Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Buying parts for the bus currently because what better thing to do when it's raining? hahaha. Anyways, I'm ordering some more window seals from WW and I'm remembering that I am missing the deluxe window trim on my passenger side, rear full window (the one without the vent window). I've been having a hard time finding some good aluminum trim for this window in particular. Anyone had any luck finding this anywhere? Or has anyone just used a roll of the stuff and cut it to fit?
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Vova wrote:
Supposed of rain through Friday.

Damn, I guess I'll be tinkering in the rain this week Laughing
Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

68Transporter wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Do this. Crack the pilot jet about an 1/8 of a turn. Will it idle now when the choke opens? If so, tighten the pilot jet gently and turn both adjustment screws out 3.5 turns and see if it idles when the choke warms up and opens.

I'll try this when it stops raining, if it ever does today. But my only concern is that it ran fine when I parked it a couple days ago and i didn't touch the carb. But I guess anything is worth a try when you're stuck.

khalimadeath wrote:
Did you check your spark plug wires? Those look like the Napa brand, may have bumped one loose. Ive done that before.

Spark plug wires are brand new and I think I check them every time I've been in there hoping that it would be the problem. Unfortunately, there always on there nice and snug.

Just finished riding by UCI. Supposed of rain through Friday.
https://www.facebook.com/Bay-Area-VW-Owners-1464253410267781/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Do this. Crack the pilot jet about an 1/8 of a turn. Will it idle now when the choke opens? If so, tighten the pilot jet gently and turn both adjustment screws out 3.5 turns and see if it idles when the choke warms up and opens.

I'll try this when it stops raining, if it ever does today. But my only concern is that it ran fine when I parked it a couple days ago and i didn't touch the carb. But I guess anything is worth a try when you're stuck.

khalimadeath wrote:
Did you check your spark plug wires? Those look like the Napa brand, may have bumped one loose. Ive done that before.

Spark plug wires are brand new and I think I check them every time I've been in there hoping that it would be the problem. Unfortunately, there always on there nice and snug.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

68Transporter wrote:
Can't hurt!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stick the choke heater wire back between the carburetor and the fan housing on its way to the electromagnetic cut-off solenoid that is wired to the + 15 coil terminal. Its current location is close to the throttle lever/spring.
Colin
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

68Transporter wrote:
I just cleaned any bits of crud out of the bowl and checked if there was anything clogging up the jets. I haven't adjusted it for about six months now and when I did, I did it to the specs on this website. http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/ntnb/Carb_Instructions.htm
Just checked the volume and it is out about 2.5 turns and the bypass is about 2 turns out. But I did not fudge with these at all when I cleaned it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I just cleaned any bits of crud out of the bowl and checked if there was anything clogging up the jets. I haven't adjusted it for about six months now and when I did, I did it to the specs on this website. http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/ntnb/Carb_Instructions.htm
Just checked the volume and it is out about 2.5 turns and the bypass is about 2 turns out. But I did not fudge with these at all when I cleaned it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

My bet is something is still in your idle circuit. Out of curiosity, did you adjust your carb at all? You said you cleaned it out? Tell us how you have the bypass and volume screws adjusted?

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Can't hurt!

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

hmm post a pic of you engine bay just for s&g. Then we can brainstorm from there.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Yes hahaha. And thats what I'm thinking, but what??? I have been going over every little thing and nothing is standing out as a problem yet.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I assume you put the correct amount of oil in? You may have just bumped something while filling the oil, the engine bay can be tight.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Alright everyone, I need some advice. I did an oil change a few days ago and ever since that the bus hasn't wanted to idle. Some time it just struggles to idle and sometimes it misses. It's much better at higher rpm's but it still seems a little off. Everything before the oil change was running mint. My question to you all is what do you think it could be?

So far I've checked for vacuum leaks by spraying some carb cleaner in the line all the way from the carb to where the manifold meets the head. Nothing. I've tried new plug wires and a new coil. Nothing. Adjusted the valves. Nothing. Cleaned the carb. Nothing. Checked for fuel pressure, it's got it. Fuel filter clogged up? Nope. Timing off? Nope, it's good.

I went ahead and ordered a new Bosch coil (the good one) and a new cap and rotor, although I don't really need them I figured it couldn't hurt at all. But I just can't figure this out and can't think of any way that the oil change had anything to do with it, or how this just happened all of a sudden. Any ideas?

(note: running compufire on 009 dizzy, with 34 pict 3)

Last edited by Trashman on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Although I don't know the original interior color, I have been told all 68 buses imported to the US with a special paint code like mine, had a beige interior. But savannah beige l620 is an exterior paint code, which was one of the 5 colors available that year.

Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Is that the interior color?
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

68Transporter wrote:

I also thought that I would ask you guys if you know what this sticker could mean. My bus is a factory neptune blue bus, but there is this sticker that says Savannah Beige and the paint code, but under that sticker is neptune blue. And to my knowledge the bus has never had a respray. Anyone know what this sticker means? Does it have anything to do with the interior or could it just be a fluke from the factory?

Strange!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

When I had my engine and gas tank out of my 70', I covered the gas tank compartment with sound deadener, then reinstalled the tank. BIG difference in reducing engine noise for sure.

Vova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Any fatmat in the doors? It makes a big difference...
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I have still been plugging away at little things on the bus. First thing was that I got the drivers side door seal on finally. I was holding this off until the other door seals settled. This way I could go in and out through those doors, leaving the drivers door closed for at least a week so it could get some memory of how it's supposed to sit. I also got the vapor guards on the front doors on but I think I might still tape around the edges just for more peace of mind that they won't allow water to come in contact with the door panels.

Next up, I tackled the fatmat in the trunk area. Completely covered this area to try and reduce engine noise as much as possible and you can definitely tell the difference. I doesn't sound like the engine in in there with you anymore. I can't wait to hear even more improvement when there is carpet, and the extra cushion when the bed is out on top of the fatmat.

I also thought that I would ask you guys if you know what this sticker could mean. My bus is a factory neptune blue bus, but there is this sticker that says Savannah Beige and the paint code, but under that sticker is neptune blue. And to my knowledge the bus has never had a respray. Anyone know what this sticker means? Does it have anything to do with the interior or could it just be a fluke from the factory?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: