a half. And of course they couldn't let me go up sooner because I had to "wait for my number to be called."

But the paperwork all got filled out correctly on both ends, I paid the full $45, the clerk photocopied the new plate, and I surrendered my old ones. I couldn't imagine it not getting approved, so now I wait for DMV headquarters to send me my 2017 registration sticker. In the meantime I get to display one of those stupid red tags in my rear window.

Here it is on the bus!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before that, I was working on the trunk area and treating the rust that was there so that I could go ahead and put some more sound deadening back there to hopefully cut down a lot on engine noise. I started with two coats of por15 and then top-coated that with some rust-oleum red primer. Next will be to cover it all with this big roll of fat mat that I have.

I also just received 5 of the window seals so those will be going in shortly as well becasue you can see in that last pic how much the old seals leak d'oh!
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Lookin good. Congratulation on making it out of the DMV.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Vova wrote:

Thanks, hahaha. Hardest thing I've done on this project thus far...
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

68Transporter wrote:
Vova wrote:

Thanks, hahaha. Hardest thing I've done on this project thus far...

The Los Gatos DMV is actually not too bad. I had to get dual registration on my rock crawler and it took about 1.5hrs.
Taking my bus to get smogged tomorrow. Wish me luck...
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Bummer, I'm very glad I have a 68 for that reason.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I have still been plugging away at little things on the bus. First thing was that I got the drivers side door seal on finally. I was holding this off until the other door seals settled. This way I could go in and out through those doors, leaving the drivers door closed for at least a week so it could get some memory of how it's supposed to sit. I also got the vapor guards on the front doors on but I think I might still tape around the edges just for more peace of mind that they won't allow water to come in contact with the door panels.

Next up, I tackled the fatmat in the trunk area. Completely covered this area to try and reduce engine noise as much as possible and you can definitely tell the difference. I doesn't sound like the engine in in there with you anymore. I can't wait to hear even more improvement when there is carpet, and the extra cushion when the bed is out on top of the fatmat.

I also thought that I would ask you guys if you know what this sticker could mean. My bus is a factory neptune blue bus, but there is this sticker that says Savannah Beige and the paint code, but under that sticker is neptune blue. And to my knowledge the bus has never had a respray. Anyone know what this sticker means? Does it have anything to do with the interior or could it just be a fluke from the factory?

Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Any fatmat in the doors? It makes a big difference...
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

When I had my engine and gas tank out of my 70', I covered the gas tank compartment with sound deadener, then reinstalled the tank. BIG difference in reducing engine noise for sure.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

68Transporter wrote:

I also thought that I would ask you guys if you know what this sticker could mean. My bus is a factory neptune blue bus, but there is this sticker that says Savannah Beige and the paint code, but under that sticker is neptune blue. And to my knowledge the bus has never had a respray. Anyone know what this sticker means? Does it have anything to do with the interior or could it just be a fluke from the factory?

Strange!
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Is that the interior color?
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Although I don't know the original interior color, I have been told all 68 buses imported to the US with a special paint code like mine, had a beige interior. But savannah beige l620 is an exterior paint code, which was one of the 5 colors available that year.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Alright everyone, I need some advice. I did an oil change a few days ago and ever since that the bus hasn't wanted to idle. Some time it just struggles to idle and sometimes it misses. It's much better at higher rpm's but it still seems a little off. Everything before the oil change was running mint. My question to you all is what do you think it could be?

So far I've checked for vacuum leaks by spraying some carb cleaner in the line all the way from the carb to where the manifold meets the head. Nothing. I've tried new plug wires and a new coil. Nothing. Adjusted the valves. Nothing. Cleaned the carb. Nothing. Checked for fuel pressure, it's got it. Fuel filter clogged up? Nope. Timing off? Nope, it's good.

I went ahead and ordered a new Bosch coil (the good one) and a new cap and rotor, although I don't really need them I figured it couldn't hurt at all. But I just can't figure this out and can't think of any way that the oil change had anything to do with it, or how this just happened all of a sudden. Any ideas?

(note: running compufire on 009 dizzy, with 34 pict 3)

Last edited by Trashman on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: