Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Well today was the day. The day the bus was finally back on al four wheels and much lower than it was when it went up on jack stands. I'm all done with this job, for now at least. (New shocks, tubs, and rear notches to come) I only ran into two hiccups on this final stretch. First one was that one of the Wagenswest drop spindles was not allowing the bottom ball joint to move freely. I found that odd since the other one was fine. So all I did was do a bit of clearancing with an angle grinder on the spindle. Second one was that when I lowered the bus down, the passenger wheel well was sitting on the wheel, so I had to move one of the adjusters one tooth up. That means in the the next couple months I'll be putting some tubs in and dropping the front a little more. Also, I'll be notching the frame in the back to be able to get it more level with the front. But when I took the bus on its maiden voyage today, it became very apparent that I needed new shocks. That shit was BOUNCY. Anyone have any recommendations on some good lowered shocks? Anyways, heres some pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I worked in the shop today on the drop plates for the rear and I was able to bust them out in no time. In fact, the part that took the longest amount of time was just figuring out how I was going to do it on paper. I ended up with 3" drop plates. I grinded the welds down on the front side for "show" and left them on the back for extra strength. The height might be a little bit lower since it's rubbing a little on the bump stop mount so I'll have to trim that a bit more. The whole process is pretty self explanatory so I'll just add a bunch of pictures.

Plates as I started with.

My original design.

Changed the design to this to fit the e-brake cables better.

Cut up.

Welded together (front side)

Welded together (back side)

Painted black.

In the bus with one spline lowered.

Bump stops removed.

Mocked up

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I had another productive day working on the bus today. I got the beam fitted up in the frame and bolted in with the help of my girlfriend. It fit perfectly. I couldn't be more pleased with the fit.

I haven't started put all the "accessories" back on the beam yet (like tie rods, spring packs, trailing arms, etc) since I needed to get started on the rear since my last day with shop access for this month is next thursday so I wanted to be extra sure that I had enough time and extra to finish any fabrication work that I need to do.

I really need to find a house with a garage or some kind of work space. I'm getting pretty tired of doing all this work on the street. Boo hoo! Not talking

So with the rear I successfully removed both spring plates and tomorrow I will start (hopefully finish) in turning them into 3" drop plates. I'm pretty confident that it will be an easy job, since the hardest part is making sure I make them at the correct angle for camber's sake. Trying to avoid as much camber as possible back there. Not only do I think it looks bad on a bus, but I'm not rich and don't want to be putting new tires on there more often than I have to. If I was rich I would probably just be buying all these parts and we wouldn't really have much of a build thread going on here. Wink

Speaking of being a cheap bastard, I've been contemplating on how I want to do my front end alignment. I've figured that the old string method is out of the picture since the front is now so much narrower than the rear. I found this thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315644 and think this might be my bet but I want to see if anyone has any other methods or has tried this one and liked it. I really don't feel like having a shop adjuster one tie rod for around $90. If I can get it good enough to drive it 50 miles I can get it done on a rack for free.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Haven't updated this in a little bit and I figured I would share since I've been making a ton of progress on the beam. Actually, I finished it. All that's left is to install it. I've been able to spend more time in the shop the past week because I am now the monitor so I can get 24 hour access. Well, here are some pictures.

Spring packs narrowed, drilled, and ends chamfered.

Beam side plates and gussets welded on.

Temporary supports removed.

Center pin carrier welded back on.

Hanging up in the middle of painting.

And the finished product.

Now I just have to get that installed and then I cat move to the rear for making some drop plates. That should go much much quicker. Heck, I might even be driving the thing again by the end of the week. This is my daily driver by the way.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Today I did some more work on the beam. Wish I was able to accomplish a little bit more though. Isn't that always the case? I finally started work on the end plates and got them rough cut out with an oxy-acetylene torch and then clamped them together and finished them off with with an angle grinder. Then I went to drilling the holes. This is where I hit a snag. I started drilling the first hole and it went through like butter. I was really happy with the way it worked. On to the second hole, doing everything the same, my plate work hardened on me. Thinking that it could possibly be the bit, I switch bits to a brand new one. It didn't do a thing. Every hole there after did the same thing. It just seems so odd to me since the first one went through so nicely and I wasn't doing anything different on the others. Tomorrow I think I will try using a masonry bit since I've heard maybe people having success using those with hardened steel. Anyone have any other suggestions? After that strike to my motivation I started working on the tie rods. Got 2.5" cut out of both of them and Got them welded back together. Easy job. I won't bother saying my method since it seems everyone has their own opinion on how to narrow them and I'll just assure you that these are safe and stronger than they were when I took them off. Hopefully I can get that drilling issue sorted out this week and narrow the spring packs and then we should be ready to go!

And here is a picture of the beam all ready to receive the end plates.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I got all of the paint on the passenger side off and buffed and waxed it today. That means that I was finally able to put my trim on! I wasn't able to put on the rear corners though because of the one side still being all dented up and the other side has a little bit of paint that still needs to be removed. Other than that I'm super happy with the way that it's looking.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

SO CLOSE TO FINISHING THIS SIDE!

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Did some more work on the paint today. Getting really close to having the passenger side of it finished. I finished spraying the rear panel and the color is a tad darker than the rest of the paint but I think that it's damn near close enough. I put a picture of the rear of the bus even though there isn't much progress but I want your guys' opinion. The plan was originally to paint the hatch like the other panel but the yellow is growing on me. What do you guys think, keep it or paint it?

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Got the adjusters in today and didn't start on the end plates. Can't do any more work until Tuesday next week since the shop isn't open. I guess that means I have to work on that paint again for 4 days. I'll post some picture updates of that tomorrow or the next day as I haven't update you all on that in a bit. Here's a picture of the adjusters welded in. I've done a little more cleaning up of everything since this picture but you'll see that on Tuesday when I start with the end plates.

Last edited by Trashman on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I started on narrowing my beam this week. It's probably going to take at least another week as I can only have access to the shop 3 days a week, but I think I'm making fairly good progress. So far I have the beam narrowed 5 inches and welded back together, braces welded on and the OG shock towers cut off. Now I'm just cleaning it up a bit and cutting out the new shock towers out of some 1/4" plate. Hopefully I will be able to get my WW beef cake adjusters welded on by the end of today but that might be a little optimistic. Anyways, here are some pictures of my progress. I will update with more pictures when I can.

Just to add, I will also be installing WW drop spindles when everything is all said and done. The rear of the bus will have some custom drop spring plates that I'm making and dropped a spline or two.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Well I haven't posted an update on here for a while simply because work on the bus had to take a temporary break since I was moving and dealing with school some more, and some oral surgery to top it off. I have gotten a little bit done though. I took down the one rear passenger panel down to bare metal as there was no original paint on there and hit it with a few coats of primer and put some fresh seam sealer in the seam back there too as the old stuff was replaced by bondo in some spots and was just looking a little sad. I also started to uncover what was under the bondo on the rear drivers side corner. It was in better shape than I expected but I wasn't expecting that big hole in the middle. I guess I have a little bit of welding to do back there.

And speaking of welding, I started ordering some of the parts to narrow my beam and put adjusters on it. Oh, and also make some custom rear springs plates. It should be a lot of fun. Sometimes I think I should re-evaluate my priorities as I'm buying parts to lower the bus before it even has door seals but then I always say "it's summer time. Who needs door seals anyways? It's not even raining outside yet" Hopefully I will wise up soon hahaha
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

It's hard to beat that color, congrats.
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Looks so much nicer. Love that colour!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

it was probably worth more if the PO had left it that Neptune blue instead of spraying it with gray primer. If you repaint all of it properly be sure to get before photos for a future buyer so they know you weren't painting it to hide anything.

*You can do it right the first time, or do it over, the choice is yours. It is a free country. As to brakes, steering, tires, axles etc. - you may only get one chance at doing those right.

* VW Buses and VW cars share many of the same systems but if you haven't owned a bus and maintained it for awhile, you really don't know how different it is.

1971 (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Well color me Neptune, that thing ROCKS.

What type of scrub are you using? You said a clean rag to wipe it off, but are you scrubbing with 0000 steel wool? Scotchbrite pad?

Razz

Thanks Tony! I'm just using a regular rag for the scrubbing. I am afraid that something tougher would hurt the paint and the more porous it is the less it holds in the nail polish remover. Just a lot of elbow grease!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Well color me Neptune, that thing ROCKS.

Got a question for ya on removing the primer.

You're using oven cleaner, letting it sit for less than 10 minutes.

You're using acetone free nail polish remover afterward to get the small stuff.

What type of scrub are you using? You said a clean rag to wipe it off, but are you scrubbing with 0000 steel wool? Scotchbrite pad?

Just wondering, I have a lil bit of spray paint to remove still. Razz
1978 Champagne Edition II (Jan - sold)
1978 Westfalia Auto Deluxe (sold)

78Kombi wrote:
dude but im a nigerian prince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Alright guys. I have been putting in quite a bit of work into the paint of the bus since I last posted. I have been continuing the method I said works best for me before, the oven cleaner then nail polish remover, but I have been a little heavier on the oven cleaner since it makes the job so much easier. What I have been doing is spraying on the oven cleaner and then once a significant amount of the blue is exposed I go in painting on the stuff with a brush so I don't ruin the blue. Then, once I've gotten to a point where there isn't enough primer to really paint on, I go in with the acetone free nail polish remover. After that I give it one final wipe down with the nail polish remover with a clean rag and then get to buffing with a rubbing compound. I have yet to wax anything because there are some spots that I may want to buff out a little bit more. I really love the patina it has on it too. But I guess pictures do all the talking so here ya go!

First one here is with the gauge cluster and glove box stripped back to black.

This is with the whole passenger side sprayed with oven cleaner without any painted on yet.

This is the start of buffing.

Finished product on the front, just not waxed.

And the side. Needs some more buffing in spots and a wax.

I also through on some new tires yesterday and feel much better about driving it longer distances now. I know the front tires look very small but I'll need them that small once it is lowered, which shouldn't be happening too long from now. I also fixed my fuel gauge as it wouldn't register anything before and now it's all good. I don't feel like I have to fill up nearly as often hahaha. Hopefully within another week, I can get the passenger side and rear all stripped down. I do have to repaint the panel that the fuel fill is on since it was taken down to bare metal for the art that was on it and the engine hatch because it was a replacement and it yellow. I also picked up a hub cap from a local antique store since I was missing one. Got it for 8 bucks. I'm feeling really good about all of it though!
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I do have a question for everyone out there. On the opposite rear corner of the bus there is some sheet metal damage and I want to pound it out a bit from the inside. Is there any way I can remove some of the interior sheet metal to get to it or do I just have to reach my arm up on there with a hammer from the engine compartment? Thanks.[/quote]
Be careful on that corner. Watch a bunch of videos on YouTube about bumping metal first. If you bang it out from the inside, it will stretch the metal and be very hard to reshape. Find a book called Metal Bumping( I found it free on web) short but explains metal work by simple methods. Basically, you need to do opposite of what you think, first remove secondary damage, (usually removes most of the dent!) Then smooth dented area. Watch glide kings videos. Though they are on a splitter, they show very good repair technique.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

So I was able to do some more paint stripping yesterday and boy are my hands sore now. It's coming along slowly, but never the less coming along. I have found the best way to strip the paint though. What I have been doing is spraying down the panel with heavy duty safeway brand oven cleaner and letting that sit for a little less than ten minutes or so. Then I'll hose that off and wipe off all the primer that didn't come off after hosing it. Then I go in with the acetone free nail polish remover by hand to finish up the remainder of it. I like doing it this way because the oven cleaner does the bulk of the job without really touching the blue, and then I can finish by hand when I have more control. Heres what we're looking like right now. The front is about 75% done with the nail polish remover and the side is just oven cleaner right now.

Got some nice patina going up above the vent. I like it a lot.

I can't wait to get it all off so I can give her a polish I can put my deluxe trim on!

Last edited by Trashman on Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:04 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

68Transporter wrote:
OG neptune blue.

gangsta gangsta

damn, why would anyone want to cover up that blue? It's coming back REALLY nice. Good work. More pics!!
1978 Champagne Edition II (Jan - sold)
1978 Westfalia Auto Deluxe (sold)

78Kombi wrote:
dude but im a nigerian prince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: